Cannot BU as to big of file that will not change in size when unchecking files RRS feed

• General discussion

• I started out with 218.4 gig to back up after installing the onecare 2.0 over the beta.

I then when in and unchecked the tv files with no change in the 218.4 gig.

I then unchecked everything aand it did not work so I added back the docs file it still says 218.4.

I did the same with only another file group checked and then another.

The 218.4 never changes and none of the external hard drives are big enough.

If I remember correctly when I backed up in beta I had a large file but it decreased when I backed up.

but I do not have 50 DVD to attempt a backup.........

do I reinstall onecare?

do I need to uninstall first??

Thanks

I think I figured out what was going on.

The BU up included my dads computer at another location so it include those files also.

I unchecked the central BU and I could backup a lower amount.

I guess I solved my own problem and that I think I can back up my dads over the internet, if I had the room.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 7:42 PM

All replies

• I've changed your post to a comment as you do appear to have resolved the problem. You apparently have Centralized backup selected and configured, causing a complete backup to be quite large.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:45 AM
  • I ready do not want to use the internet to BU my desktop computer to a directly connected firewire external drive.  Is it posssible that that is what is happening, as it is taking 10 hours to do a 120GB backup.  Is this a normal amount of time. How do I turn off the central BU feature?

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:08 AM
  •  woppenhe wrote:

I ready do not want to use the internet to BU my desktop computer to a directly connected firewire external drive.  Is it posssible that that is what is happening, as it is taking 10 hours to do a 120GB backup.  Is this a normal amount of time. How do I turn off the central BU feature?

120 Gigs in 10 hours sounds a little long, but it isn't excessively long for that much data. No, it is not backing up over the Internet. If the drive is connected directly to the PC that is being backed up, if it is a local backup or a centralized backup, it is still only being written from the PC to the external drive directly.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:54 PM