how can one NOT have the privilege to send email as oneself? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workflow triggered on the creation of a record, say new_custom.  At its end it generates an email message -- From {owner(new_custom)}, To {owner(new_custom)} ...  It errors out with (and leaves the system job waiting) "User does not have send-as privilege."

How can one not have privilege to send as himself?  More importantly, how can I give someone the privilege to send as himself?

PS- the failure might not be universal and is per user NOT simply random.  IIRC.

PPS- I am using the User Settings Tool to control the personal email options assuring that the Allow others... checkbox is set.  So it's not that.

CRM 2013

Hope someone else has debugged this issue before.  Thank you.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:03 PM

Answers

• You say that the workflow is triggered on creation of a record. this make it an automatic workflow. Automatic workflows always run as the user that owns the workflow, so the person that needs the send as privilege is you!

You added a value to the From field in the email and depending on the owner of the record the From will vary and might not be you. It might be easiest to leave the From blank, in which case your name will show as the From.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:24 PM

All replies

• You say that the workflow is triggered on creation of a record. this make it an automatic workflow. Automatic workflows always run as the user that owns the workflow, so the person that needs the send as privilege is you!

You added a value to the From field in the email and depending on the owner of the record the From will vary and might not be you. It might be easiest to leave the From blank, in which case your name will show as the From.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Is it an Synchronous or asynchronous workflow?

If Async workflow, then the workflow triggers on the context of owner of the workflow than the record owner. so that makes the email to be created and sent as the context of user.  You can check the logs for the user id that gets this error, and compare with the current user rcord Id. 

If the workflow is Synchronous then there is an option on how the workflow is to be triggered. Just because the owner of email is same as the from doesnt exactly mean that sending user is same as the owner. I.e. I would use admin account in workflow to create a email on custom entity with ownership as owner of record. User A would try to create record in cutom entity and the workflow will trigger on admin user context to create and send email. create email will work fine since admin have global create access. but wont be the same case as sending email.

If my response answered your question, please "mark the response as an answer" and also "vote as helpful". Regards, Hari. www.crm2011byhari.blogspot.com

Monday, June 19, 2017 5:51 AM
  • Just to clarify on asynchronous workflows. If the trigger is automatic then the workflow runs as the user that owns the workflow, if the trigger is manual, then the workflow runs as the person that starts the workflow.

Monday, June 19, 2017 8:20 AM
  • Created or owns the workflow?

thanks for answering.

Monday, June 19, 2017 3:25 PM
  • I should have been clearer, it is the person that owns the workflow. Which will be the same as the person that created the workflow, until assigned to someon else.
    Monday, June 19, 2017 3:28 PM