Removing a disk without the Home Server Console RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

A few days ago one of the disk drives failed and I need to remove it. I already added enough disk space so the files could easily be moved.

The failed drive consumes most of the SATA bus and therefore the system is quite slow but the drive can be accessed.

However the Home Server Console won't show up and so I am searching for a way to replace the drive e.g. via command line. Is there any way?

Regards

Felix

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:40 PM

All replies

• What do you mean when you say the "Home Server Console wont show up"? Disk removal really needs to be done through the console.

Andrew

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:05 PM
  • When I started the Home Server Console the window won't show up. I see the language bar enabled by the console, but the window itself.

However, I was able to solve it. After stopping the backup server I got two Assertions from the Console but was finally able to get to the Storage tab. I am currently removing the drive.

Thanks. I don't think this is a common bug, but it might be flaw by design because the failing drive prevented the Home Server Console from requesting a lot of meta data (e.g. the Shares tab is completely broken).

Regards

Felix

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:20 PM
  • Felix, if the drive is truly dead, then you may find that you can't remove it using the console while it's connected. If that's the case, you can "safely" shut down the server and unplug the drive. Then restart and remove the drive using the console. It shouldn't take much time for the removal; your server will spend many hours balacing afterward though.

Note: when I say it's safe to remove the drive physically, that presumes that it's really dead. In that case, you have already lost all data stored solely on that drive. You won't lose anything more by pulling the drive. You could also lose your backup database, if any components were stored on the dead drive. When you go to remove the drive in the console, WHS will tell you that you will lose files or backups if anything was on the drive; if you're told you'll lose backups, it will probably take the entire backup database down.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:52 PM