Mesh News information has stopped updating RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have three machines linked in a mesh against a single Windows live id. They have been happily synchronising for 6 months. Now the News feed has stopped updating on all three machines. The last file shown to have been updated was on the 24th December 2009 17:12. Since then I have updated a number of files, and those files have synchronised to the other machines successfully, however the news feed no longer updates to mention that the file has been updated. I've not seen any mention of this problem on the forum. I'm not aware of making any changes to the mesh configuration on or after the 24th December. I've not tried reinstalling. I thought that either it was a known problem, or perhaps my logs would be useful to understand the issue.

Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Monday, January 4, 2010 12:13 PM

Answers

• Looks like my News has started working now
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:12 AM
  • :-)
    You  beat me to it Ityson, but I also came back here to say that my news feed appears to be working now. I guess someone fixed something, if that's the case then please pass on my thanks.
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi, Mark. There was a server issue just prior to the Christmas holiday that was resolved in between Christmas and New Year's. The last time that we had a few reports of News not updating, the problem was caused by another server issue and it took a while to get sorted.
    You are the first to report the problem this time, though.
    Are files still synchronizing normally?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Are files still synchronizing normally?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~

From this comment:

"Since then I have updated a number of files, and those files have synchronised to the other machines successfully, however the news feed no longer updates to mention that the file has been updated."

Looks like his files are still synchronizing normally.

I just checked and my news feed is working properly.  If his is still not working then it may be a local issue.

In the past I've simply tried checking for updates, followed by signing out and signing back in.  I haven't had to do a re-install to fix any problem so I'd avoid that until other options have been exhausted.
    "We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Thanks Stephen & Bleak. As Bleak says, yes files do still appear to be synchronising successfully. I've tried signing out on a machine and signing back in. The news feed is a little confused in that the top entry now says

Monday, December 21, 2009
         Mark updated file uw.txt in folder LiveMeshDocs 22:33
    Sunday, December 20, 2009
         Mark updated file uw.txt in folder LiveMeshDocs 14:32

then

Older
         Mark updated file uw.txt in folder LiveMeshDocs 24/12/2009 17:12

So the 'Older' posts relate to more recent actions than the posts at the top of the list.

I've tried creating a new file and seen it synchronise to the Live Desktop but not appear in the news feed at all.

Please let me know if you'd like me to provide any further information.

Cheers,
    Mark

[EDIT] Oh and the Live Desktop news feed just shows the entries from the 'Older' section in the Mesh application feed.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:20 PM
  • I am having the same problem.

We are using MESH to sync between 3 laptops and it shows the last update was 24/12/2009 11:40 in the news but is still syncing files.

I also have a personal folder and that is working fine so its not all folders

Many Thanks

Ian
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:27 AM
  • Thanks, Bleak. I missed that in the original - speed reading/replying to posts after a week away.... <g>

It sure seems like a server issue limited to some accounts if Ian is seeing the same 12/24 end date for news. I'll ping Ken from the Live Mesh team.

-steve
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:14 PM
  • It sure seems like a server issue limited to some accounts if Ian is seeing the same 12/24 end date for news. I'll ping Ken from the Live Mesh team.

-steve
    Yeah, my news feed didn't go back that far.  Mine only goes back to 1/1/2010.

"We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Looks like my News has started working now
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:12 AM
  • :-)
    You  beat me to it Ityson, but I also came back here to say that my news feed appears to be working now. I guess someone fixed something, if that's the case then please pass on my thanks.
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Apparently, Ken was able to get whatever residual server issues existed from the Christmas weekend outage resolved. Thanks for letting us know that the News was updating again.
    -steve
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 5:38 PM