Why is backing up FAT32 not supported? RRS feed

• Question

• I know this has been discussed in the past.... well more along the lines of, I can backup this particularly volume, well it's because it's FAT32 and that's not supported.

But I've never seen an explanation as to why FAT32 backup's aren't supported?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:05 PM

Answers

• The Windows Home Server home computer backup technology relies on Volume Shadowcopy Services to take a "snapshot" of a hard drive so that it can determine what has changed and start the backup of any new clusters to the home server.  Volume Shadowcopy Services works with NTFS formatted hard drives.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:20 PM

All replies

• According to this thread, because FAT32 is a shrinking percentage of drives.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:03 PM
  • But there's still an apparent bug in WHS' detection of NTFS drives

Mike

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:50 PM
  •  wenglish wrote:

But there's still an apparent bug in WHS' detection of NTFS drives

Mike

It is?

All mine are available.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:09 PM
  • The Windows Home Server home computer backup technology relies on Volume Shadowcopy Services to take a "snapshot" of a hard drive so that it can determine what has changed and start the backup of any new clusters to the home server.  Volume Shadowcopy Services works with NTFS formatted hard drives.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:20 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

The Windows Home Server home computer backup technology relies on Volume Shadowcopy Services to take a "snapshot" of a hard drive so that it can determine what has changed and start the backup of any new clusters to the home server.  Volume Shadowcopy Services works with NTFS formatted hard drives.

Right and Shadow Copy under Server 2003 only works with NTFS.... gotcha. A bit disappointing, but I can workaround it.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Actually, that's shadow copy on the client PC being backed up.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:26 AM
  • Because FAT32 has been dead for many years? It does have some use in mobile and flash drives, but thats about it. NTFS became the primary desktop filesystem over 5 years ago....

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 4:18 AM
  •  ChristianJohansson wrote:

It is?

All mine are available.

It appears to have something to do with missing drive letters on an otherwise apparently normal NTFS system. We never did get to the bottom of how systems got into this state (and the missing drive letter may have been a red herring, but it was the common denominator on the few people's systems that had the problem).

No-one was able to identify a bit to flip via some tool like Partition Magic, and no-one was able to explain the logic behind WHS' refusal to identify it as NTFS.

Mike

PS I'm not arguing that WHS should support FAT32, but it would be nice if it supported all NTFS systems.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 4:54 AM
  •  Proteus7 wrote:

Because FAT32 has been dead for many years? It does have some use in mobile and flash drives, but thats about it. NTFS became the primary desktop filesystem over 5 years ago....

Some use in mobile and flash drives? Mobile and flash drives are use more than just some little bit these days.

And I think it's more correct to say that NTFS become the primary windows desktop filesystem. Regardless this doesn't change the fact that there are still some network compatible devices that don't do NTFS. Therefore some of us can't completely do away with FAT32 partitions in our home networks...

No need to be haughty in your response to a simple question.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:02 AM