Windows 7 Product Key Change RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using a non-genuine copy of windows and I recently realized that my university offers free codes to its students. Is there any way to add the key to the system so that it becomes genuine? I have already tried using the cmd prompts found in previous threads. My system does not recognize the commands are existing. There is also no way for me to select the "change product key" on the system menu. It just simply doesn't contain a key and ends after Gigabyte support and computer name, domain, and workgroup settings. I don't quite know what else I can do as I reinstalled the OS today to change from Ultimate to Professional (since the Ultimate version wouldn't let me use a Professional key) and it didn't prompt me for a key at any point. Previously on the Ultimate version it was caught as non-genuine and it allowed me to install a key but after trying to get myself caught with a non-genuine version by installing MSE and updating all of the security codes, it still won't give me the "non-genuine" warning. Sorry for the block of text.

TL;DR Non-genuine copy won't allow me to use a genuine key. CMD and "Change Product Key" do not work/exist. Please help.

Monday, February 9, 2015 3:51 AM

Answers

• I believe you will have to format your drive and do a fresh install with the valid OS.  Be sure to back up your data first.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, February 9, 2015 3:28 PM

All replies

• MGA Diagnostic Report is Required:

To properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the diagnostic report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once downloaded, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, after a short time, the Continue button will change to a Copy button.
    Click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your post.

Carey Frisch

Monday, February 9, 2015 7:12 AM
  • I believe you will have to format your drive and do a fresh install with the valid OS.  Be sure to back up your data first.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, February 9, 2015 3:28 PM