384MB RAM? RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first post, so be gentle, please! Smile

My question is very simple: why don't start WHS with an old notebook pc?

Well, WHS should be a "full-time-running-machine" so we should care about energy saving. Nothing better than an notebook pc wich consumes much less power than an ordinary PC. Also, we don't need an UPS for short power break because the notebook already have internal battery...

I have an old Compaq Presario 706EA with Athlon 1Ghz, 384MB RAM and 40GB HDD wich I would like to use with WHS but the minimum system requirements talks about 512MB.

Also, I read in some posts about some systems running with only 384MB but we need to install it with 512MB because installer don't let you go with nothing less than 512MB. Why? Can we change the installer to let you go with only 384MB? As we saw in other posts, the system runs very well with only 384MB RAM...

Thanks in advance!

Monday, December 3, 2007 9:15 AM

Answers

• 512 MB is really the minimum amount of memory for decent performance across a range of uses. If all you do with WHS is use it as a basic file server, then 256 MB might be enough. It's so lightly used by comparison with an enterprise file server that I don't think you'd see the difference between that and 512 MB. But if you're streaming audio/video, or using WHS for backups, or if you've just got several drives in your server, you'll quickly reach a point where memory is a bottleneck.

There is no way to bypass the requirement for 512 MB of memory. WinPE 2.0 will fail to work correctly with much less than that.
    Monday, December 3, 2007 10:54 PM

All replies

• I beg to differ.

At 384 if you plan on doing any RDP or Hosting of galleries etc you will suffer in a big way.

WHS Console eats up a ton of RAM as well.

System requirements.

MS Copy/Paste

The recommended settings for Windows Home Server are:

CPU: 1GHz Pentium 3 or better
    RAM: 512MB minimum
    Hard Drive:1 Hard Drive 80GB internal (IDE, ATA, SATA, or SCSI)
    DVD drive that is bootable
    Monitor for the installation
    QWERTY Keyboard and mouse or a compatible pointing device.  Also installation only.
    Network Interface Card (NIC) 100Mbps Ethernet
    MotherBoard must be ACPI compliant

Must have Windows Server 2003 driver support.

If you laptop can meet every requirement then you could trick it into installing but I would advise againist it.

The most likely reason it is failing for you is the 384RAM
    Monday, December 3, 2007 12:44 PM
  • First, I have to point out that Microsoft has said that Windows Home Server is not supported on a notebook PC. It may run (I've installed on a notebook) but notebooks are generally optimized (physically) for other purposes, and installing a server-class OS will tend to stress a notebook greatly. In particular, Windows Home Server will put a lot of thermal stress on a notebook PC, which is thermally challenged to begin with.

The Compaq PC you want to use doesn't meet the minimum requirements in two areas. You need a drive of at least 80 GB as your system drive, and you need 512 MB of memory. You can't change the installer to work with less memory, I'm afraid. The installer uses WinPE 2.0, which fails in strange and subtle ways if there is very much less than 512 MB of memory installed. You can, however, remove some memory after installing if you like. And you can't install on a smaller disk; Windows Home Server needs a certain amount of disk space for the system partition (C: ), then it needs more space for the primary data partition (D: ). An 80 GB drive is the bare minimum for successful operation, and even at that it will be horribly limited by lack of disk space.
    Monday, December 3, 2007 4:50 PM
  • I don't want to distract from the original question, but I just finished installing the trial version on the same machine that I started the beta on.  It's an 800 mhz P3 with 512 mb. Running at 20 % slower speed and minimum memory seems sufficient, and I know there would be improvement if I were able to increase both, but what are the critical minimum features?  I see the hardware vendors are shipping with 512 mb of memory as well.  Isn't that a key performance factor?  Is running slower or faster much of a factor if all you are doing is streaming music or storing photos?  I'm not into movies yet.

Jerry

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:52 PM
  • Thank you all for your answers!!!

I forgot to mention I have an PCMCIA with two eSATA ports where i connect an 500GB HDD drive. It is the same as an internal disk an it runs very well with Windows Server 2003 R2 from my MSDN subscription.

As you said (I also read on some posts) I can remove some of the memory after the installation process. However, the maximum memory for this machine is 384MB RAM.

I also don't understand why Microsoft set the minimum requirements the same as the recommended requirements in memory. And lots of people said it runs well only with 384.

I just think the only solution is change something in instalation process to bypass the 512MB requirement...

Thank you again!

Monday, December 3, 2007 6:16 PM
  • 512 MB is really the minimum amount of memory for decent performance across a range of uses. If all you do with WHS is use it as a basic file server, then 256 MB might be enough. It's so lightly used by comparison with an enterprise file server that I don't think you'd see the difference between that and 512 MB. But if you're streaming audio/video, or using WHS for backups, or if you've just got several drives in your server, you'll quickly reach a point where memory is a bottleneck.

There is no way to bypass the requirement for 512 MB of memory. WinPE 2.0 will fail to work correctly with much less than that.
    Monday, December 3, 2007 10:54 PM