WHS 2011 Freezing just after loading windows screen RRS feed

• Question

• When booting my WHS 2011 rig, it freezes, just after the loading windows at just a black screen, pressing F8 and selecting safe mode with networking it runs thru the screen on loading the files for safe mode and freezes on a file called like classpnp.dll. I created a iso of my WHS 2011 cd. So that i could run system repair from the install disk(usb) it froze once it loaded the loaded the enviroment. Any suggestions for me to get this problem solved , are greatly appreciated. If i have to replace the os drive will a fresh install pick up all the files stored on the other drives. Its a 14TB system with about 10TB used. losing everything would be devastating. please help! 
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:06 AM

Answers

• Sounds like a hardware problem as you suspect. Try relocating memory, CPU and any cards you have installed to see if that changes anything. If not, I would disconnect all of your drives and try an install on a new HDD. If that works you have probably found the problem. If the current OS HDD is not the problem (hardware) and you need to do a re-install on the original OS HDD, any data on that disk will be overwritten so it needs to be backed up first - you can do that by connecting the disk to another PC. Other disks should not be touched during a re-install but for safety, I would install with them disconnected and connect them when your system is working. If you take this approach and you have any of the standard shared folders on those disks they will be created on the D: partition on the OS disk and you will need to do some fiddling in the Dashboard to have pointers to the right location.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ne0SiS Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:01 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:50 AM
  • From what I recall, you will just need to use the Dashboard to set up custom folders which are located on your other drives. The way I did it was to rename your existing folders from say "Data-1" to "Data-1-old" and then use the Dashboard to create "Data-1". You will then need to delete the Data-1 folder and rename the other to Data-1. Reboot the server and you should be fine. Good luck.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Ne0SiS Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:06 AM
    • Edited by Phil Harrison Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:12 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:06 AM

All replies

• Sounds like a hardware problem as you suspect. Try relocating memory, CPU and any cards you have installed to see if that changes anything. If not, I would disconnect all of your drives and try an install on a new HDD. If that works you have probably found the problem. If the current OS HDD is not the problem (hardware) and you need to do a re-install on the original OS HDD, any data on that disk will be overwritten so it needs to be backed up first - you can do that by connecting the disk to another PC. Other disks should not be touched during a re-install but for safety, I would install with them disconnected and connect them when your system is working. If you take this approach and you have any of the standard shared folders on those disks they will be created on the D: partition on the OS disk and you will need to do some fiddling in the Dashboard to have pointers to the right location.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ne0SiS Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:01 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:50 AM
  • Say the OS drive died, and i disconnect all hds, buy a new boot drive and reinstall the os with only the new HD connected. and plug the others in once the machines up and running will it pick up the shares on the other 5 hard drives?

• Edited by Ne0SiS Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:55 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:54 AM
  • From what I recall, you will just need to use the Dashboard to set up custom folders which are located on your other drives. The way I did it was to rename your existing folders from say "Data-1" to "Data-1-old" and then use the Dashboard to create "Data-1". You will then need to delete the Data-1 folder and rename the other to Data-1. Reboot the server and you should be fine. Good luck.

• Marked as answer by Ne0SiS Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:06 AM
    • Edited by Phil Harrison Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:12 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:06 AM
  • Read my edited verson above - I modified it after you read it!

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:13 AM
  • Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I had pretty much narrowed it down to either bad memory, cpu, or hd (like you referred to). Since it still froze when i booted off the .iso install on the flash drive. its had me leaning more towards memory, and or cpu. The biggest worry was whether a re install would sense the other shares on all the other drives, which i gather from your response it will with some work. I knew this day was coming as all the drives were bought very near each other and all getting close to 5 years old. I suppose I shouldn't press my luck and start to reinvest in new hds, and or a total rebuild. thanks again for your replies.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:15 AM
  • Regularly backing up your Server to an external drive is recommended activity for data integrity!

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:27 AM