Live OneCare doesn't start RRS feed

• Question

• I was backing up my hard drive before installing SP3, when I noiticed I had a blue screen. I thought it was a fluke, so I didn't write anything down. When I rebooted, Live One Care doesn't start. When I try to start it maunally I get a popup message stating that "Windows Live OneCare cannot conitinue. The Windows Live OneCare service is not working or has been stopped. To correct this problem, restart your computer. If the problem persists, contact support."
    I have restarted, several times. When I attempt to go to support, it requests my product ID key...which they insist is 20 digits long. My product key is 25 characters long. So I put it in as a Trial membership, hoping for the best on that one.

I also attempted a system restore, no luck on that.

Any suggestions on how to get Onecare back up on it's feet would be appreciated. Do I have to uninstall/reinstall?
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Uninstall/reinstall might be the best solution. After uninstalling One Care use the cleanup tool before reinstalling. One Care install cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:19 AM
  • I would also suggest that you not reinstall until after you have installed SP3.

-steve

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:37 PM
  •  

Thanks for the reply, I will give that a try.

I did hear back from the OneCare Support team, so I am working through them, but I thought I would add something else to the discussion: I just noticed that I have no sound. I am assuming this happened at the same time when the computer crashed, that is why I am including it in this thread.

When I go to the Device Manager, it recognizes the sound card, but if I go into the Sounds and Audio Devices, I have no devices listed. Do I have to reload drivers?

As I indicated earlier, I was performing a full backup using OneCare when I received the BSOD. Could that be causing the problem - if so what is the solution?

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:33 PM
  • You can certainly try reloading the sound drivers as they may have gotten hosed on the crash.

As for the BSOD, since it happened during a backup - it *could* have been a OneCare problem. Make sure that you mention this to support as they should be able to look at the Event Log on your PC to determine what process may ahve caused the BSOD - be it a driver problem or a program problem. I seem to recall a thread some time back where someone had to change the mode on the Disk Controller to resolve  BSOD problem that happened with Backup.

-steve

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:41 PM