none
Microsoft Money increasing values RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Money 2003 on XP

MS Money suddenly  multiplies every value I try to input into any accounts so that 200 becomes 2,000,000.

Any suggestions what is causing this and how to fix it?

Since original post ;

I installed Money 2003 on another computer - (also xp) and moved the money data file onto that machine and... it worked perfectly.

I found  a solution that works;

I ticked the box in Options/Editing that says :"Automatically insert Decimal Point.

Then when inputting a value I either insert the dec point where I want it or I omit the dec point and let Money insert it which it does correctly in front of the last two digits entered. Eitherway so long as the button is ticked in options I get the right result.

If the button is unchecked then Money multiplies the inserted value by a factor of 1m.

So I think the glitsch is still there unless it disappears as I work with the file.

My laptop is going to be upgraded to  Windows 7 shortly and I guess I need to research if 2003 and Windows 7 are compatible.

None of the intermediate versions (2004 0r 2005) or Sunset could work work with my 2003 file 

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. Appreciate it

• Edited by AlanTC1234 Thursday, October 22, 2015 12:48 PM
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 6:38 AM

All replies

• Don't overwrite your backups. Make extra copies of your *.mbf files onto other media.

You could see if sample.mny or a new file has the same symptom. If so, reinstall Money. If not, try repairing your Money file. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466/en-us still works I think.

You could also try restoring your newest or second newest backup. You don't have different vintages of backup, rethink your backup strategy.  If restoring a recent backup  does not fix the problem, what currency is Money set for?  

Monday, October 19, 2015 7:43 PM
  • Thanks

My back up file, which is not as current as I would like, works perfectly

Also the current file works fine on another computer. 

I did run the repair utility but it did not fix the problem.

Base currency is South African Rand

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 3:43 PM
  • You could try making a copy of the (working) data file on the 'other' computer - rename it - bring it back to your original computer - and then 'open' that ~ and see what happens.

Otherwise, 

I suggest you create 'Reports' of transactions in each of your accounts, covering the period from the date of your perfect *.mbf backup to the date of your problematic *.mny file, and then 'Export' them. The export will be a *.txt file. Copy that onto your clipboard and then paste it into an new Excel spreadsheet. Divide each figure in the 'Amount' column by 10,000 and the answer should be the true figure. Use this information in the spreadsheet to bring each of your accounts in your old backup file up to date.

I name my backups 1-Monday, 2-Tuesday etc etc thro' 7-Sunday and, on exiting Money, I overwrite "Todays" backup whatever day that is. I can't see any point in retaining very old backups - as you will have found, it takes a long time to add all transactions to an ancient backup to bring it up-to-date.

Good luck

Teabag

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:00 PM
  • Since original post ;

I installed Money 2003 on another computer - (also xp) and moved the money data file onto that machine and... it worked perfectly.

In that case, I would reinstall Money 2003 on the problem computer.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:09 PM
  • Could there be something non-standard, on the dysfunctional computer, with your Windows Regional Settings?

Ron

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 8:24 PM