Reinstallation of Server OS leads to not being able to set up a previous domain RRS feed

• Question

• I have hit a snag with trying to re-initiate my domain name given to me previously by Microsoft. I am led to a sign in page for Windows Live but my current username and password will not work. I also click on Help link within the domain registry window only to have it lead me to a dead link at passport.com. How could I get my previous domain registered? Or better yet, how can I use domain names I already have with Google Domains without transferring them? I cannot use my server from outside the home right now and I would really like to know how to set up and register the domain name again.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that it failed to configure Remote Web Access on newly installed WHS 2011 using existing domain name which is obtained from Microsoft.

During RWA configuring, please select the option “I want to use a domain name I already own”, type the domain name in the “Set Up Your Domain Name” text box. Then, provide the user name and password that you used to purchase the domain name.

>but my current username and password will not work.
    As far as I know, RWA domain name (obtained from Microsoft) is binding with your Windows Live ID (also called Microsoft Account new). As mentioned above, you should enter your Windows Live ID in order to complete the RWA configuration.

I am not sure what do you mean about account not work. Lost/forget account name or password, or, the RWA configuration wizard prompts error when you enter your Live ID? 

If it is the first case, please check “When you can't sign in to your Microsoft account”:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12429/microsoft-account-sign-in-cant

If it is the latter case, please provide more information, such as error message, relate screenshot and etc.

>how can I use domain names I already have with Google Domains without transferring them?
    RWA on WHS 2011 only supports domain name provided by specific domain name provider. The Set Up Your Domain Name wizard includes a list of qualified providers that you can use. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 7, 2017 6:02 AM