something I noticed with photo uploads to Blogger (and a workaround) RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • Hey all, a many months ago I asked a question about problems with photo uploading to blogger:

    As detailed in the thread, the problem was an incorrect "link to" attribute. Now that I've repeated this process many times, I realize this isn't a human error, but WLW seems to randomly remove the "link to" attribute on a (seemingly) arbitrary number of photos when I post. I just updated my blog today and 3 of 19 photos had the "link to" setting changed during the upload. I am positive about this because I checked each and every photo twice before uploading and verifited the attribute was correct (Link to>source). Anyone else notice this? The simple fix is the same as in the thread I link to above: retrieve the blog post, fix the setting and repost.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:36 AM

All replies

  • I haven't seen or heard of this bug before, not to say it doesn't exist, but it is possible it is outside of WLW.  The best way to find out would be to use compose a post inside of Windows Live Writer, then run on a program like Fiddler(Fiddler watches all of your commication over the internet).  Then publish the post from WLW.  Inside Fiddler you will see the HTML that WLW is sending to your blog, and can verify if WLW is sending the click through images or not. 

    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:23 PM
  • We used to have problems with certain drag-and-drop gestures of images where the image would be moved but the click-through link would be left behind. Do you think this might be the problem? Do you often rearrange pictures within the post using drag and drop?

    If so, you might try making sure you're on our latest release (Help | About should show a build number ending in 206). If you're not, you can upgrade at http://download.live.com.

    Monday, June 15, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Thanks for the replies! I am using build 14.0.8050.1202. Oddly enough the "check for updates" command says I am up to date (and I've ticked the "include beta releases" box. I sometimes use drag and drop photo reordering or keyboard shortcut cut and paste reordering (ctrl-x, etc). (As a side note, I'd love to be able to select multiple photos at once and edit their attributes in tandem). But as I mentioned, I double checked the attributes of each photo before I uploaded, although this was in the GUI, so maybe something was altered in the raw HTML that I didn't notice.

    Next time I post, I'll try using Fiddler or similar to check the upload integrity.

    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Yeah, the GUI can be fooled in some cases.

    Our "check for updates" functionality in that release is, regrettably, broken. There's a newer version (ends with 0206) but that won't solve this problem. I'd recommend trying to stick to cut and paste and see if it still happens.

    Friday, June 19, 2009 10:00 PM