Program Launcher Add-In RRS feed

• General discussion

• While working on my first add-in I got really annoyed at having a console and a remote desktop session open to check the event log and iis admin tools. So I whipped up a quick add-in that will let you launch any app you want from the console.

Let me know what you think, it is a little hard to do any serious testing with only the one WHS so let me know about any bugs, problems or requests.

http://www.danno.ca/blog/Quick+WHS+AddIn+Program+Launcher.aspx

Dan
    Friday, July 20, 2007 2:44 AM

All replies

• Absolutely perfect! Just what I was looking for. Great work!
    Friday, July 20, 2007 3:13 AM
  • That's quite handy! First thing I added was Task Manager

At the moment the add-in extracts the first icon in the exe to show. This is usually a 32bit colour (with alpha channel) icon, but the ListView being used to display the icon doesn't appear to support the alpha channel (and renders it black). A bit visually jarring. Regardless of how easily fixable this is, a suggestion would be to let us specify what icon to use for a particular shortcut.

Friday, July 20, 2007 10:58 AM
  • hornetfig  - Yea I noticed that either the RDC or Win2k3 has problems with some of the icons, it refused to show the icon for any .msc's I added as well.  I'll extract all the icons and let you pick which one you want to use. 

Keep an eye out for another release next week.

Dan
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:15 PM
  • ok had some time this morning (I created the time, I will pay for this later)

But give the new build a try if you are having problems with the icons

http://www.danno.ca/blog/WHS+Program+Launcher+Quick+Update.aspx
    Friday, July 20, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Thank you very much for this , its just what i wanted to start my cameras

kev

Friday, July 20, 2007 6:27 PM
  • dont you think this could be a little dangerus. I understand the point for doing it and it is a very good one at that, but the way the WHS team set up the WHS web Console was to limit the usablitly of the server, or else you mise as well just put RDC on your website. so now you are letting anyone who can access your server run any program they want on it. I will try it out but im just saying this could be very dangurous =).
    Friday, July 20, 2007 8:29 PM
  • I considered that, but here was my though process on it;
    You (the admin) should be the only one using the console.  To access the console you need to know the admin password, thus you have access to the entire WHS box anyways.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 8:34 PM
  • Nail on the head, Dannoh. No other PC's on the network have the Admin password saved in console, so there is no danger.

Sweet add-in!
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 12:43 AM
  •  "WHS Tab" on the settings tab

This was create by your ADD IN  -what is it for.

Version 1.0 caused a slow log on to the console and the browse  function was bring up an instance of the desktop with no way to return to the console.

Both seems to have been fixed by version 1.1

Very handy Admin tool.

Thanks for sharing

Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:56 AM
  • Very Nice!
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 3:39 AM
  •  ROUZA wrote:

"WHS Tab" on the settings tab

This was create by your ADD IN -what is it for.

Version 1.0 caused a slow log on to the console and the browse function was bring up an instance of the desktop with no way to return to the console.

Both seems to have been fixed by version 1.1

Very handy Admin tool.

Thanks for sharing

I found that vs 1.1 still does this. Once the Desktop has been selected it becomes default view and then Console is a separate window. Instead of the other way around. You can bring console back by going to the start tab in the desktop and then selecting console icon. It takes a few seconds though...

Yeah, I noticed that the log on is quite slow. But overall it is nice. I put a link to my services so I can turn off uTorrent if needed. A little buggy, but very cool and I'm sure he's not done yet ;-)

Nice work!
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 5:49 AM
  • Very handy indeed, well done Dan.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:37 AM
  • Yea I'm still working on some of the problems. 

I totally forgot to remove the settings tab, my bad Smile

As for the missing console, the best way to get it to be the default back to the console is to logoff the win2k3 session.

Dan
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:39 PM
  •  DannOh wrote:
    Yea I'm still working on some of the problems. 

I totally forgot to remove the settings tab, my bad

As for the missing console, the best way to get it to be the default back to the console is to logoff the win2k3 session.

Dan

The browse problem seems to have been fixed by Version 1.1 ,so I do not have the "desktop" issue again.

I would still like to know what was your intentention when you created the "WHS Tab".

Now I do not have to use RDP to the server.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 3:31 PM
  • The WHS Tab was probably an accident. By default when you create a settings tab using the SDK that is the name that the SDK uses.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:09 PM
  • Yea that was on my mental check list to remove and somewhere along the way it fell off the list Smile  New version will be posted today or tomorrow with that fixed up.

Dan
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 3:08 PM
  • Ok I've pushed a new 1.2 version up on my site, all that is addressed is removing the useless settings tab.

http://www.danno.ca/blog/WHS+Program+Launcher+12.aspx

Dan Forsyth
    Friday, August 3, 2007 2:32 PM
  • Vs 1.2 seems to work nicely. Thanks

I was wondering.... If you open the WHS Desktop using Program Launcher.. Then close out of Console...  Does Program Launcher  log  us out of the WHS Admin user account?  It seems to re-log in very quickly until after a reboot. 
    If you choose the Log Off option while on the WHS Desktop, you barely have time to click Yes....

Just wondering if that was ever really worked into this Add-In.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 2:59 AM
  • When you run that, it is just executing the same commands that your 'Show Desktop' command in your quick launch bar.  Nothing special.

Dan
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 3:03 AM
  • Thanks DannOh. Makes sense now.
    Sunday, August 5, 2007 3:59 AM
  • Excellent add-in. The best one yet.

Dawg.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 5:38 AM
  • Great Add-in.

Just FYI.  Now that you can get to Explorer from the console, you can also get to any computer's hard drive on the network. 

I know that you can remote control to a client machine from the console, but if all you want is a couple of files from a pc, then all you need to do is open explorer in the console and type \\pcname\c$.  It will ask you for a username and password and your in.

Nice.

Thanks.

Friday, October 26, 2007 1:33 PM
  •  

hy there

nice add-in, but I noticed a reproducable bug: I wanted to add a new shortcut to close the console ["c:\windows\system32\taskkill.exe" /IM homeserverconsole.exe] but after I click OK, the console crashes. after a restart, the shortcut is still not there. any reason for this? or could you hardcode this command?

Friday, November 30, 2007 8:14 AM
  • Hey Bouncy, I will for sure take a look at that for you this weekend.  Off the top of my head, a workaround might be to just create a KillConsole.bat file and add that to the launcher. 

I assume right now I'm choking on the arguements to your command.

Dan
    Friday, November 30, 2007 12:49 PM