Interfacing 2 systems (importing/Exporting) RRS feed

• Question

• For the time being I need to be able to push and pull data between CRM and another database.
    I don't even know where to begin.  I'd like to write a MSSQL SSIS package (formerly DTS) to sync the data.  My issue is that I may need create new records in CRM.  The last issue is that I can have 4 rows in the other database reference one record in CRM.

Can anyone suggest what they would do?  And no importing and exporting csv files is not a solution.

Withers
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Well, the obvious disclaimer here is that plugging data into CRM's databases directly puts you in unsupported territory, and could possibly cause great damage to your database--not to mention any database structure adjustments that Rollup Updates or future releases may make to break your code's functionality.  The web services API for CRM is so flexible and accessible, it doesn't make sense to interface with CRM any other way.  What I would do, is make a stand-alone service that routinely polls data from CRM(or by using Plugins/Workflows, is event-driven) and your other database, reconciling them in an abstracted fashion.

The Data Migration Manager and Data Import functions of CRM clearly will not function for this requirement, as you indicate.  Unless SSIS has the ability to interface with the web services of CRM, I would avoid that as well--at least, for pushing data back into CRM.
    Dave Berry
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:19 PM
  • As David said, it's never the best practice to interact with CRM database directly, except FilteredView. But SSIS does allow you use Web Service to interact with CRM application, check this CRM team blog for how to do it.

Cheers,
    Daniel Cai | http://danielcai.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Perfect!  I think I'll bookmark that for a later date.
    Dave Berry
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:32 AM
  • That is the link that I thought looked like the best solution, I had found it shortly after posting this thread.

*lol you guys always take things so literally
    Withers
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:01 AM