Reporting Services and ODBC RRS feed

• Question

• Experts, I hope this is the right forum for this question. we are running PS 2007 with Reporting Services in Integrated Mode. We publish reports all the time that use the Reporting DB with no issues. The last report we issued uses an ODBC link to an Excel sheet. I set up the report on my PC and everything works great. when I published the report I asked our IT guys to create the same ODBC on the App Server so they did that but when I run the report I get this message. what am I doing wrong

• An error occurred during client rendering.
      • An error has occurred during report processing.
        • Cannot create a connection to data source 'ExcelFile'.
          • For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Hadie, I'm guessing that the ODBC link you had that referred to the Excel file locally was configured in a way that is not reachable from the app server - such as a local path address, or a share that is not available from the context of the server.  What exactly is the definition of the connection 'ExcelFile'?

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Brian,

I think I found the problem but not sure there is a solution. the app server is running Windows Server 2003 64 bit. i'm finding out that there are no ODBC drivers for a 64 bit machine. There is a shortuct under the syswow folder that let us create 32 bit ODBC link but PWA does not recognize that when I try to run the report from there. The report runs fine locally because Visual Studio recoginzes it but not from PWA

I'm moving away from the ODBC connection and working on creating a SQL table where the data will reside

let me know if you know or think otherwise

Hadi

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Sounds like you are going in the right direction Hadi.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:14 PM