MCP Website RRS feed

• Question

• "Works for me" isn't a very helpful answer...  I'm having the same problem.  I get the screen and when I click "Sign Out" it just goes back to the same screen again, over and over.

• Split by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:32 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have the same issue. I think the problem occurs, when you make the system to remember your login. I try to describe it in detail:

I am very active inside the msdn and partner forums and to have a quicker access, I simply told the system (on the logon page) to remember me.  That way I can directly access the forums. (If the system does not recognize me, I still have to click the sign in on the forums page but that will take me directly to a logged in state without entering my credentials again.

Workaround that works fine for me on MCP site:
    When I want to access the MCP site, I get this page that tells me to sign out. Signing out does not help me / works at all. But two steps help me:
    a) "Manage your Profile" link on the bottom. This brings me to the Profile Center
    b) "Update my personal Information" - now I have to provide my password again.
    Once I provided my credentials, I can go to https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/ successfully.

My "guess" what is happening inside:
    I think that the authentication of Windows Live knows different states. This automatic login is giving you a state that is not fully trusted (or something like that). This is important, because some sites require that you fully authenticate on the site and do not to use this auto login feature that is a generic windows live login and not specific to any site. A good example how this could work is the "MSDN Subscriber Downloads" page. When I go to that site, I have to provide my credetials again - even if I was using the forums successfully allready (and have a loggen in state there)!

So from my perspective, the developers of the MCP site simply missed this point and didn't check the results correctly (so I would expect a login prompt again instead of this sign out page). But it is guessing only because I never spend more time on the Windows Live SDK so far so I do not want to point at any developer!

I hope my workaround works fine for you, too.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Edit: And the problem with the sign out is in my eyes simply: After signing out the system automatically logs in again. Also a nice behaviour. I didn't test it again now but I think when you look athe URLs that you get you can see the switching abck and forth to the live.com site for sign-off / sign-on. But that is a general problem that can really trouble you. I have multiple MSDN Accounts and when I had to switch accounts I even was unable to log of to log on with a different user ... But I cannot build up a szenario to reproduce that but I really worked on that multiple hours before I went to a colleague, logged on MSDN Subscriber Downloads and did the download there.

Edit2: Changed the wording ... think my quickly written response was hard to read.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:44 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• What happens if you close your browser, re-open it and then navigate back to the MCP site?

BTW, I was able to access the MCP site using IE9 and Chrome even though I was first asked to Sign Out and then had to Sign In again.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue. I think the problem occurs, when you make the system to remember your login. I try to describe it in detail:

I am very active inside the msdn and partner forums and to have a quicker access, I simply told the system (on the logon page) to remember me.  That way I can directly access the forums. (If the system does not recognize me, I still have to click the sign in on the forums page but that will take me directly to a logged in state without entering my credentials again.

Workaround that works fine for me on MCP site:
    When I want to access the MCP site, I get this page that tells me to sign out. Signing out does not help me / works at all. But two steps help me:
    a) "Manage your Profile" link on the bottom. This brings me to the Profile Center
    b) "Update my personal Information" - now I have to provide my password again.
    Once I provided my credentials, I can go to https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/ successfully.

My "guess" what is happening inside:
    I think that the authentication of Windows Live knows different states. This automatic login is giving you a state that is not fully trusted (or something like that). This is important, because some sites require that you fully authenticate on the site and do not to use this auto login feature that is a generic windows live login and not specific to any site. A good example how this could work is the "MSDN Subscriber Downloads" page. When I go to that site, I have to provide my credetials again - even if I was using the forums successfully allready (and have a loggen in state there)!

So from my perspective, the developers of the MCP site simply missed this point and didn't check the results correctly (so I would expect a login prompt again instead of this sign out page). But it is guessing only because I never spend more time on the Windows Live SDK so far so I do not want to point at any developer!

I hope my workaround works fine for you, too.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Edit: And the problem with the sign out is in my eyes simply: After signing out the system automatically logs in again. Also a nice behaviour. I didn't test it again now but I think when you look athe URLs that you get you can see the switching abck and forth to the live.com site for sign-off / sign-on. But that is a general problem that can really trouble you. I have multiple MSDN Accounts and when I had to switch accounts I even was unable to log of to log on with a different user ... But I cannot build up a szenario to reproduce that but I really worked on that multiple hours before I went to a colleague, logged on MSDN Subscriber Downloads and did the download there.

Edit2: Changed the wording ... think my quickly written response was hard to read.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:44 AM
    Answerer
  • Just confirming that this workaround is valid.

I ran into this issue with Server 2012 on my laptop as it has you sign into windows with your windows ID.

This should work with Win 8 as well, due to the sign in process being similar.

Monday, January 14, 2013 3:11 PM