I am unable to add or delete to a "Shared" folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have previously created a folder in my WHS V1 in the Shared Folders. I am now unable to add or delete anything to the folder or any folders within it. I am through needing it at this time, so ultimately I would like to delete the entire share. But I am unable to do anything with it at this time.

It shows in the list of shared folders with the Shared Folders shortcut on my client computers. I can also see it if I RDP into the server, but not able to change it from there either. If I open the WHS console it does not show under the Shared Folders tab. If I attempt to delete the folder I receive a Access Denied warning. Stating that I need permission from "S-1-5-21-16243.................. and a string of numbers.

Apparently the permissions have gotten changed somehow. How can I delete this share?

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 10:04 PM

Answers

• ... Thank you Ken, I know you don't want to deal with this one. I'm not sure how I created the folder, but it certainly was the wrong way. Lesson learned.

I'm glad you've learned something. I remember thinking once, after I'd done something I shouldn't have and before the consequences of my action jumped up and smacked me in the face "This is not going to end well, is it?" ( It didn't. :) )

It's really not that I don't want to deal with it. It's much more that if you did something "outside" Windows Home Server, it may not be possible for a third party (me) to do more than give very general guidance along the lines of "I'd try this, then that, but if it doesn't work I don't know where I'd go next." Which is kind of where we're at now, unfortunately.

Since you say you mapped the folder, have you removed those mappings on all clients? Is it possible you have some sort of media player device pointed at this folder? Look around; maybe you'll find the problem. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by RonRock Monday, February 20, 2012 3:55 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:06 PM

All replies

• Did you create the share originally using the console? If so, see Mark Vayman's first post here; follow his instructions for resetting permissions for that one share.

If you didn't create the share using the console, all bets are off.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:44 AM
  • The official Microsoft way:
    (An easier way follows)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

To take ownership of a file or a folder
    How to take ownership of a file
    You must have ownership of a protected file in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the file by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:
      1.. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
      2.. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
      3.. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
      4.. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the administrators group now owns the file.
    To change the permissions on the file that you now own, follow these steps:
      1.. Click Add.
      2.. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to have access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
      3.. Click OK.
      4.. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
      5.. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.
      6.. You can now access the file.
    How to take ownership of a folder
    You must have ownership of a protected folder in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the folder by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
      1.. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
      2.. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
      3.. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
      4.. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
      5.. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
      You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
      All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
      6.. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.
    The easier way:

http://www.askvg.com/add-take-ownership-option-in-file-folder-context-menu-in-windows-vista/--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I have previously created a folder in my WHS V1 in the Shared Folders. I am now unable to add or delete anything to the folder or any folders within it. I am through needing it at this time, so ultimately I would like to delete the entire share. But I am unable to do anything with it at this time.

It shows in the list of shared folders with the Shared Folders shortcut on my client computers. I can also see it if I RDP into the server, but not able to change it from there either. If I open the WHS console it does not show under the Shared Folders tab. If I attempt to delete the folder I receive a Access Denied warning. Stating that I need permission from "S-1-5-21-16243.................. and a string of numbers.

Apparently the permissions have gotten changed somehow. How can I delete this share?

BullDawg
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Did you create the share originally using the console? If so, see Mark Vayman's first post here; follow his instructions for resetting permissions for that one share.

I don't remember how I created the share. Is there a potential problem if I follow the instructions for resetting permissions then deleting the share, if I did not use the console? Not sure what you mean by "all bets are off"
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:59 PM

• "Not sure what you mean by 'all bets are off'"

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=all+bets+are+off+definition&l=1

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Did you create the share originally using the console? If so, see Mark Vayman's first posthere <http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/fa926206-8f78-4e32-ab9d-33f09013d224/>; follow his instructions for resetting permissions for that one share.

I don't remember how I created the share. Is there a potential problem if I follow the instructions for resetting permissions then deleting the share, if I did not use the console? Not sure what you mean by "all bets are off"

BullDawg
    Friday, February 3, 2012 12:21 AM
  • Thank you BullDawg. I understand the meaning of the phrase. The part I am unsure of is what it means in this context?

I intend to follow your direction and take ownership of the share to delete it. But Ken's statement has given me some concern. This issue is certainly a strange one. The share shows in the Shared Folders shortcut list but not in the Shared Folders in the console.

Thanks for the help,

Ron

Friday, February 3, 2012 12:40 AM
  •  Is there a potential problem if I follow the instructions for resetting permissions then deleting the share, if I did not use the console? Not sure what you mean by "all bets are off"

In this case, "all bets are off" means (rather obviously) that I have absolutely no idea whatsoever as to the possible ramifications to Windows Home Server of attempting to change the ownership/permissions of the share. Possibly none, possibly your server stops working entirely, possibly anything in between. In which case, do what you like; we can't help you with your problem.

Note: for Windows Home Server, follow Mark's instructions in the thread I linked. Don't follow Bulldawg's directions; they're fine for a client computer, but won't have the desired results for Windows Home Server.

Friday, February 3, 2012 1:37 AM
  • OK I am at my wits end with this. I am unable to take ownership of this share. I can not do anything with it or any files or folders within.

What is my next option? Will a system repair help out here? My thinking is that a system repair may replace the shared folders with the original shared folders and remove the one I added.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Any suggestions how I can delete this folder? I have attempted the steps BullDawg suggested and no joy. The properties show that administrator is the owner, but it will not allow me (administrator) to delete folder, either from a client computer of directly to the server.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:48 PM
  • What happens when you try to delete the folder? What exactly is the error message (if any)?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Here is the message I get when trying to delete the folder,

Error deleting file or folder,

Cannot delete 77320: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I am attempting this from RDP into the server, but receive the same message when I am connected direct to the server. I also checked and the Properties show that administrator is owner.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:45 PM
  • I would bet something is holding some file(s) in the troublesome folder open. So: have you installed anything on your server? Add-ins? Software installed from the server desktop? Have you installed something on one or more of your clients which monitors folders (such as this one) on your server?

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:01 PM
  • I did map this folder to this client for access when I was using the folder. Nothing added to the server since I created this folder. Other than a "Take Ownership" utility that I installed in an attempt to resolve this issue. It was recently done as a last resort. After trying to do it manually with the instructions posted by BullDawg.

Thank you Ken, I know you don't want to deal with this one. I'm not sure how I created the folder, but it certainly was the wrong way. Lesson learned.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:16 PM
  • ... Thank you Ken, I know you don't want to deal with this one. I'm not sure how I created the folder, but it certainly was the wrong way. Lesson learned.

I'm glad you've learned something. I remember thinking once, after I'd done something I shouldn't have and before the consequences of my action jumped up and smacked me in the face "This is not going to end well, is it?" ( It didn't. :) )

It's really not that I don't want to deal with it. It's much more that if you did something "outside" Windows Home Server, it may not be possible for a third party (me) to do more than give very general guidance along the lines of "I'd try this, then that, but if it doesn't work I don't know where I'd go next." Which is kind of where we're at now, unfortunately.

Since you say you mapped the folder, have you removed those mappings on all clients? Is it possible you have some sort of media player device pointed at this folder? Look around; maybe you'll find the problem. :)

• Marked as answer by RonRock Monday, February 20, 2012 3:55 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Since you say you mapped the folder, have you removed those mappings on all clients? Is it possible you have some sort of media player device pointed at this folder? Look around; maybe you'll find the problem. :)

Well you helped me figure this one out. You got me thinking about what could be going on, that would not let me take ownership of that folder. I could not think of any reason for anything on my LAN to be causing issues, but after reading your thoughts, I decided the next step was to reboot the server without any network abilities. No network or my external drive enclosure that I use for backup drives. When the server was up I looked and the folder was gone. Turns out I had saved the folder in question on one of the drives in the external drive enclosure. I'm not sure why it was showing up in some, but not all of the "Shared Folders" shortcuts. But after finding it on the external drive it was just a matter of deleting it as normal.

You pointed me in the right direction in a round about way. Thank You for helping me resolve another bothersome issue.

Thank You, Ken

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:54 PM