none
Termination Digits.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I have a simple question.

How would I create a termination digit? For example, if I wanted the pound sign to indicate the end of my input, what

would be the steps to do this?

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:07 PM

Answers

1. Consider the usability of a termination digit.  Sometimes a termination digit is not necessary, but other times it is.
    2. Construct a DTMF grammar that has a sequence of rule-ref items that point to the built-in DTMF library grammar, ending with a single # item as your termination digit.  The first sequence might have an optional min and max number of repetitions, depending on your situation.
    3. Incorporate your new grammar into your voice response application.  Tune the timeouts, such as CompleteTimout and IncompleteTimeout.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:14 AM
  • More info

1. the # sign is the industry standard for terminating grammars

2. It is normally only used when there is a variable amount of digits to enter. If you have a gramamr can accept from 4 to 9 digits then if there is no terminating digit a user that only enters 4 digits has to wait for the grammar to timeout before his input is accepted.

3. Kai's step number 3 is very important - tune those timeout so that things don't feel unnatural for the user.

Friday, February 29, 2008 2:11 PM

All replies

1. Consider the usability of a termination digit.  Sometimes a termination digit is not necessary, but other times it is.
    2. Construct a DTMF grammar that has a sequence of rule-ref items that point to the built-in DTMF library grammar, ending with a single # item as your termination digit.  The first sequence might have an optional min and max number of repetitions, depending on your situation.
    3. Incorporate your new grammar into your voice response application.  Tune the timeouts, such as CompleteTimout and IncompleteTimeout.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:14 AM
  • More info

1. the # sign is the industry standard for terminating grammars

2. It is normally only used when there is a variable amount of digits to enter. If you have a gramamr can accept from 4 to 9 digits then if there is no terminating digit a user that only enters 4 digits has to wait for the grammar to timeout before his input is accepted.

3. Kai's step number 3 is very important - tune those timeout so that things don't feel unnatural for the user.

Friday, February 29, 2008 2:11 PM