WHS2011 Connector-SW can not find my HomeServer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem to connect my client-computers to my new WHS2011. I can download the connector SW from the Server but after starting the connector it immediately stops and tells me, that it can't find the server. Also if I put in the ip-adress or the name of the server, it tells me, that it can not be found under the name or ip-adress.

I need help .....

Sunday, September 4, 2011 9:55 AM

All replies

• What's your network setup - do you have anything out of the ordinary such as multiple routers or client and server on different subnets? Can you Ping your Server by name and IP?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 10:02 AM
  • See above my network structure. I have a router for web-access via cable-modem (fritzbox6360). Then there are two Linksys-Switches. The client (IT-HOME-MMPC2) i tried to connect to the server (IT-HOME-WHS20...) are on the same switch.

I have no problems to ping the server with name or ip-Adress. Everything is on the same subnet.

See the result of ipconfig /all of the tried client:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\Users\IT-HOME-MMPC2>ipconfig /all

Windows-IP-Konfiguration

Hostname  . . . . . . . . . . . . : IT-HOME-MMPC2
       Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . :
       Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP-Routing aktiviert  . . . . . . : Nein
       WINS-Proxy aktiviert  . . . . . . : Nein

Ethernet-Adapter LAN-Verbindung:

Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix:
       Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82578DC Gigabit Network Connecti
    on
       Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 00-27-0E-14-46-87
       DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Nein
       Autokonfiguration aktiviert . . . : Ja
       Verbindungslokale IPv6-Adresse  . : fe80::5c51:8ef5:65b9:192%11(Bevorzugt)
       IPv4-Adresse  . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.8(Bevorzugt)
       Subnetzmaske  . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       DHCPv6-IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234891022
       DHCPv6-Client-DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-F3-A8-E0-00-27-0E-14-46-87

DNS-Server  . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
       NetBIOS über TCP/IP . . . . . . . : Aktiviert

Tunneladapter isatap.{65A7D7EC-B03C-4B82-BD6F-A678D853BAF1}:

Medienstatus. . . . . . . . . . . : Medium getrennt
       Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft-ISATAP-Adapter
       Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunneladapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       IPv6-Adresse. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fd:47a:2e67:3f57:fdf7(Bevor
    zugt)
       Verbindungslokale IPv6-Adresse  . : fe80::47a:2e67:3f57:fdf7%13(Bevorzugt)
       Standardgateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
       NetBIOS über TCP/IP . . . . . . . : Deaktiviert

The client i want to install is a fresh Win7-64 Ultimate system. No connection to the old Home Server.
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 10:23 AM
  • This may be better asked on a network forum but is there any reason you have DHCP decativated? What is the Server IP address?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 11:06 AM
  • DHCP is deactivated because my internet-router is the IP-Server (DHCP-Server). All the computers in my network have fix ip-adresses. The new HomeServer has 192.168.2.17 .... will be changed later to 192.168.2.5 which is my actual HomeServer V.1.
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Add the homesever to the client host file.  It should have no trouble finding the sever

Add as
    192.168.1.xxx Server

Sunday, September 4, 2011 11:46 AM
  • I already did this. I set up a lmhost file like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
    #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1       localhost
    # ::1             localhost
    192.168.2.1     IT-HOME-FRITZ    #Router/Gateway
    192.168.2.2 IT-HOME-WLan  #WLAN-Accesspoint - zur Zeit nicht genutzt
    192.168.2.3 IT-HOME-HPCLJ  #HP-Colour LaserJet
    192.168.2.4 IT-HOME-EPSON  #Epson AllInOne-Gerät
    192.168.2.5 IT-HOME-SERVER  #WHS1 - wird ersetzt durch WHS2011
    192.168.2.6 IT-HOME-MMPC  #Multimedia-PC Wohnzimmer
    192.168.2.7 IT-HOME-DESKTOP  #Büro-PC
    192.168.2.8 IT-HOME-MMPC2  #Multimedia PC Schlafzimmer
    #192.168.2.9 IT-HOME-iPad  #iPad Wohnzimmer
    #192.168.2.10 IT-HOME-PBX  #Telekom ISDN-Anlage - kann entfernt werden
    #192.168.2.11 IT-HOME-Switch1  #Linksys Switch Büro
    #192.168.2.12 IT-HOME-Switch2  #Linksys Switch Wohnzimmer
    #192.168.2.13 IT-HOME-Snom  #Telefon Büro
    #192.168.2.14 IT-HOME-Majik  #Linn Majik DS - Wohnzimmer
    #192.168.2.15 IT-HOME-RH1  #Reson RH1 - Wohnzimmer
    #192.168.2.16 IT-HOME-iPhone  #Ingo's iPhone
    192.168.2.17 IT-HOME-WHS2011  #Ingo's neuer WindowsHomeServer

Sunday, September 4, 2011 11:55 AM
  • It was worth the try as a recommendation.  Looks as if you have that portion  covered.  Good luck.  I'll monitor since I'm interested in the solution.

Sunday, September 4, 2011 12:00 PM
  • All far too complicated than it needs to be - you should not need to play with lmhosts - why have you gone away from DHCP?.

"DHCP is deactivated because my internet-router is the IP-Server (DHCP-Server)" - but the result above was for the client! But I see that you have fixed IPs for all your clients - any particular reason why?

Sunday, September 4, 2011 12:17 PM
  • I used fix ip's to have some kind of organization in my network. Everything worked fine in the past with my old server. the router is the DHCP-Server, so there is no need to have the DHCP-Server running on the homeServer ... Or are I'm wrong?

Also when the client is pulling the ip from the DHCP-Server (MyWebRouter) it does not work.

Sunday, September 4, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Suggests there is a problem with your router
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Would be intersting how to solve it. That'S the reason why I setup a lmhost .....

But two weeks ago, I did a fresh installation on my client and the connector run through without problems ..... But I have three computers at home and I want to bring my new WHS into daily business ....

Everything - also a replacement for the DE - is solved and the system is running, but I can't connect my computers ......

Is it neccessary to otimize the DNS-Settings because I have actually two Servers running? The old Home-Server and the new one?

Sunday, September 4, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Still sounds like a router problem to me - I assume you have re-booted it? Can you RDP to your Server?
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Yesterday I did a rebbot of all my network components. I have still the same problem ....

I have no problem to acces my server and also the clients via RDP. This is what I do anyway to manage them. RDP works fine via ip or computer-name.

Regards

Monday, September 5, 2011 5:52 AM
  • You might have a master browser issue.  Link below gives some steps to troubleshoot it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305

...JJC...
    Monday, September 12, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Seem's that I'm not experienced enough to do so .....

Is the command "browstat status" part of power shell v2 for Win 7, or? Or was it replaced by something else?

Regard

Monday, September 12, 2011 10:57 AM
  • browstat is a command line tool, not a PowerShell cmdlet.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 12, 2011 1:19 PM
  • This I understood. But the question is, where can I find it for Windows 7 .....

I'm only an engaded HomeUser .....

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:38 PM
  • sorry about that...been a while since I've had to use browstat and didn't realize it doesn't work on win7.  You can get the same results in win7 using net view and nbtstat but its pretty tedious.  The LANscan utility written by this guy (see link below) works well in win7.

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Of course the fun starts when you determine which computer(s) are masters and what issues the current master browser might have to prevent your server from showing up (firewall, drivers, etc).  there are regsitry commands to prevent a computer from becoming a master browser and forcing it to be one....check out the network forums. 

For my network (2 servers-WHSv1 and WHS2011, 9pcs, 2 ps3s, 3 printers, 5 IP surveilance camera, 2 wifi cellphones, one router and two access points) the router, one access point, and the WHSv1 seem to be masters with the WHSv1 being primary and others backup.  Since the servers are on 24/7 the lan systems don't have to search much for the current master browser.

...JJC...
    Monday, September 12, 2011 7:28 PM

I already googeled a little bit and found ylso the shown link. But, I'm not experienced enough to take the right decisions ...

Does this mean, that the new WHS2011 should be a MASTER? And if it isn't, how to get it to be a MASTER?

Maybe the connector is little bit to complicated ..... all the old WHS-Equipment is running quite well ...

I have in my network:

1 Old HomeServer

2 Media PC's with Win 7 Ultimate 64

1 Cable-Modem with Router & Switch

2 Netgear Switches

1 Linn Digital Stream Player

2 Sony TV's

1 iPhone

1 ip-Phone on my office Desk

1 iPad

And I forgot ....

A new WHS2011 with quite nice Hardware ....

Monday, September 12, 2011 8:15 PM
  • I had a similar problem.  It has been a while now, but I believe it was primarily related  to the configuration of my client.  2 main items I recall were...

1,  Ensure auto logon is not enable on the client

2. install lastest .NET 4.0 on client and all related updates.(perhaps on server as well).

I don't recall where I found this info on the web (I tried again with no luck).

I also just found this item as well.

"Please ensure the following services are running on your client: "Windows Media Center Receiver Service" and "Windows Media Center Scheduler Service". If not please start them manually (using the steps below) then retry installing the client connector software."  Link to originating web page:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whsvailbeta/thread/51bce67d-4735-431f-bb4a-d75c80e761f1

Good luck!

Don

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:59 AM