Periodic AD Issues - Untrusted Domain for SharePoint and No results from DirectoryEntry in C# RRS feed

• Question

• Periodically an ASP.NET Web Service that makes Active Directory calls through the DirectoryEntry (C#) class and returns no results for every request, even though it is searching for valid users.  99.9% of the time this works without any issues.  I also have a SharePoint Farm (has been running for a few years) that occasionally throws error saying that it cannot connect to the Configuration Database.  Further investigation in the Event Logs reveals and error that says "Unknown SQL Exception 18452 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication".  These two errors rarely happen, but they happen at the same times. 

My infrastructure hasn't been able to provide any insight as to why these issues are happening.  They believe its because the account that runs SQL Server was locked out, but I don't believe that because the Web Service doesn't hit SQL.  Does anybody have any tips on how to investigate issues with Domain Controllers or AD?  All of my servers/users utilize the "PROD" domain and to my knowledge there has been no changes to the domain or servers involved.

PS, sorry if this is in the wrong category, I couldn't find one for AD.

Thank you for any advice!

• Moved by Barry Wang Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:02 AM Moving from .NET Setup. ASP related
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 4:53 PM

Answers

• Hello GrizNasty,

Based on this "Periodically an ASP.NET Web Service that makes Active Directory calls through the DirectoryEntry (C#) class and returns no results for every request", you are using ASP.NET WebService make the AD calls. It may more appropriate for you to post on ASP.NET forum.http://forums.asp.net/ 

Regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, September 19, 2014 8:58 PM
    Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:01 AM