MS CRM 4.0 Outlook Client with Offline Access - Install not working RRS feed

• Question

• I am really struggling to get my laptop (XP SP2) loaded with the CRM client with offline access:

I had the CRM 3.0 offline client loaded, and uninstalled via add/remove progs. Then I experienced the problem of not being able to "configure - another user" issue after installing CRM 4.0 client. I used the info posted on this forum to try and get passed it which included the following:1.) remove instances of SQL 2005 and SQL 2005 Express 2.) remove Outlook profile 3.) remove all registry entries or CRM, SQL, MSCRM, MSSQL etc.

When I run the CRM 4.0 Client with ofline access install now, I get an unknown exit error 28086 when SQL 2005 Express is being installed.

I have installed the CRM online client (which does not need or install SQL Express) and had no issues.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 6:32 AM

Answers

•  

I found this, although it is strictly about Visual Studio,it may be worth checking through the registry checks. Tread carefully!

If you are running into an error installing SQL Express as a part of Visual Studio 2005 setup, you can check in the SQL Express log files (located at %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG).  If you are receiving an error about the instance name not being unique, you can manually clean off the orphaned instance name by doing the following:

1. Click on the Start menu, choose Run and type regedit
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
    3. Remove SQLEXPRESS from the REG_MULTI_SZ value named InstalledInstances
    4. Delete the subhive named MSSQL.1
    5. Delete the subhive named SQLEXPRESS
    6. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL
    7. Delete the value named SQLEXPRESS
    8. Delete the folder %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1

Note - the above steps apply to the instance name that is created when SQL Express is installed as a part of Visual Studio 2005.  The actual instance name on your system may vary if you have had any other beta version of SQL 2005 (such as the developer edition).  Please make sure to adjust the steps accordingly based on what instance name information is in your registry and file system.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 7:32 AM

All replies

•  

I found this, although it is strictly about Visual Studio,it may be worth checking through the registry checks. Tread carefully!

If you are running into an error installing SQL Express as a part of Visual Studio 2005 setup, you can check in the SQL Express log files (located at %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG).  If you are receiving an error about the instance name not being unique, you can manually clean off the orphaned instance name by doing the following:

1. Click on the Start menu, choose Run and type regedit
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
    3. Remove SQLEXPRESS from the REG_MULTI_SZ value named InstalledInstances
    4. Delete the subhive named MSSQL.1
    5. Delete the subhive named SQLEXPRESS
    6. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL
    7. Delete the value named SQLEXPRESS
    8. Delete the folder %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1

Note - the above steps apply to the instance name that is created when SQL Express is installed as a part of Visual Studio 2005.  The actual instance name on your system may vary if you have had any other beta version of SQL 2005 (such as the developer edition).  Please make sure to adjust the steps accordingly based on what instance name information is in your registry and file system.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 7:32 AM
  • I tried the the above mentioned steps. The only difference was I deleted MSSQL.2, 3 & 4 and left MSSQL.1.

These changes allowed to me to run the MS CRM 4.0 Outlook Client with Offline Access successfully (without any SQL exit errors) and had no problems configuring the CRM client for Outlook. So in summary, all is working as it should!

Thank you Feridun Kadir (MCT) for the very helpful info posted in the reply above.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:29 AM
  • Hi,
        We are trying to install MS CRM oofline for outlook.
    But getting some issues.
    The installation is complete, but when i am going to the configuration wizard and giving the URL , it is giving me an error of HTTP:401, Unauthorised.
    Can somebpdy help me with it?
    One more thing when i open the configuration wizard, i get 2 options i.e.
    Connect to MS CRM Dynamicas through
    1)My Company
    2)Online Serrvice Provider.
    I click on the second option.
    Please help...URGENT!!! Smile

Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:15 AM