Best Advice for failing system drive and backup strategies RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have seen several people in various forums have problems in replacing the system drive.  Mine seems to be getting flaky, so I'm worried.  From what I've seen in forums if you are "unlucky" then one might even have to go inside the folders in the individual drives and manually pull off the files (which, of course are not on any particular drive) and will be duplicated across the WHS server as I have duplication enabled.

So it seems to me that I need to make another backup of my files (about 12 TB).  This means I will have two copies in WHS and one stored externally. 

Is this what you would do with a failing system drive or would you just wait and hope?  Replace it before it fails?? other strategy???

Also, the prospect of making another copy of my files makes me question whether WHS is worth the trouble.  I do not see why WHS (and apparently VAIL) will not allow me to make a copy of the system partition, particularly with the horror stories on recovering out on the web.)  Does anyone else have a problem with this or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?  I am thinking about just turning off duplication and storing a backup copy externally, but it seems that this would be a lot easier if I could tell WHS where to store my folders -- books on disk 1, Video on disk 2... I guess I just need to keep each of my folders under 2TB.

Thanks

BTW -- I'm glenn, not Britni--sorry guys I do not match her.  Some gremlin in the logon that I just noticed.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:10 PM

All replies

• Definitely do not use a cloned system drive. While you can hack the registry, it may not often work.

Your best chance is to put in a new system disk (with your current data disks) and try a "server reinstallation"

Otherwise, install a new disk (without your data disks) and do a new installation. Then manually copying over your data.
    If your new disk is sufficiently big enough, you can move data one disk at a time so that you don't need to invest in a completely new set of disks just to copy.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:20 PM