none
V24 text/html RRS feed

All replies

•  
    Some text
    A reply.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:06 PM
  • A reply.

Forum quoting.   Nothing but blockquote tag.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:12 PM
  •  
    A reply.

WLMail only shows blockquote by indentation, no background color.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:14 PM
  •  
    A reply.

What attributes am I allowed to use on the Blockquote opening tag?
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:19 PM
  •  

A reply.

Ctrl-F3 shows that my guess at a style attribute was deleted somewhere.

Next.   Do I have to delete the header that WLMail creates?

Oh!  Interesting.   Where is that domain name coming from?   That is the old domain name.   I had tried to change it to just  communitybridge.codeplex.com.  So now I'm back to my original issue of not knowing when that value changes...

This time I tried changing it before starting the bridge, even before signing in, so it looks as if we really need to make changes, quit and reopen the app in order to use them.  That's Ok I suppose provided that quirk is documented.  I don't think that that functionality seems natural.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:28 PM
  •  

A reply.

Oh!  Interesting.   Where is that domain name coming from?   That is the old domain name.   I had tried to change it to just  communitybridge.codeplex.com.  So now I'm back to my original issue of not knowing when that value changes...

This time I tried changing it before starting the bridge, even before signing in, so it looks as if we really need to make changes, quit and reopen the app in order to use them.  That's Ok I suppose provided that quirk is documented.  I don't think that that functionality seems natural.

We have the technology!   style="background-Color: teal"

What does  WLMail  think about this?

Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:38 PM
  •  

A reply.

It likes it!

WLMail in turn can provide Highlight: LightGreen.   What's the HTML for that?

Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:42 PM
  •  

A reply.

It likes it!

style="background-color: #ccffcc"  on all related span tags.   So that's useful for highlighting bits of text but not what I want for providing a distinctive background.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:51 PM
  •  

A reply.

It likes it!

style="background-color: #ccffcc"  on all related span tags.   So that's useful for highlighting bits of text but not what I want for providing a distinctive background.

I should have applied my teal again before submitting?   This was originally Ctrl-a Highlighting LightGreen, then Decrease Indent.   Decrease Indent retained the Highlighting so this paragraph has Highlighting set to White.

Now what happens if I start a new paragraph after changing the highlighting?   It's still white.   Good.  And textsize is back to being small.    Hmm...   WLMail!
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:57 PM
  •  
    I should have applied my teal again before submitting?   This was originally Ctrl-a Highlighting LightGreen, then Decrease Indent.   Decrease Indent retained the Highlighting so this paragraph has Highlighting set to White.

Now what happens if I start a new paragraph after changing the highlighting?   It's still white.   Good.  And textsize is back to being small.    Hmm...   WLMail!

The background in the new paragraph was different!  
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:01 PM
  •  

I have been using the wrong tool!  There is a background color tool.   Unfortunately WLMail seems to be ignoring that I also have changing the "highlighting"  (aka spanned text background-color).   Let's see what the forum does with this...
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:07 PM
  •  

I have been using the wrong tool!  There is a background color tool.   Unfortunately WLMail seems to be ignoring that I also have changing the "highlighting"  (aka spanned text background-color).   Let's see what the forum does with this...

Cute.   The forum ignored  WLMail's background color (Lavender).   Ok  So I can give it some Purple.  (No Lavender in base colors.)

Before posting this let's look and see what was transmitted for that Lavender Background-Color spec...   Oh.  It used  bgColor=#cc99ff  on the Body tag.   That would be the whole document.  No wonder it was ignored.   So without an HTML source editor in WLMail how can I do the equivalent of changing the style of a blockquote tag?   Now, of course before posting this I should apply that style to this post's blockquote tag...  I forgot.  It's purple already.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:17 PM
  •  

Retrying this after closing the bridge.   Take note of the Message-ID now.  So probably just enough to reply to this and retain the reply header.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:11 PM
  •  

Retrying this after closing the bridge.   Take note of the Message-ID now.  So probably just enough to reply to this and retain the reply header.

See header  or

QED.    Highlighting my findings above.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:17 PM
  •  

See header  or

I could also have remarked that that message was not threaded properly, only grouped due to common Subject.   E.g.  I had the entire thread marked with Watched Conversation and this message was not marked (because it doesn't have a common Message-ID.)

This message is expected to be threaded with the new one.   Also, I suppose I should reset and redownload to see what the threading looks like on the forum side...

Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:23 PM
  •  

See header  or

I could also have remarked that that message was not threaded properly, only grouped due to common Subject.   E.g.  I had the entire thread marked with Watched Conversation and this message was not marked (because it doesn't have a common Message-ID.)

This message is expected to be threaded with the new one.   Also, I suppose I should reset and redownload to see what the threading looks like on the forum side...

Now I have just noticed that there are spurious blanks inserted into the Message-ID above.   Where are they coming from?

The HTML editor on the forum is inadequate to highlight those blanks so I'll send this and do it with the WLMail highlighter.    ; )

Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:30 PM
  •  

See header  or

Now I have just noticed that there are spurious blanks inserted into the Message-ID above.   Where are they coming from?

The HTML editor on the forum is inadequate to highlight those blanks so I'll send this and do it with the WLMail highlighter.    ; )

See the bit of yellow in the pasted Message-ID above.   Other examples in previous messages.  Looks like it might be related to the blockquote tag.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:37 PM
  • All changes will be used immediately. But it will not be applied on alredy cached articles!
    Jochen Kalmbach (MVP VC++)
    Friday, June 4, 2010 7:35 PM
  • All changes will be used immediately. But it will not be applied on alredy cached articles!

That's what I was expecting to see.   Or at least that changes made in the current session before Start was used would be in effect. 

BTW Jochen how did you find this thread?  I put a link to it in

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=214503

in case you missed it there.

Thanks

Robert
    ---

Sunday, June 6, 2010 12:23 AM
  • Using this existing thread to test <pre> tag.   I just realized that this is the MS Sandbox not the Answers forum's Sandbox so this may not be where I should be doing this test.

maxling

it is with a   heart
        heavy

that i admit loss of a feline
      so   loved

a friend lost to the
      unknown
            (night)

~cdr 11dec07

Copied from  W3C example.

<samp>You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded
    front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

></samp> <kbd>open mailbox</kbd>

<samp>Opening the mailbox reveals:
    A leaflet.

></samp>

Ditto.   I'm not sure that that one was as successful.

So, what's the point of the Insert Code Block?

<pre><samp>You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded
    front door.

A leaflet.

></samp></pre>

Except for the box how is that different from just pasting it in rawly?

<pre><samp>You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded
    front door.

A leaflet.

></samp></pre>

Just the box AFAICS.   Check this.   E.g. using the HTML button do another paste and then insert <samp> inside the <pre>

<samp>You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded
    front door.

A leaflet.

></samp>

I didn't even need to add <samp>; it was already there.

The boxes were lost when I submitted?  So, you would probably want to use background color or something as well I suspect.   I'll copy the whole thing and try again in the Answers forum's Sandbox.   (This is an Edit.)

Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Test of the color block

SELECT path
    FROM sys.traces -- here is to find where the error log located
    WHERE id = 1;

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

• Edited by Naomi N Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:15 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:13 PM
  • SELECT path
    WHERE id = 1;

I don't think that this worked.   I had copied what remained of the above sample to Notepad and then done an Insert Code Block.   The preview showed that all the Upper-cased words were blue.  I don't think I had a chance to look at its HTML then.   Doing the Insert has left everything black but the sample is enclosed in a box (which I expect not to be there after I hit Submit.)

<edit>

Well blow me down!  It worked?  The box disappeared as expected but completely unexpected the uppercased words are now blue!

I just remembered something that I hadn't recorded yet.  When I had the HTML up I noticed that there were some blank lines at the bottom of the pre.  I had deleted those using the HTML view.

</edit>

Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:11 PM
  • One extra test step by step:

1. With code in clipboard click the code block, select SQL, and insert.

SELECT path
    WHERE id = 1;

-- I highlighted the code and pressed Insert code button again and added this comment

Now I've saved it and edit my post first time - just adding this line

Line1.

See my comment in the code - as you see, the code is no longer colored. What I did was - selected the code, press insert code block, make changes in the code. Now save the thread. After that, the code is no longer highlighted and any changes in attempt to fix will not work.

My blog

• Edited by Naomi N Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:21 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:17 PM
  • One extra test step by step:
    1. With code in clipboard click the code block, select SQL, and insert.

SELECT path
    WHERE id = 1;

-- I highlighted the code and pressed Insert code button again and added this comment

Now I've saved it and edit my post first time - just adding this line
    Line1.
    See my comment in the code - as you see, the code is no longer colored. What I did was - selected the code, press insert code block, make changes in the code. Now save the thread. After that, the code is no longer highlighted and any changes in attempt to fix will not work.

My blog

I didn't think that would work.   You need to Paste the code in ClipBoard before you click Insert.
    SELECT path
    WHERE id = 1;

;<edit>
    ;This is my code block. It is pink. Before making these changes I went into
    ;HTML mode and changed any other background-color white to pink.
    ;So I'm just typing here.   Actually typing and breaking the unwrappable lines
    ;with Shift-Enter for <br /> or Enter for <p>.
    ;I don't understand why I would  
    ;highlighted the code and pressed Insert code button again 
    ;to add a comment.   The stuff that I copied and pasted is green
    ;and that attribute is continuing in my additional comments.
    ;I'm going to go back into the HTML to fix this green (but leave the pasted green).
    ;ICIM the last two characters in the last line are outside the box.
    ;
    ; Also I just realized that I don't know how to comment in SQL. I'm going to
    ; insert a semicolon in column 1 (as a guess). ; )
    ;</edit>

So now I have the code inserted and in a box but it is not highlighted as we might expect due to the  pre lang="x-sql"
    So, now I click Submit to see if the highlighting will work after that.   I intend to come back in an Edit to say what happens after the Submit.

Before the Submit I went into HTML and found one  background-color  which I changed to  pink.

<edit>

Continuing edit, outside the box this time.   When I went into the HTML to fix the problem with the continuing green I think I can see a potential problem/s.   The SQL code is still in a pre block and its commands are blue but some of my comments have started new pre blocks which probably won't be interpreted as SQL comments.  So I didn't need to worry about how SQL comments are normally coded.   ; )
    </edit>

---

Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Edited byRobert Aldwinckle on forums<abbr class="affil">MVP</abbr>a few seconds ago
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/84cd51e4-09ae-48fc-b83a-e6a6cc067b10#7a65e84b-7f81-4088-ad44-8cc8758c16c4
    pasted into HTML source

A problem of the new policy of keeping only one Edit comment is that tracking of test changes is now more difficult.

Another problem is that paragraphs I insert when editing are being lost?  So it is not just color which is being lost on edits.  

This is an Edit with two new paragraphs added at the bottom.   What will happen?

No trouble at all.   So the loss of paragraphing in the test edit has something to do with the pre even though they are outside the pre?  Unbelievable.

Loss of paragraphing determined caused by inexplicable change of all p to div.

---

Saturday, October 8, 2011 4:41 PM
  • USE tempdb 

GO

ALTER PROCEDURE DropTable

(@TableToDrop sysname)

AS

IF EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA = 'dbo' AND TABLE_NAME = @TableToDrop)

BEGIN

DECLARE @Drop NVARCHAR(MAX)

SET @Drop = 'DROP TABLE ' + QUOTENAME(@TableToDrop)

EXECUTE (@Drop);

END

ELSE

RAISERROR ('Table to drop "%s" does not exist in the current database!',16,1,@TableToDrop);

GO

/*To Test

execute dbo.dropTable 'TableWhichNotExist'

*/

Pasted in a new reply.  Not an edit.

Edit:  Made it pink.  The code block became a DIV and my previous comment not a paragraph.  Made my previous comment a paragraph.

So, one possible workaround would be learning all the span style syntax and doing that edit.  Yuck.

Saturday, October 8, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Try the following:

USE tempdb 
    ALTER PROCEDURE DropTable
    (@TableToDrop sysname)
    AS
    IF EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA = 'dbo' AND TABLE_NAME = @TableToDrop)
       BEGIN
        DECLARE @Drop NVARCHAR(MAX)
        EXECUTE (@Drop);
       END
    ELSE
        RAISERROR ('Table to drop "%s" does not exist in the current database!',16,1,@TableToDrop);
    /*  Language says Unspecified?  Why?  The existing pre already had it specified.  */

This is the second edit, after the initial paste.   What I did this time is cut the entire sample and then paste it into a new Code block.   Cutting resulted in the pre block being deleted.   I don't think there was any change (in particular I still see lang="sql") but maybe by going into the Insert Code Block routine it will have set a switch allow it to be converted into an inserted pre block after I do Submit?

That didn't work.   I didn't like that  pre  being left in there.   So this time (third edit) I captured the SQL source in the HTML source edit with a Cut (Ctrl-x); then replaced the pre block with a text marker; then Updated.   Then did the Insert.  This time ICIM I indicated Language SQL before pasting.  The Preview button indicated it had worked.   What I see now (pre-Submit) is a box around uncolored code.   HTML view shows that that is what we had before.   So the only difference now is the state of the composition before using the Insert Code Block function and the way I used it.

Oops.  I didn't notice that somehow I had been getting div when I was expecting p.  That explains the missing paragraphs.  It may also help change the original symptom.   So on this edit I am just changing div to p.

This time I decided to go back and try my Notepad method.  I didn't like seeing &nbsp where I wanted to do my Insert Code Block so I made it an x and selected the x before I clicked on the button.  So now I know how the Insert Code Block is supposed to be used. ; )   Except for the fact that the Preview button is giving the code some coloring I'm beginning to wonder if there might be something wrong with the code...

This time I removed the pre by just pressing Backspace at the top of it.  That resulted in the code losing all formatting.  Nevertheless, selecting that blob of text and applying the Insert Code Block procedure fixed that.   So let's see what Submit gets this time....

WTH?  Back to the DIV instead of P again?  (With its stupid nbsp.  I left those in and just did a global change of div to p.)

One other point which may be relevant,  the pre is outside of any p.

What is  GO?   The Preview panel didn't recognize it; so I am changing it (two instances).   In fact, I also just deleted the whole last comment and deleted all extraneous newlines.

I just inserted the <div> that submitting the pre should have produced.   Also, why is the lang="sql" still there?  And then why is the Insert Code Block not using it?   Clearly the formatter is not doing anything with the pre after the Submit.   Why not?   It thinks it was already done somehow?  Maybe I should be avoiding the Preview button?

Did that.  Found I had two pre lang=.  Got rid of the outer pair.

---

New tack:

Same thing.  The Edit is ignoring code update.  

So the next thing to try is Delete.   First we "back up" the HTML.

Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:07 AM
  • This is a reply generated by modifying the URL implied by an RSS message link. Some modification was required. This was the link I chose to reply to: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/comsandbox/thread/47ec31a2-5e67-47ec-b738-d0f0d64d8f9f#268812c1-47b8-4a97-97ca-33e0d4ad3da5 This is how I modified it: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/comsandbox/thread/47ec31a2-5e67-47ec-b738-d0f0d64d8f9f/268812c1-47b8-4a97-97ca-33e0d4ad3da5/reply So tack on a /reply and convert the # to a slash. Will it work? Click Submit and find out!
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:57 PM
  • This is a reply generated by modifying the URL implied by an RSS message link. Some modification was required. This was the link I chose to reply to: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/comsandbox/thread/47ec31a2-5e67-47ec-b738-d0f0d64d8f9f#268812c1-47b8-4a97-97ca-33e0d4ad3da5 This is how I modified it: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/comsandbox/thread/47ec31a2-5e67-47ec-b738-d0f0d64d8f9f/268812c1-47b8-4a97-97ca-33e0d4ad3da5/reply So tack on a /reply and convert the # to a slash. Will it work? Click Submit and find out!

Evidently I wasn't aware that I was composing in Plain text.   Otherwise I would say the experiment was a success.

Try it again this time with a reply to this.   To do that instead of tacking on /reply I will tack on /quote (and convert the # to /).

This post was done normally.  It is a reply to this one that I want to be done via a modified RSS link.

---

Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:01 PM

Evidently I wasn't aware that I was composing in Plain text.   Otherwise I would say the experiment was a success.

Try it again this time with a reply to this.   To do that instead of tacking on /reply I will tack on /quote (and convert the # to /).

This post was done normally.  It is a reply to this one that I want to be done via a modified RSS link.

---

Yuck. Now it's clear that I am posting in Plain text. I put this in a p tag. And closed it. If we needed any more complicated HTML we could always generate it some other way, capture the HTML source and paste it in here. We have the technology!

• Edited by Robert Aldwinckle on forums Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:08 PM Fix sloppy wording. I don't think it was a problem with the technique.
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:05 PM