Create N:1 relationship for Orders with Appointment as primary entity RRS feed

• Question

• Ineed to create a N:1 relationship for Orders with Appointment as primary entity. Appointment is not available in the picklist. Can it be? If so how can this be done.

The reason I ask is I need a field on the orders form that points to an appointment so when I run a workflow it can update the appointment in that field rather then create a new one.

Thanks

Friday, May 7, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I believe what you want to do is add an Appointment to the Order.  That will make the relationship between the Order and Appointment record.  Use the Regarding field of the Appointment to link it to the Order then you should be able to find a way to create a workflow that updates the Regarding Appointment when a field value on the Order changes. 

You might have to create a couple of workflows, one on the Order and one on the Appointment.  You can add a custom field to the Order for identification so that when you fire off your Appointment workflow you will first have a Check Condition that checks for a value on the Regarding Order field and if the value is what you expect then update the Appointment record.  Once you update the appointment record, then set the value back on the Order record.  This ensure you have only one Order record with the value you are looking for at any given time.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

• Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by W_Coates Monday, May 31, 2010 5:43 PM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What are you actually trying to achieve here? How can N Orders be linked to 1 Appointment? I think you need to re-visit your design or are you looking at something specific and unique to your needs?

Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    http://mscrmnovice.blogspot.com
    Friday, May 7, 2010 8:17 PM
  • At a certain stage of the order process a workflow is triggered and creates an appointment.  The appointment relates to the delivery date of our product. I need to link this appointment to the order that way if any info related to the appointment changes within the order(delivery date, Delivery location, etc) a workflow will be triggered and can update the appointment.

The only way I can think of doing this is by having a lookup field in the order that contains the appointment. If there is another way I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Friday, May 7, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

You cannot create any relationship with entities that are categorized as Activity. (i.e. You cannot create relationships with E-mail, Fax, Task, Appointment, etc.)

You can delete the previous Appointment and create another Appointment. To automate this you will need to write a custom workflow as it cannot be done using Workflow design view.

Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    http://mscrmnovice.blogspot.com
    Friday, May 7, 2010 10:21 PM
  • Hi,

I believe what you want to do is add an Appointment to the Order.  That will make the relationship between the Order and Appointment record.  Use the Regarding field of the Appointment to link it to the Order then you should be able to find a way to create a workflow that updates the Regarding Appointment when a field value on the Order changes. 

You might have to create a couple of workflows, one on the Order and one on the Appointment.  You can add a custom field to the Order for identification so that when you fire off your Appointment workflow you will first have a Check Condition that checks for a value on the Regarding Order field and if the value is what you expect then update the Appointment record.  Once you update the appointment record, then set the value back on the Order record.  This ensure you have only one Order record with the value you are looking for at any given time.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

• Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by W_Coates Monday, May 31, 2010 5:43 PM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:33 PM
  • I will do this.

Thanks Scott Coates North America Traffic
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:43 PM
  • I will do this.

Thanks Scott Coates North America Traffic

Hi Scott,

did Donna's instructions work (they made sense to me) and/or have you done this yet?

Reason I ask is that this same type of process could be used in our organzation..so if you got this working, then I will give it a crack too. :-)

Cheers and regards Rossco
    Monday, May 31, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Here's a summary of what I did.

Workflow 1

Run's on

Change of Status Reason

If Status Reason equals Firm and Requested Deliver date contains data

Create Appointment

Start Date equals Requested Delivery Date(Order)

Workflow 2

Run's on

Create

Change of Start Date

Wait condition

Requested Delivery Date(order) does not equal Start Date(Appointment and Status Reason(Order) equals Firm

Update Appointment
    Thanks, Scott Coates North America Traffic
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Brilliant,

thanks for that :-) much appreciated.

Cheers and regards Rossco
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:04 PM