cannot open backups after installing powerpack 1 (WHS) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, i just bought a windows home server license and sofar it has been a great product.

The only thing is that after installing powerpack 1 (i did so because my main computer is running vista x64, and i want it backed up) i cannot open the backups anymore...
    When i try to do so, the opening process hangs at 6 % and shortly after that i get the message that the "backup service is not running on server "server"" anymore. This problem rears it's ugly head at all 3 client computers on my network (vista ultimate x64, XP pro x32 and xp home x32)

When i first encountered this problem i used the standard tricks to try and solve it: deïnstalling and reinstalling the connector software, that didn't help. Looking up the volume in device manager and tried deinstalling it, to no avail.
    Then i formatted my client computer, put a fresh install on the disk (vista u X64),
    (completely) formatted and  reinstalled the homeserver (yes, after backing up the files  ) and finally installed the connector software again, but it gave the same error.

I ran the toolkit from a XP pro x32 machine, all it said that a DHCP server was not found, but it isn't necesary because i gave al the computers fixed ip-adresses. my router does still support DHCP by the way.

I hope you guys can help me because i've been searching the net for an answer but i did not find a good solution sofar...

Greetings

Tom
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 12:28 AM

All replies

•  TomS85 wrote:
    Hi there, i just bought a windows home server license and sofar it has been a great product.

The only thing is that after installing powerpack 1 (i did so because my main computer is running vista x64, and i want it backed up) i cannot open the backups anymore...
    When i try to do so, the opening process hangs at 6 % and shortly after that i get the message that the "backup service is not running on server "server"" anymore. This problem rears it's ugly head at all 3 client computers on my network (vista ultimate x64, XP pro x32 and xp home x32)

When i first encountered this problem i used the standard tricks to try and solve it: deïnstalling and reinstalling the connector software, that didn't help. Looking up the volume in device manager and tried deinstalling it, to no avail.
    Then i formatted my client computer, put a fresh install on the disk (vista u X64),
    (completely) formatted and  reinstalled the homeserver (yes, after backing up the files  ) and finally installed the connector software again, but it gave the same error.

I ran the toolkit from a XP pro x32 machine, all it said that a DHCP server was not found, but it isn't necesary because i gave al the computers fixed ip-adresses. my router does still support DHCP by the way.

I hope you guys can help me because i've been searching the net for an answer but i did not find a good solution sofar...

Greetings

Tom

Did you try rebooting the server?

Also, I would suggest you post your question in the Power Pack 1 beta forum (and file a bug report on Connect).

Sunday, July 6, 2008 12:38 AM