OneCare Install problems because of problems downloading SP2 and IE 6 or 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install Windows Live OneCare on my third Computer - No problems with installing on first two Computers, however they have more recent Operating Systems.

Third Computer System -

*Intel Pentium 4 CPU - 1.6GHZ
    *256mb Ram
    *Free Space - 28.3GB
    *XP Professional 2002 SP1

When I insert Windows Live OneCare CD into third Computer - the Error ID: 0003-80004005 message shows - "Unsupported Operating System - Your Computer must be running Windows Vista or Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (32-bit version only)"

I then proceed to Microsoft Download Centre to download Service Pack 2.  I start Download however I then get the message stating "To use this site, you must be running MS Internet Explorer 5 or later.  Go to IE Downloads Website."

On IE Downloads Website I start to download IE7 however the message comes up - "This installation does not support your Operating System's current Service Pack Edition.."(I assume this is because I need SP2 and I only have SP1)

I then proceed to download IE6 - however this message comes up - "Setup has detected a newer version of IE already installed on this system - Setup cannot continue."

Firefox is my default browser however this should not stop me from undertaking these downloads, particulalry of IE Version 6 or 7?

I have turned "on" my Automatic Updates.

It seems that I cannot download Service Pack 2 as I cannot use the Windows Update Site until I have a more updated version of IE.  However messages appearing when I try to install IE6, seem to tell me I already have a newer version of IE already installed!

Please advise of a solution...Thankyou

Jacquilee
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 9:08 AM

Answers

• Jacquilee, here is a link to the XP SP2 Solution Center for help with the SP2 update.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

Although I would recommend resolving this to get SP2 on that older machine, your machine specifications are borderline for Windows Live OneCare. I would recommend *not* installing OneCare on that machine unless you can add more memory to the computer. Once you have SP2 on the machine, the Windows Firewall will be enabled. You can use a more lightweight antivirus program instead of a full protection suite - www.avast.com has a free home edition - along with any number of free antispyware programs - Windows Defender, Spybot Search & Destroy, AdAware - to protect the PC as long as you keep the operating system patched and up to date - which it is certainly not now.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:09 PM