Identical Product Keys on 8 Packages of Office 2003 Professional RRS feed

• Question

•  

Good Morning,

I work in a small business with eight workstations. About a year ago we hired on an MCSE to help us get our system ironed out - he was a young guy, barely out of his teens, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. On all our workstations he installed copies of Office XP Professional with Frontpage (at the time we only had seven workstations) and after about six months he moved on to another company, and he left on good terms.

Just a couple of months ago we added another desktop to our set, and I started hunting for his vendor for Office so that I could buy another license, but I couldn't find any record of us actually purchasing the software. This seemed suspiscious to me, so I ran it through the Office Validation site.

It failed.

I no longer can get ahold of the old employee, but I decided to cut my losses and purchase new copies of the software, and upgrade to Office 2003 Professional at the same time. I bought one copy first, installed and activated it, and ran it through validation and it passed with flying colors. Happy, I proceeded to purchases seven more copies. I installed the second copy maybe two weeks after the first, and it also passed validation once I removed the bum Office XP install.

I moved on to do the third install when I noticed that it had the same product key as the last install. In fact, all eight media packages had identical product keys.

When I contacted my vendor, I was told that Microsoft issues identical product keys on identical media packages, not invdividual serial numbers as they have done in the past. This, combined with the Microsoft Validation tools, is suppossed to make for a simpler system as far as validation and tech support is concerned. Again, I was told that this is a MIcrosoft standard.

Is the information I'm receiving accurate? I found my vendor online, but I was careful to check review sites to make sure that this was a reputable vendor. They carry the "Ask For Genuine Microsoft Software" logo on their site. I just want to make sure that I haven't been ripped off (and that I'm not ripping off Microsoft) by installing this product.

Thanks for the help!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael Ledford,

There is a chance the retailer supplied you with a Volume License key. VLKs is one key that is used to legally install multiple instances of a Microsoft product. He should have mentioned that they were VLK Keys and provided you with the EA or Open License agreement number.

But If the retailer says they are Retail or OEM keys, then all 8 should be different and you should follow Carey's post (above) and/or confront the retailer for a refund.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager 

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:25 PM

All replies

• Each genuine license for a genuine Microsoft software product has its own unique product key.  Any duplicate keys are likely non-genuine or will become non-genuine once Microsoft determines they are stolen or a non-authorized product key generator was used.

Know before you buy: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=prepurchase

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:51 PM
  • Hi Michael Ledford,

There is a chance the retailer supplied you with a Volume License key. VLKs is one key that is used to legally install multiple instances of a Microsoft product. He should have mentioned that they were VLK Keys and provided you with the EA or Open License agreement number.

But If the retailer says they are Retail or OEM keys, then all 8 should be different and you should follow Carey's post (above) and/or confront the retailer for a refund.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager 

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:25 PM
  • No, they specifically said these were Volume License keys. They didn't mention an EA or Open License number, but I'll double check all the stickers that came with it to make sure.

Thanks for helping out a noob!

-Mike

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:36 PM