Windows 7 and WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just wanted to start a discussion about Windows "7" and WHS.  I have the build 6801 of windows 7 and it seems to work flawlessly with WHS, including the connector, backups, etc.  I find it interesting that WHS still says it's Windows Vista..  Makes sense though, it seems to be vista with a few more bells and whistles.

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 10:42 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 is built on the Vista core. That's public knowledge.

As for whether it works, I would expect that it does. But for now it's "unsupported". Good luck. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 3, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Enchanter said:

Just wanted to start a discussion about Windows "7" and WHS.  I have the build 6801 of windows 7 and it seems to work flawlessly with WHS, including the connector, backups, etc.  I find it interesting that WHS still says it's Windows Vista..  Makes sense though, it seems to be vista with a few more bells and whistles.

Nice to know. So its about time to test a system recovery :-P
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 3, 2008 10:59 PM
  • I've already went back, my laptop I was testing it on is a bit older and it's missing drivers.  Then for some reason it wouldn't enable aero for it either.  I did keep the first backup on the server and might try restoring it. 

Monday, November 3, 2008 11:01 PM
  • Vista's replacement missing drivers? Seems about par for the course…
    Monday, November 3, 2008 11:14 PM
  • Using Windows 7 Beta 64-bit edition, Build 7000. Works, Connector installed with no hassles, Console works. Still reports it as Windows Vista.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:29 PM
  • Is anyone having problems with losing connection to the server?  It seems that after a while, I cant log in on the console, and the shared folders cant be accessed either.  I can log in via web page.

The troubleshooter says that possibly \\SERVER is mis-spelled......odd huh?

Andy in Springfield MO 
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:23 AM
  • I also have recently tried build 7000 on my main pc, running into network issues.  I have an nforce 4 chipset and kept losing connection, not just with the server but other things.  I suspected drivers but there have not been any new drivers for this older chipset for some time.  I have no problems with xp/vista and the same motherboard.

Back on topic, my laptop has build 7000 and it has experienced no issues.  in fact, connect to WHS has been faster and more reliable.  In your case, I suspect possible driver issue.  Possibly try the drivers that come with 7, if not then try some vista ones?

Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Do you mean uninstall the connector software, and install the Vista drivers?
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Nah, I meant LAN card drivers.  Those seem to be what was causing my issues.  I never found suitable ones that work with my NFORCE4 chipset, while my laptop works great with the connector software.  This makes me think that isn't not a WHS problem but a LAN driver problem.  Since your symptoms are similar, this is just a suggestion to try different LAN drivers.  There is not a seperate connector driver or software for each version of windows, you use the same for all.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:42 AM
  • I reinstalled the ehthernet and wireless drivers, and still after about 1/2 hour, whs is not accessable.......
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:49 PM
  • I'm testing w7 on a fairly low spec laptop [ celeron m430 + 1gb ram +40gb hd], it runs ok , much better than vista hb that came with the laptop, however i decided i needed a bigger hd and bought a 200gb disk, fitted ok and booted from the restore cd , restored files across the network ok but the machine would not boot the error saying boot manager missing, seems that w7 installs a 200mb hidden partition that contains the mbr etc. ,in the end I just put a clean install of w7 on the new hd as it contained no real data as it's just used for net access when I'm away from home but I can see this being a problem if its not addressed before launch.
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Enchanter said:

I also have recently tried build 7000 on my main pc, running into network issues.  I have an nforce 4 chipset and kept losing connection, not just with the server but other things.  I suspected drivers but there have not been any new drivers for this older chipset for some time.  I have no problems with xp/vista and the same motherboard.

Back on topic, my laptop has build 7000 and it has experienced no issues.  in fact, connect to WHS has been faster and more reliable.  In your case, I suspect possible driver issue.  Possibly try the drivers that come with 7, if not then try some vista ones?

Try uninstalling NForce Network Access Manager if already installed.  I found the same problems & after uninstalling NAM, problems resolved.
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Windows 7 is built on the Vista core. That's public knowledge.

As for whether it works, I would expect that it does. But for now it's "unsupported". Good luck. :)

I use Windows7 Build 7000 and it backup just fine to my home server. I have not tried a restore yet but the install of Windows7 and the WHS software was flawless. I have a home built everything, so no store bought stuff for me. The Windows7 machine is an AMD Phenom 9850 with 2 gig of ram. The Server is an Intel 2.6ghz dual core also with 2 gig of ram.
    • Edited by mikey159c Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:18 PM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:20 PM

• There is a big issue that i lay at windows 7.... You cannot mount a backup volume more than once... otherwise you get cannot connect to backup service error along with an error that the volume needs formating.  The only workaround i have found is removing the general volume driver and the corresponding registry entry.

Attempting a restore to a new drive of windows 7 right now... i have a 200MB volume and a 150GB volume to restore.  I will report back on what i find.

Update: with the RC.. i no longer have this issue.  There also was a whs update that gave netbook help... could have been that.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:36 PM
  • My backup of a Windows 7 platform fails to restore from WHS.  Post attempting this the Windows 7 platform will not boot.  So, to remedy this, I used the installation (upgrade) CD to boot and reformat the drive and reload the O/S just so I could attempt another restore.  BIG MISTAKE!  The restoring attempt failed again AND now my system will not boot AND my Product Key is rendered invalid.

I'm livid.

Oh yea.  They don't tell you (unitl it's too late) to note exactly how the volume is partitioned.  So, if you're like me and you did not note the partitioning you are in a deep mess.  Go figure.  I waited on MS helpdesk hold line last night for 30 min or so without any human & gave up.

Still tinkering with it but I read (above) that Windows 7 is not supported in conjunction with WHS yet it allows a backup relationship anyway.  One wonders why this was not tested and and why WHS has not been modified to provided means to restore a Wndows 7 based system.  I think that it needs to store the partitioning information if it is needed to restore the system.

I have also read (somewhere) that Windows 7 has its own backup image method.  Is this true and if so can it be invoked such that such image is ported to a WHS server??

Grego51
    Friday, March 19, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Gregory,

I have backed up and restored windows 7 multiple times using WHS.  Can you be more specific on the details of the issue as to why it won't restore and we might be able to help.  Why is your win 7 key invalid?  Why are you restoring?  Any other details would be great also!

Friday, March 19, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Oh yea.  They don't tell you (unitl it's too late) to note exactly how the volume is partitioned.  So, if you're like me and you did not note the partitioning you are in a deep mess.  Go figure.  I waited on MS helpdesk hold line last night for 30 min or so without any human & gave up.

Still tinkering with it but I read (above) that Windows 7 is not supported in conjunction with WHS yet it allows a backup relationship anyway. 

Yes, 7 is supported with the installation of Power Pack 3 on the server.  This thread is from a year ago when 7 was still in beta.
    One wonders why this was not tested and and why WHS has not been modified to provided means to restore a Wndows 7 based system.  I think that it needs to store the partitioning information if it is needed to restore the system. 
    You should file a suggestion on Connect for that.

I have also read (somewhere) that Windows 7 has its own backup image method.  Is this true and if so can it be invoked such that such image is ported to a WHS server??

Grego51

Friday, March 19, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Unless you added new partitions you will need to restore the 1/200MB System Partition and the OS parition that normally takes up the rest of the disk.

Are you restoring to the same hardware?  If not you might find that you can't activate your copy of Windows 7. 

You should only need your product key for a new installation and it should be fine if used with the right media and a new install is performed on the same hardware (or close to) as before.

Maybe if you tell us what partitions you have available to restore then we might be able to help with getting them back on your PC.

--
    Friday, March 19, 2010 5:26 PM
  • What I really want to know is whether replacing WIndows 7 on my "home server" with WHS will result in an increase in speed. At the moment, it can take quite some time to open files on any computer connect to the server. Can I dual boot W7 and WHS so I can compare them?
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:27 PM
  • It's unlikely you'll see much, if any, performance improvement; what you describe is more usually caused by network or hardware issues than the OS. In addition, dual booting Windows Home Server with another operating system is unsupported. When you install Windows Home Server, it will take over all hardware, reformatting all drives.

You should review the Windows Home Server section of the Microsoft site, including all the documentation, downloads, etc. you'll find there. It will answer a lot of questions you don't know you have. :)

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 5:39 PM