Restore Wizard can't find WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to do a volume restore using the restore CD but when it attempts to find my home server it fails.  The PC and the WHS are on the same subnet and after I cancel the wziard, I can start the WHS console from that PC no problem.  I am using static IPs on both the PC and WHS if that makes a difference.  Is this a firewall issue?

Sunday, August 19, 2007 1:24 AM

Answers

• Well, I got that problem solved.  I changed WHS to DHCP (had to turn on my DHCP server again) and Restore Wizard found the server, entered the password and no backups were listed in the restore list.  Anyone?

I'll run the restore CD again tomorrow to see if it finds the backup from tonight.  

This sucks if you need to run DHCP client on the Server.  I don't want to run DHCP because I want RDP to my server.

Somewhere along the way I turned off System Restore.  Is this a requirement to run WHS Connector or can I run both?

Sunday, August 19, 2007 3:59 AM
  • Problem solved.  I ran the restore CD today and had the same result, no backup entries listed for my Vista PC.  For whatever reason, I clicked on the pulldown for the other PCs and selected one of my other PCs to view the backups and the entries were there.  I noticed in the pulldown list there were 2 entries for my Vista PC.  I had replaced the primary drive after attempting to run backup and it failed because chkdsk detected errors.  I assume that is why there are 2 entries for the Vista PC.  When I selected the 2nd one in the list, viola!  All my backups were there, I selected the one I wanted and 15 minutes later my system was back to normal.  Thanks for the help guys.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Disable the firewall and anti-virus, but did you get the latest restore from the connect site and try it? As they update it.

My best.
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 1:36 AM
  • I disabled the windows firewall on the WHS and the Vista PC and I have the latest restore from the connect site.  I don't run any anti-virus on either system.  Still no worky.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:07 AM
  •  tall123 wrote:

I disabled the windows firewall on the WHS and the Vista PC and I have the latest restore from the connect site.  I don't run any anti-virus on either system.  Still no worky.

Hi,

See if this topic could help the issue.

My best.
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:20 AM
  • Well, I got that problem solved.  I changed WHS to DHCP (had to turn on my DHCP server again) and Restore Wizard found the server, entered the password and no backups were listed in the restore list.  Anyone?

I'll run the restore CD again tomorrow to see if it finds the backup from tonight.  

This sucks if you need to run DHCP client on the Server.  I don't want to run DHCP because I want RDP to my server.

Somewhere along the way I turned off System Restore.  Is this a requirement to run WHS Connector or can I run both?

Sunday, August 19, 2007 3:59 AM
  • Hmmm, sounds like a DNS issue to me.  Did you try flushing your DNS on your computer?  As for System Restore, you should be able to run both it and Connector.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 5:12 AM
  • Problem solved.  I ran the restore CD today and had the same result, no backup entries listed for my Vista PC.  For whatever reason, I clicked on the pulldown for the other PCs and selected one of my other PCs to view the backups and the entries were there.  I noticed in the pulldown list there were 2 entries for my Vista PC.  I had replaced the primary drive after attempting to run backup and it failed because chkdsk detected errors.  I assume that is why there are 2 entries for the Vista PC.  When I selected the 2nd one in the list, viola!  All my backups were there, I selected the one I wanted and 15 minutes later my system was back to normal.  Thanks for the help guys.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:31 PM
  •  tall123 wrote:

Problem solved.  I ran the restore CD today and had the same result, no backup entries listed for my Vista PC.  For whatever reason, I clicked on the pulldown for the other PCs and selected one of my other PCs to view the backups and the entries were there.  I noticed in the pulldown list there were 2 entries for my Vista PC.  I had replaced the primary drive after attempting to run backup and it failed because chkdsk detected errors.  I assume that is why there are 2 entries for the Vista PC.  When I selected the 2nd one in the list, viola!  All my backups were there, I selected the one I wanted and 15 minutes later my system was back to normal.  Thanks for the help guys.

Many thanks for posting the above.   For the 1st time since I bulit the WHS server 8 months ago, I've been forced to do a restore.  I had the same problem & your post resolved the issue.

One thing I would like to know is :  How does one remove un-necessary entries?

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 4:45 PM
  • I would also like to know how to remove these un-necessary entries.  I have restored on multiple occations and I have like 3 "Andrew-PC" entries which are the same computer.  2 of the entries have no backups and the other one has all the ones I need.  This is probably becuase I have reformatted my drive without using the restore wizard and it adds another "Andrew-PC" to the HWS.  Even when I remove the old "Andrew-PC" I still see it in the restore wizard.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 8:36 PM