Fatal Flaw RRS feed

• Question

•  

There are many threads re "Live One Care has encountered a problem and needs to close" error

no one seems to have twigged to the fact that this error is 100% reproducible,

all you have to do is boot system from cold with connection to internet [cable whatever ] off !

if "current" dhcp gets screwed - bingo

it's nothing to do with dotnet 1 2 or 3

OneCare can't phone home on boot and crashes leaving the unwary exposed when the do attempt to connect to internet,

it's only then that one gets a warning

imho

Friday, March 14, 2008 10:51 PM

Answers

• That's certainly untrue in general, although it may be true in your situation for some reason. I regularly boot/start the PC with no active Internet connection.

If there is no connection, OneCare simply sits back. If the connection is restricted, check for updates will fail, but it simply tries again later.

The primary cause of the error is indeed .Net Framework 2.0 being corrupt, though there are many other reasons for the crash, including conflicts with other software and services not being present or started.

If you can reproduce the problem consistently as described, I would recommend contacting support and submitting your Support Logs to them.

-steve

Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:42 AM

All replies

• That's certainly untrue in general, although it may be true in your situation for some reason. I regularly boot/start the PC with no active Internet connection.

If there is no connection, OneCare simply sits back. If the connection is restricted, check for updates will fail, but it simply tries again later.

The primary cause of the error is indeed .Net Framework 2.0 being corrupt, though there are many other reasons for the crash, including conflicts with other software and services not being present or started.

If you can reproduce the problem consistently as described, I would recommend contacting support and submitting your Support Logs to them.

-steve

Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:42 AM
  • hi steve - done - thought it was a "feature" of beta blds

Saturday, March 15, 2008 7:09 AM
  • I see that 4 months ago in December this was an issue that was going to be "fixed"

This is very slack.

So much for Microsoft Security Credibility,

"

The Windows OneCare Service is not working or has been stopped. To correct this problem, try restarting your computer.  If the problem persists, contact support. "

steve.riley should know about this massive backdoor security issue !
    Monday, March 17, 2008 12:16 AM
  • Welcome back Malky !

Unknown Error
      We apologize, but an unknown error has occurred in the forums.

This error has been logged.

amazing

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:29 AM
  •  malky wrote:

I see that 4 months ago in December this was an issue that was going to be "fixed"

This is very slack.

So much for Microsoft Security Credibility,

"

The Windows OneCare Service is not working or has been stopped. To correct this problem, try restarting your computer.  If the problem persists, contact support. "

steve.riley should know about this massive backdoor security issue !

The cause of the problem in December was a problem with the updates from 1.6 to 2.0. The current cause of the problem is apparently usually due to .Net Framework security updates that are corrupting .Net, which OneCare needs to run.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:59 PM
  •  malky wrote:

Welcome back Malky !

Unknown Error
      We apologize, but an unknown error has occurred in the forums.

This error has been logged.

amazing

Yes, the forum back end has been experiencing problems over the past few days. I encountered a few of these earlier. Last Friday, the forum was pretty much broken for a few hours.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Hi Steve,

would a "repair" or reinstall of dotnet framework 2 sp1 help ?

rgds

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:14 AM
  •  malky wrote:

Hi Steve,

would a "repair" or reinstall of dotnet framework 2 sp1 help ?

rgds

If OneCare refuses to open and you encounter the error "OneCare has encountered a problem..." at startup, the solution typically is to completely remove and reinstall .Net Framework 2.0. Something about the SP1 update has corrupted some .Net Framework 2.0 installations.

-steve

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:55 AM