More Clarification, Please RRS feed

• Question

• First, I'm on 1.6 and have not yet downloaded the beta, still deciding on whether to test-drive 2.0 or wait, but I have reading the 2.0 posts and I'll admit I'm confused.

Next, I know we don't activate the beta yet, and can't hook it to the subscription yet. This seems understandable given the last beta. But, I've also read that those downloading the beta must create another temporary Windows Live ID just to download and install the beta. Is this right?

Third,even though I only have OC on one computer right now, I am interested in how the WLOC Circle concept works. I have read conflicting posts in these forums on this subject. Some say that multi-computer management will not work until activation (full release) because of tying to the subscription. Others say it works fine. Some temporary disabling is understandable if explained, but I just don't know what to think, so I seek clarification.

Moderator response preferred here, please.

Thank you again

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:42 PM

Answers

• I installed OC and did not activate it. I am able to see the two computers I have it activated on and what the status of those computers are. The interface is still a little clunky if you are not on a Hub computer.

I was disappointed though with the management aspect. All it appears you can do with a remote computer is view the status. You can't kick off any tasks such as a defragment or virus scan. I hope that these options will be made available as it would help; especially when managing remote computers for family members. I also do not know if it will work across a firewall as I have only tried so far on my local home network. I'm expecting it to fail when trying to traverse NAT and an outside firewall.

Speaking of features that would be nice. I would like a remote control option when viewing other machines that just does a simple remote desktop or remote assistance to the machine. This would at least help make up for the option that you cannot initiate tasks remotely.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 3:25 PM

All replies

• SEE, you don't need a Live ID to download the beta. The download site only asks for an e-mail address and which country you are located in.

If nobody drops by with an answer to the One Care Circle questions, I will have info late tomorrow and will post back.

Friday, July 13, 2007 4:22 AM
  • Thanks, Jim. You are always helpful.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 4:43 AM
  • I installed OC and did not activate it. I am able to see the two computers I have it activated on and what the status of those computers are. The interface is still a little clunky if you are not on a Hub computer.

I was disappointed though with the management aspect. All it appears you can do with a remote computer is view the status. You can't kick off any tasks such as a defragment or virus scan. I hope that these options will be made available as it would help; especially when managing remote computers for family members. I also do not know if it will work across a firewall as I have only tried so far on my local home network. I'm expecting it to fail when trying to traverse NAT and an outside firewall.

Speaking of features that would be nice. I would like a remote control option when viewing other machines that just does a simple remote desktop or remote assistance to the machine. This would at least help make up for the option that you cannot initiate tasks remotely.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 3:25 PM
  • I downloaded 2.0 from live.com site.  I signed in with the same ID I use for my paid subscription.  Once I installed 2.0, I activated the subscription with the same ID I've used all along.  I had no issue with activation.
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 3:42 PM
  • Interesting, Pat. I was told that you would not be able to activate with your subscription LiveID...

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:11 AM
  • They like me better (grin)!

I used my email id to download and it's the same as my paid subscription.  I never had any trouble with activating and now have a link on WOC Center Interface to renew subscription as well as Expiration Date of current subscription.  I like that. 

Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:10 AM
  • I saw your other post after I asked. I guess that there was a change of heart when the beta went out. We were advised that activation with a subscriber LiveID would fail. Apparently that is not the case. Or, maybe they do like you better.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:28 PM
  • Grin, or it's because I'm prettier and wear a skirt.   LOL!

It's news to me re: the unable part.  I received the invitation and didn't have to uninstall in order to continue.  But then, I did the Vista upgrade and ran into problems so I had no choice but to uninstall (v. 1.6) and install  (v. 2.0) from the live.com site.  I was waiting for the expected update to 2.0 ........

Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:04 PM
  • You won't be seeing updates to v 2.0 in production for many months yet. I don't know when, but I'm guessing it will be the Fall before v 2.0 is released to production.

-steve

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:15 AM
  • I would think so with what's going on.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 2:23 AM