Does WHS allow symbolic links? RRS feed

• Question

• I know Vista and Server 2008 have the mklink command..but does WHS allow anything like this?

A shortcut will not suffice.  I need a link of some sort.

In my application, I've got 400 plus movies, each in their own folder under a folder for the starting letter, under a share for my Movies.

So, for example, the movie Die Hard is on \\<my_server>\Movies\D\Die-hard

Now, what I want to do is create a folder called "_For_Kids" and I want to put pointers in that folder to all my movies that are specicially for kids. (i.e. Finding Nemo, Thomas the Train, etc)

So I want to be able to get to the Finding Nemo movie either via:

\\<my_server>\Movies\F\Finding_Nemo\Finding_Nemo.vob

AND/or

\\<my_server>\Movies\_For_Kids\Finding_Nemo\Finding_Nemo.vob

mklink would work PERFECTLY for what I want to do, but...WHS (svc pk 3) doesn't recognize the command, so I'm REALLY hoping there's another way.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:38 PM

Answers

• No, symbolic links aren't supported in Windows Home Server. That functionality was introduced to NTFS with Windows Vista.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:55 PM

All replies

• No, symbolic links aren't supported in Windows Home Server. That functionality was introduced to NTFS with Windows Vista.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:55 PM
  • so there's NO way to do this? even with some script or something?

bummer.

All drives in my WHS are NTFS, so seems like there'd be some update/hack or something that could provide this.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:03 PM
  • Even if there's a way to hack symlinks into Windows Server 2003 (the base OS for Windows Home Server), Windows Home Server itself is likely to choke on them. Creation of hard links, junction points,, compressed/encrypted files, etc. inside the Windows Home Server shares is already known not to work, and those features are in the base OS.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:39 PM
  • Install the Windows Server  2003 Resource Kit

The use linkd to create your junctions.

linkd "M:\Movies\For_Kids\Finding_Nemo" "M:\Movies\Finding_Nemo\"
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Install the Windows Server  2003 Resource Kit

The use linkd to create your junctions.

linkd "M:\Movies\For_Kids\Finding_Nemo" "M:\Movies\Finding_Nemo\"

BINGO!! haha

I was coming back to post that I'd found this solution...and here you'd already pointed me too it! hahaha

Yes, this worked perfectly!!
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:06 PM
  • I'd be interested to hear how it is running after demigrator has been over your system a few times.
    --
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:43 PM
  • I would not be surprised if they stop working after a while, or if Windows Home Server starts reporting file conflicts or other issues. Symbolic links are reparse points, as are the "tombstones" that Windows Home Server uses.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Ok... I had a Junction in a share to a share and everthing went crazy with file duplication.

Now I'm using a junction in a manually created folder outside of the shares and this is pointing to a share's folder (D:\shares\<sharename>\). So there are no junctions in a share any more. This should work since PP1 fixes to write on D:\shares\<sharename>\.

Am I right?

Is there an other way to group all shares to see them as one big network drive on the clients?

Monday, August 30, 2010 9:42 AM
  • ... since PP1 fixes to write on D:\shares\<sharename>\. ...
    This still shouldn't be done, even after applying Power Pack 1. Many users have found that direct access to files in D:\Shares\etc. leads to those files becoming resident on the system drive.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 12:16 PM