Should a retailer ALWAYS supply a windows CD or Manufacturer Reinstall CD with a laptop? RRS feed

  • Question

  • HI,


    I'm looking to by a new laptop and have been looking at a Toshiba Satellite C660-1KT.

    2 different UK high street retailers are offering this, on their websites there is no mention of it being supplied with either the OEM windows CD or a re-install CD from Toshiba.

    In a branch of one of them I have been told that the re-install disks are an optional extra and cost 15GBP

    I would have thought that one or the other would be supplied by default if not as a licensing requirement from Microsoft (in the case of the windows CD).

    Am I correct?



    Friday, March 18, 2011 2:01 PM


  • Hello kicker00,

    Microsoft does require that the computer manufacturer provide some way for you to reinstall the Microsoft operating system and any Microsoft software sold as an OEM license, for example if you added an OEM license for Office to your purchase.

    Microsoft does not require major manufacturers such as Toshiba (and the other big guys like Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway, Sony, Acer, Lenovo, etc etc) to supply the actual recovery/reinstallation discs with the computer for free.

    Manufacturers meet the MS requirement if they (1) provide a hard disk drive-based recovery solution and (2) provide a means for the end user to make the discs themselves.  Your Toshiba will have a utility accessible from the Start Menu that will generate the discs needed for recovery.  You are required to purchase the blank discs, but most people already have a stock of blank CDs and/or DVDs.

    Toshiba does sell recovery discs for current and recent past models, as do most other major manufacturers, for those people who "forgot" to make the discs themselves before they were needed.  Here's where you would order a set for a Toshiba:  https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/serviceUnitVerification.jsp

    The retailer might be charging for the service of having their in-house technicians run the disk making program directly from your computer as one of those after-the-sale services.

    Smaller-scale computer assemblers and retailers (such as the local computer shop) generally use what is called a systembuilder/oem license for Windows and Office from Microsoft.  The rules for this type of license do require that the systembuilder provide you with a Genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation disc for the Windows that they install on the computer that they built for you.  They are also required to affix the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) that comes with the Windows Disc to the computer case.  This CoA has the product key used to install Windows printed riight on it.

    • Marked as answer by kicker00 Friday, March 18, 2011 3:00 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 2:42 PM