Adding SATA PCI card to WHS box RRS feed

• Question

• I am using an old 1.8GHz Dell Optiplex 240 as my WHS box.  It doesn't have SATA on the mobo and I would like to add SATA capabilities as larger hard drives are easier to get (and cheaper) than large IDE drives.  Is there anything I should watch for when buying or installing a SATA card? 

Would there be a speed difference between accessing the IDE drives with their controller on the mobo vs. the SATA drives with the controller attached to a PCI slot?

Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:51 PM

All replies

•  wayner9 wrote:

Is there anything I should watch for when buying or installing a SATA card?

Make sure you choose one with Windows Server 2003 drivers, as that's what WHS is built upon.

cheers,
    Ben
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having no issues with my Promise SATA300 TX2Plus and SATA300 TX4 PCI controllers and they are reasonably priced (Newegg.com and others).  I had some initial problems but worked through them without too much difficulty.  Check my post for the details. 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1549633&SiteID=50

Hope this helps.

-don

Friday, May 11, 2007 8:39 PM
  • I had my scsi 360 drive and it was cheaper to by a SATA II Raid controller and large drive than to get a new scsi hard drive.  I am having no problems with it.  I selected a Highpoint Rocket Raid 1742 because it supports both internal and eSATA external drives.  It seems to be working well and I can easily go over 1TB now.  We use the higher end Highpoint cards in servers where I work and quite frankly they perform very well.  The most demanding one I have worked with is in a Windows 2003 mail server where the mail store is about 9GB of live data at any time and about 330 GB total(about 1000 users).  It never even hiccups under the load and I do full backups every 6 hours.  (Home server system is HP X2100 P4 2.0ghz 1GB ecc RDRAM)
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 1:28 AM
  • The Highpoint Tech controllers when I last checked do NOT support SATA PM (port Multipliers) devices at all. They were touchy about the subject because they must be getting a lot of queries and apparentlty it isn't something they can fix with simply newer downloadable microcode.

Maybe their newest cards will support PMs.

Of course if you are positive (yeh, sure...) that you will never need more drive ports than the current controller or controllerS if you still have spare slots, then maybe you don't care about PMs. The previous real world problem has been running out of drive letters and so being forced into either RAID controllers, or using NTFS and mount points. Now WHS automates handling many drives on one letter, so PMs become very relevant.

Since you can't stack them N deep, hopefully someone comes out soon with a 15 port chipset.

Of course one can always use SAS controllers and their multiple expansion games and then you can use virtually unlimited 15K rpm drives, but also can jsut plug in your SATA drives, too.

SATA 600 isn't that far off, and we should se early product this year.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 6:47 AM