Backup a Window 2003 server to WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I know that WHS 2011 will not install the connector on a Windows 2003 server.  I say it is an unsupport OS.  However I ran across a blog from a fellow that show how he got WHS 2011 to connect to a Sever 2008 machine.  So my question is,  if this works on windows 2008 server is it possible to use the same type coding for a windows 2003 server?  Thanks for any and all input.

"Link to Blog

2. WHS2011 won’t backup a Windows 2008 Server

While the original WHS happily backed up all my servers, the WHS2011 connector would not install on my Windows 2008 server.

When I tried to install it, I got an error saying that the computer is running a version of the Windows Operating System that is not supported.

I got around this problem by loging into the WHS2011 server, and editing this file:

C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client\Package\supportedOS.xml

I added the following line to the XML:

<OS Architecture=”9″ RequiredProductType=”3″ RequiredSuite=”" ExcludedSuite=”" SPMinor=”" SPMajor=”2″ Build=”6002″ Minor=”0″ Major=”6″ Name=”Windows Server 2008, AMD64″ id=”7″/>

EDIT (January 2013).

For a Windows Server 2008 (service pack 2) machine, I added this line:

<OS id=”10″ Name=”Windows Server 2008 R2, AMD64″ Major=”6″ Minor=”0″ Build=”6002″ SPMajor=”2″ SPMinor=”" ExcludedSuite=”" RequiredSuite=”" RequiredProductType=”3″ Architecture=”9″/>

You can figure out what numbers to use by running the WinVer utility that comes with windows.  I.e. click on START / RUN and type WINVER [enter]

This will say something like:

Microsoft Windows Server:
    Version a.b (build cccc: Service Pack d)

Use “a” as the “Major” parameter.
    Use “b” as the “Minor” parameter.
    Use “cccc” as the “Build” parameter.
    Use “d” as the “SPMajor” parameter.

So my version of “Version 6.0 (Build: 6002: Service Pack 2)” translated to :
    Major=”6″ Minor=”0″ Build=”6002″ SPMajor=”2″

After adding this line, and rebooting the server, I was able to install the WHS2011 connector on my server, although I received a warning telling me the OS was not on the list of compatible operating systems.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:50 PM

Answers

• Unsupported is unsupported, I'm afraid. Microsoft doesn't support this configuration, they don't test for it, and they won't do anything to help if it turns out it doesn't work for you. So if you care about the data on your other servers, use a different backup method, possibly in addition to Windows Home Server, but definitely have a fallback plan.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, March 4, 2013 7:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:44 PM