Money 2002 freezes on "loading" RRS feed

• Question

• This weekend Money 2002 starts up, opens the initial screen, and fills in some information, but several areas just say "Loading..." (those areas are Investment Allocation, Income & Expense, Cash Flow Forecast, and Debt Reduction Plan), and the whole program freezes, you cant click any buttons at all.

BTW, this is a home PC running windows 10.

Thinking my data file might be corrupted, I copied my backup file to a folder that my data file was in and started it from that file...same result. I copied the sample.mny file to that folder and started it from that file...same result.

Before, I tried that, I saw other advice that suggested uninstalling and reinstalling Money. I tried that uninstalling and nothing happened (Money is still there and doing the same thing). 

I also saw some other threads related to "Controlled Folder Access" in Defender. I searched in Settings for that, and got this "Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT help-desk for more information" (My home doesn't have an IT help-desk). 

So, now I'm looking for suggestions as to my next step. Thanks in advance.

Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:55 PM

All replies

• You could try opening Money by right-clicking the launch icon, and choosing RunAsAdministrator.

If this works, it sounds like some kind of permissions thing.

Monday, May 11, 2020 12:19 AM
  • Cal, thanks for the quick response.

Before seeing your response, I found what looks like the McAfee equivalent of the "Controlled Folder Access", allowed acced for Money.exe, relaunched Money, and got the same result.

After seeing your response, I tried your suggestion above, and got the same result.

So what would be your next suggestion?

Monday, May 11, 2020 2:43 AM
  • I've seen other posts describing the file repair tool. From what I've described do you think that would help?

Where I saw it described it said to use the '-s' parameter n the command line. Press 'Start'->'Run"and type in the string to the Msmoney.exe file followed by -s.

I assume that was for an older version of Windows, since on Windows 10 I don't have a "Start>Run"button.

If you do suggest using this repair tool, could you please tell me how to do this in Windows 10?

Thanks 

Monday, May 11, 2020 3:00 AM
  • I've seen other posts describing the file repair tool. From what I've described do you think that would help?

Where I saw it described it said to use the '-s' parameter n the command line. Press 'Start'->'Run"and type in the string to the Msmoney.exe file followed by -s.

I assume that was for an older version of Windows, since on Windows 10 I don't have a "Start>Run"button.

If you do suggest using this repair tool, could you please tell me how to do this in Windows 10?

Thanks 

This is the "quick file repair". I don't think that would help you, because Sample.mny has the same symptoms. I am sure there is a way to do it in Windows 10. I would use a fully qualified pathname in a command window, myself, but there is probably another way.

To find where the file is to know the full path, you could do this in a command window:

dir \msmoney.exe /s

It would take a while to run.

If the RunAsAdministrator did not work, my next thought would be to create a new administrative user, and try running Money as that user.

Because the path will have spaces, the command will have to start with a " symbol in the command window. There is a way to copy and paste things in a command window, but I am not sure you are that interested in that.

Monday, May 11, 2020 3:35 AM
  • Try opening your Sample.mny file.  You.ll probably find it in your C:/Program Files(x86)/Microsoft Money folder.  If it opens, go to Tools>Settings>Home Page display settings and remove all of the modules.  Then try to open your file.  If it works ,you can add back modules one at a time until it fails.  Remove the offending module.
    • Edited by bobjbkln Monday, May 11, 2020 3:40 AM
    Monday, May 11, 2020 3:39 AM
  • By any chance, did this start just after you received an update to your McAfee software?  Can you uninstall that update to test?

Bill Becker

Monday, May 11, 2020 10:28 PM
  • Good news!

First of all, thank you all for your suggestions, unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to try any of them, but fortunately, I don't need to.

Windows 10 had a major update last week, and then when that happens, then McAfee has to update their stuff as well, and apparently I was betwixt and between, and MS Money 2002 was affected by all that. 

So after a half dozen reboots, the Windows updates and the McAfee updates, seemed to have worked themselves out, and, thankfully, MS Money appears to be working just fine.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Friday, May 15, 2020 1:54 AM