How long does it take to duplicate information RRS feed

• Question

• Let me start off by saying I am sorry if this has been posted already. I can assure you that I have scoured the forums.

In my WHS I have a PATA 250GB drive (boot) and a SATA 500GB drive. I have gotten the warnings from WHS saying the drive has an error a couple of times but have always been able to recover by running scandisk. Just because I got that nagging feeling in my head that the drive may go out sometime I would like to shift it to a data drive instead of the system drive.

So I bought another SATA 500GB drive to replace it.

I have read through tons of posts about people replacing drives and see that the best way to do it is make sure all of your data that you don't want there to be a chance to lose is selected for duplication. So I turned on duplication for those items. It is about 257GB worth of data. I know some people have said wait several days to make sure everything is duplicated because it does it in the background. Is there a way to bring up the status of the duplication so I can see if it is done or not? Or a way to physically run it so that it isn't running in the background so I know how long it will take?

Interesting.... As I am writing this post a message popped up saying that the 250GB drive I want to replace has failed and to run a repair. Well hopefully everything was duplicated...

If you have any suggestions or ways that I can verify the data was duplicated I would greatly appreciate it!
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:17 AM

Answers

• You can only duplicate the data that you have the space for.  So if you only have 250gb in your system drive, you can't duplicate 257gb worth of data.  Unless you have already put in you new 500gb drive.

Also, if you are replacing your 250gb drive with the 500gb drive, all you need to do is replace the drive and do a server reinstallation.  I would double check to make sure all the data is off your d: and onto your other drive, which is funny because if you only have those two drives in there the best way to do this is actually turn off duplication.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Before you continue I think it's good to do a liitle reading about the way WHS storage is setup: Drive Extender. You will find that the C and D partition are both on the primary drive. To view the othere drives you have to browse to C:\fs\X where X represents a drive letter or number

Seocnd is that it even though your files are currently not accessible they are probably save. If you do not have duplication turned on WHS will store all of them on the 500 GB drive. You can access this drive on your WHS by browsing to C:\fs\XDE\shares or by mounting the drive in another system. In the second cased you will find your files in a hidden directory DE on that drive.

Having said that the Enchanter is correct that with your system you can NOT duplicate 250 GB of data. Your primary drive is split in a 20GB SYS  (C) partition and a 230 GB D partition, the landing zone. Part of this will be used for storing the tombstones (in D:\shares), the rest is free for duplicated data (in D:\DE). In your case, when you start duplication for 257 GB of data you will most certainly run into problems, since free space on the D drive will get too low.

Currently my advise would be to

1. Shutdown your WHS

2. Disconnect power to the 500 GB data drive

3. Replace the 250 GB drive with the new 500 GB drive

4. Install WHS

5. Connect power to old 500 GB data drive, do NOT add it to the pool

6. Create shares and users similar to your current system

7. Copy data from the \DE\shares folders of the old 500 GB data disk to the shares of the new install, using the WHS desktop shares shortcut

8. Add the old drive to the pool

9. Enable duplication

10. If the 250 GB drive is physically OK you may also add this one to the pool

NOTES:

A. Before doing this you may secure your data by copying them from the 500 GB data disk to another location, however this is not absolutely necessary

B. With the currently unresolved data corruption issue, Known Issue: When you use certain programs to edit files on a home computer that uses Windows Home Server, the files (KB 946676)  it may even be preferable to stick with a single disk system for now, since the corruption is only found ons systems with 2 or more hdd units.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:23 AM

All replies

•  BobTheAlien wrote:
    Is there a way to bring up the status of the duplication so I can see if it is done or not? Or a way to physically run it so that it isn't running in the background so I know how long it will take?

Not really, however if it's busy with duplication the WHS console will show a line "Balancing Storage" at the the bottom of the window (status line). If it's finished it will tell you  Storage Balanced, date and time. Problem here is that there's also a number of other WHS processes that will trigger the Balancing Storage message. Search forum for "balancing storage joel burt" It shouldn't really take days for 257 GB. My syste which isn't really fast moves around 20GB/hour with CPU usage averaging 10%

BobTheAlien wrote:
    If you have any suggestions or ways that I can verify the data was duplicated I would greatly appreciate it!

The Add-inn Duplication Info for Windows Home Server should do the trick. More interesting Add-ins at Windows Home Server Add-insindows Home Server Add-ins

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:00 AM
  • You can only duplicate the data that you have the space for.  So if you only have 250gb in your system drive, you can't duplicate 257gb worth of data.  Unless you have already put in you new 500gb drive.

Also, if you are replacing your 250gb drive with the 500gb drive, all you need to do is replace the drive and do a server reinstallation.  I would double check to make sure all the data is off your d: and onto your other drive, which is funny because if you only have those two drives in there the best way to do this is actually turn off duplication.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:21 AM
  • I currently have a 250gb and a 500gb in there. I want to replace the 250gb with another 500gb due to reports of it not being reliable.

When I go to My Computer on the server it only shows a CTongue Tiedystem drive and a DBig Smileata drive. What other drive are you referring to?

I have tried to copy files from my shared folders onto another computer before this one completely tanks itself but now I am greeted with a Cannot copy xxxxxxx:Invalid file handle on a whole bunch of the files.

Home Server Console won't come up either on the server or on a remote machine.

This thing is just falling apart.

I am beginning to wish I never decided to change the server from Windows Vista Ultimate since I get the feeling my data may have just went down the tubes.
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:45 AM
  • Before you continue I think it's good to do a liitle reading about the way WHS storage is setup: Drive Extender. You will find that the C and D partition are both on the primary drive. To view the othere drives you have to browse to C:\fs\X where X represents a drive letter or number

Seocnd is that it even though your files are currently not accessible they are probably save. If you do not have duplication turned on WHS will store all of them on the 500 GB drive. You can access this drive on your WHS by browsing to C:\fs\XDE\shares or by mounting the drive in another system. In the second cased you will find your files in a hidden directory DE on that drive.

Having said that the Enchanter is correct that with your system you can NOT duplicate 250 GB of data. Your primary drive is split in a 20GB SYS  (C) partition and a 230 GB D partition, the landing zone. Part of this will be used for storing the tombstones (in D:\shares), the rest is free for duplicated data (in D:\DE). In your case, when you start duplication for 257 GB of data you will most certainly run into problems, since free space on the D drive will get too low.

Currently my advise would be to

1. Shutdown your WHS

2. Disconnect power to the 500 GB data drive

3. Replace the 250 GB drive with the new 500 GB drive

4. Install WHS

5. Connect power to old 500 GB data drive, do NOT add it to the pool

6. Create shares and users similar to your current system

7. Copy data from the \DE\shares folders of the old 500 GB data disk to the shares of the new install, using the WHS desktop shares shortcut

8. Add the old drive to the pool

9. Enable duplication

10. If the 250 GB drive is physically OK you may also add this one to the pool

NOTES:

A. Before doing this you may secure your data by copying them from the 500 GB data disk to another location, however this is not absolutely necessary

B. With the currently unresolved data corruption issue, Known Issue: When you use certain programs to edit files on a home computer that uses Windows Home Server, the files (KB 946676)  it may even be preferable to stick with a single disk system for now, since the corruption is only found ons systems with 2 or more hdd units.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:23 AM