Language interface - data entry RRS feed

• Question

• We are moving a client from CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011.  The 4.0 deployment did not have language requirements, in CRM 2011 there is a language requirement for German and Chinese.  I know the language packs enable you to allow users to view the interface (field labels etc.) in local language.  The question I have is:

1. Do the language packs translate the values in an Option Set?

2. If the user types into a Single Line of Text, say in German, is that text translated to English, or are the results other (English users) are going to see the German text?

I've done a lot of seaching on this but have been unable to find a clear definition of what happens.

Ken Compter

Sunday, December 9, 2012 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken,

Out of the box option sets are translated in the language pack, and custom ones can be customised in multiple languages. Because the integer value is stored in the database, the value is shown in the language selected by the user. Text attributed are completely different and the value entered will be displayed irrespectiveof the users language, so yes the English speaking user will see German text entered by he German user. No automatic translation happens. I guess you could use a service like google translate by writing some custom code.

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by kcompter Sunday, December 9, 2012 9:34 PM
    Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:15 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Ken,

Out of the box option sets are translated in the language pack, and custom ones can be customised in multiple languages. Because the integer value is stored in the database, the value is shown in the language selected by the user. Text attributed are completely different and the value entered will be displayed irrespectiveof the users language, so yes the English speaking user will see German text entered by he German user. No automatic translation happens. I guess you could use a service like google translate by writing some custom code.

Scott

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by kcompter Sunday, December 9, 2012 9:34 PM
    Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:15 PM
    Answerer
  • Scott thanks for the explaination.  Helps a great deal.

Ken

Ken Compter

Sunday, December 9, 2012 9:34 PM