Backup database continually corrupted RRS feed

• Question

• I ran the old version of home server uneventfully for more than a year.  I got a new box and switched to 2011 and now the backup is very unreliable.  I have manually deleted all files in the backup database twice.  The second time I also removed all the computers and added them again.  Now for the third time I have backup database corruption issues.  (I have about 1 month uptime at max)

Is it possible that my computer is just not compatible with windows home server 2011?  Note this same computer ran windows 7 for a couple of years uneventfully. 

Is windows home server 2011 just buggy?

This is a big deal since my main use for windows home server is backups.

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:19 PM

Answers

• It turns out I had bad memory in my box.  I replaced the memory and it seems to have fixed this.
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, March 10, 2013 2:42 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 8:08 PM

All replies

• It works reliably for me. Have you run a chkdsk /r on your disks?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, January 30, 2012 5:12 PM
  • I just finished the chkdsk.   I am now repairing.  It will be a while before I know if I am ok or not.

Monday, January 30, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Repair is failing with this error:
    Process WSSBackupRepair failed at d:\wssg_src\hsbs_colorado\backup\pc\util\sort.cpp(1223).

And this one...

Faulting application name: WSSBackupRepair.exe, version: 6.1.8800.16385, time stamp: 0x4d6ed35a
    Faulting module name: WSSBackupRepair.exe, version: 6.1.8800.16385, time stamp: 0x4d6ed35a
    Exception code: 0xc0000025
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000030455
    Faulting process id: 0xe34
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ccdfb53ef16ab9
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WSSBackupRepair.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WSSBackupRepair.exe
    Report Id: ca05a827-4bac-11e1-96ea-d0278814d89e
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Only 1 hour had lapsed between Phil's response and your reply.

Did you run a chkdsk/r on all your disks? I think Phil was right on.

(Don't forget your clients disks too)

This is a crucial step in finding the source of the corruption.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:03 AM
  • I just ran chkdsk on the disk holding the backups.  I am wondering if my new box is not compatible with windows server.   Is that a possibility? 

I will run check disk every where...

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Don't forget the /r when running chkdsk!
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:33 PM
  • How are your hard disks connected? Iscsi disks have problems. Esata might as well.

Also, you might check to see if these episodes are associated with server reboots - usually my backups are wiped out every 3 months or so. A windows update reboot occurs and it corrupts the backup database.

• Edited by Rutlet Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:37 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:37 AM
  • I have 3 sata hard drives. Two identical ones and one new one. I ran chkdsk on everything, client and server.  I then then tried moving the backup from hard drive to hard drive.  The one "odd" hard drive worked. The other two are reporting disk errors in the event viewer when repair runs.

Error 11

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR3.

It is hard to believe that both identical drives would be failing at the same time. My assumption is there is some compatibility between windows server 2008 and these drives. (They worked fine with the old version of home server)

Perhaps my motherboard is the root problem.  Time will tell. 

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:54 PM
  • It's really pretty unlikely to be a simple compatibility issue, though it's possible that you have a driver that's a bit flaky (blame the hardware manufacturer for that, not Microsoft). So based on this:
    Error 11
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR3.
    probably this:
    Perhaps my motherboard is the root problem.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Kirk, 

Did you every get this resolve?.  I'm having the exactly same issue ... my hardware has run WHS 11 for almost a year now more or less without problems. But within the last three weeks, it started throwing an error about backups failing because the database is corrupted (same profile as your original error).  Am running Chkdsk /r on the drive, but wondered if it resolved your situation.  

Thanks ! 

Nat 

Nat

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:34 AM
  • It turns out I had bad memory in my box.  I replaced the memory and it seems to have fixed this.
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, March 10, 2013 2:42 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 8:08 PM