Sticky posts RRS feed

• General discussion

• Maybe you can make this a sticky note so it doesn't get lost in the mists of time.
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 3:27 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the kind words. However I am sure there are many other threads more useful to more people. I get bothered by forums where most of the first page is consumed by sticky posts. Yet sticky posts have a good function, serving the same kind of thing as the FAQ of old newsgroups. I have split this from the "HOWTO: Transfer your US brokerage account to a new broker" thread into a separate thread discussing sticky posts.

My inclination would be to have a master Sticky post, and it would contain links to lots of stuff that has longer term interest. But since the downloads thread is so frequently useful, particularly to new users, I am thinking that one might be best to keep. There are a lot of mentions of the second sticky, and if it were possible to keep that as #2, that would be good.  I am thinking that a link to the mnyob99.dll patch for Money Plus could be put into the #2 in the Money Plus download section. Then unsticky that.

The new #1 would be a master sticky list/FAQ. It would include links to  threads  links to http://littlegreengecko.com/MSMstuff/faq.html and MSMoneyQuotes https://gaiersoftware.com/Money and Pocketsense, Ameridan/s site,  hleofxquotes  tool. The threads linked to would best be posts where the author maintains the first post to be somewhat FAQ-like rather than threads that evolve, and the 14th reply is the good stuff.

Give it some thought. I don't want to mess things up while trying to improve things. I wanted to throw it out for comment.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Cal,

I really like the idea of a master "sticky" post containing links to threads relevant to frequently-asked questions and resources such as Gaier, Dick Watson, PocketSense, etc.  It would definitely need to be curated because, as you point out, many useful threads take a rather convoluted path before providing useful information.

I also agree that the "Downloads" thread should remain separate. Ideally, this thread would be referenced in the Wikipedia entry for Microsoft Money so that someone who is looking to try out Microsoft Money would be directed to a thread that is maintained and is a source for the version of Money that meets their needs.

The "Important Patch" thread could be removed if a link to it is included in the "Downloads" thread.  But there is also a good argument for leaving it "as is" because it is so important for anyone installing Money Sunset.

Bill Becker

Bill Becker

Friday, November 10, 2017 4:25 AM