Incorrect Circle Status on Vista PCs RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have 3 PCs on my home network with Windows Live OneCare; 2 are running Windows Vista and 1 is running Windows XP.  As a test, at different times, I've made each PC a hub PC for the circle.  The PC running Windows XP shows the correct status for all 3 PCs.  The 2 PCs running Windows Vista do not show the correct status of the PC running Windows XP.  Any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks.
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 10:55 AM

Answers

• They had me install this patch, but it did not resolve the issue.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/4/f/74f8bf9b-a19e-4f14-b3e7-0a3fe389224d/CaclsDeleteDB.exe

Since then, I have completed these troubleshooting steps. 

I removed/reinstalled WLOC on one of the Vista boxes.  That did not resolve the issue.  I then removed the XP box from the circle, then re-added it.  Initially, that appeared to resolve the issue.  However, as a test, I turned the firewall off on the XP box.  All 3 PCs correctly displayed the error.  I then pressed the Fix It button on the Vista box with the reinstalled WLOC.  The firewall did turn back on and the XP box displayed the correct status.  On the reinstalled WLOC Vista box, the status still shows red and the action button says “In progress…”  On the other Vista box the status is showing correctly.  I then turned the firewall off again on the XP box and all 3 PCs corrected displayed the error.  I then pressed the Fix It button on the other Vista box.  This time all 3 PCs correctly displayed the correct/good status.  I also removed each PC from the circle then readded them.

At this point, it appers to be working, but I'm not confident enough to call it a resolved issue just yet.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:01 AM

All replies

• How long are you waiting from the time you make the Vista PCs hubs until you determine it isn't working and change the Vista PC to not be a hub?

You can actually make all 3 PCs be hubs at the same time. Give it some time to update. As long as all 3 PCs communicate with the OneCare servers, the Circle is established and the status will begin to update. If all of the PCs are on the same subnet, that is the same local LAN, the status will then begin to update almost instantaneously, but the initial status may take a while to be established because that information has to come to the hub PC from the OneCare servers during a periodic heartbeat to the servers.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:16 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Steve.  I left one of the Vista boxes configured as a hub all day today (8+ hours).  It still shows that the XP box is "At risk" for interferring programs.  I removed the interferring program yesterday.  The XP box shows that itself as "Good"; it is also configured as a hub.
    Friday, December 7, 2007 12:03 AM
  • With the Vista PC as hub, select "check for updates" on the XP box. Once that completes, run check for updates on the Vista box. Any change?

On the XP box, what is the last communication time of the Vista box and on the Vista box, what shows as the last communication time of the XP box?

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Ran the steps as requested. Unfortunately, no change. I'm not positive where to locate the last communication time, but both show Up-to-date as of 12/7/2007. I have screenshots of each if that will help.  Let me know how to upload or where to email.  Thanks.
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 1:53 AM
  • Ah, I just learned something. When I replied earlier, my hub was off network - my laptop was with me and that was the hub, connected to the Internet via dial-up. The other 2 PCs were at home and my Circle showed a line that told me when they had last provided their heartbeat - "last heard from" is what I think it said. Now that I am at home, that line does not appear.

Since there's something odd going on there, I'd like for you to open a support case and ask for it to be escalated. In the meantime, I'm hoping that the Program Manager for this feature can step in on this thread and comment, but it may not be until next week.

-steve

Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:47 AM
  • Service request number 1051948227 has been opened.  Thanks.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Please let us know what support says.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:10 AM
  • They had me install this patch, but it did not resolve the issue.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/4/f/74f8bf9b-a19e-4f14-b3e7-0a3fe389224d/CaclsDeleteDB.exe

Since then, I have completed these troubleshooting steps. 

I removed/reinstalled WLOC on one of the Vista boxes.  That did not resolve the issue.  I then removed the XP box from the circle, then re-added it.  Initially, that appeared to resolve the issue.  However, as a test, I turned the firewall off on the XP box.  All 3 PCs correctly displayed the error.  I then pressed the Fix It button on the Vista box with the reinstalled WLOC.  The firewall did turn back on and the XP box displayed the correct status.  On the reinstalled WLOC Vista box, the status still shows red and the action button says “In progress…”  On the other Vista box the status is showing correctly.  I then turned the firewall off again on the XP box and all 3 PCs corrected displayed the error.  I then pressed the Fix It button on the other Vista box.  This time all 3 PCs correctly displayed the correct/good status.  I also removed each PC from the circle then readded them.

At this point, it appers to be working, but I'm not confident enough to call it a resolved issue just yet.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:01 AM
  • Thanks for the update and do keep us posted.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:09 PM
  • I have the same problem, except it's the opposite, if that makes any sense. I have two computers running Windows XP and one running Windows Vista. All three are hub PCs. The one Windows XP computer reports that the entire circle is Green. The individual Windows Vista computer shows that it's own status is Green. However, the one Windows XP computer will report that the Windows Vista computer's firewall is off. If you check the Windows Vista computer it reports that it's own status is Green. If you disable and re-enable the firewall from the Vista computer it displays its own status properly, but it continues to show disabled through the XP computer even after being enabled again. If you click the Enable Firewall button on the XP computer to enable the firewall through the Circle the button turns disabled, but the status never changes, even after leaving both computers on in that state for 24 hours. I've reinstalled OneCare on all three PCs twice, used the CaclsDeleteDB.exe on all three computers as well, to no avail. I assume I should open a ticket regarding this issue, but I fear that since this problem is with the beta version (2.0.2392.4) of OneCare that there will be no desire to troubleshoot the issue on this obsolete version now that the final product is released. I have a purchased OneCare license already in use on three other computers as well, so I cannot put these computers on the final version of OneCare and I'm not really sure why this is happening nor any way to fix the problem.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Are all 3 computers running the beta code? If you reinstalled any of them from http://onecare.live.com they are not running the beta, but the released code in trial mode and they are on the production servers, which could explain why a PC or PCs that are still running the beta code are not reflecting the correct status for a PC that is running production code.

-steve

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 10:15 PM
  • They are all running the beta version 2.0.2392.4. I did this long before the production code was released. I usually had to keep the XP computers as non-hub PCs so that they would stay Green, but usually check them every week or so in hope that the problem will be fixed. Until now, as I reply I checked and one of the XP computers now reports Green on all 3 computers. The other, however, still shows the Vista computer as needing AV turned on and the firewall turned on. The Vista computer is turned off and its status was Green when it shut down. I just don't understand why it seems to be confused about the status of the Vista computer when the Vista computer and the other XP computer both agree that nothing is wrong.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:53 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification. I can't tell you why the status is reflected incorrectly at this point, though I can tell you that I expect that the beta servers will be shut down this month, so you'll be reinstalling the production code to continue with OneCare and perhaps that will resolve it.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:51 PM
  • I have the same problem.  I'm running up to date XP on a desktop and a laptop, both hubs.  Most recent OneCare download on both.  Though both local machines are green the desktop shows that the circle is fine, but the laptop shows falsely that the circle and desktop is red with interfering software though it was deleted 12 hours ago and both machines restarted and OneCare updated repeatedly. 

Monday, February 4, 2008 5:17 AM
  • If the status on the hub has not updated for the PC where interfering software was removed, it is possible that the hub showing the incorrect status is not receiving the updated information from the server. Please contact support if this persists - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, February 4, 2008 5:49 PM
  • I have a similar problem--1 Vista Business machine + 1 XP on wired network.  Both are hubs & both show the other as having interfering software even though I removed it from both TWO days ago.  Both machines have been on and connected.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:49 AM
  • Hi, John. I have the same advice for you - please contact support.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:11 AM
  • Hi,

Please see what I have written about this subject here,

http://blog.libertech.net/blogs/lketchum/archive/2008/02/10/fix-windows-live-onecare-circle-status.aspx 

Just bump (restart) the Security Center service on the OneCare Circle HUB-PC. It provides a quick fix for the problem you report, which results from how the security center service receives and reports status to OneCare.

Good Luck,

Lloyd

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:15 AM
  • I've got the same problem among XP machines and bumping the Security Service does nothing.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:35 PM
  •  Lloyd Ketchum wrote:

Hi,

Please see what I have written about this subject here,

http://blog.libertech.net/blogs/lketchum/archive/2008/02/10/fix-windows-live-onecare-circle-status.aspx 

Just bump (restart) the Security Center service on the OneCare Circle HUB-PC. It provides a quick fix for the problem you report, which results from how the security center service receives and reports status to OneCare.

Good Luck,

Lloyd

Thanks for that article, LLoyd.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:46 AM
  •  12AX7/ECC83 wrote:

I've got the same problem among XP machines and bumping the Security Service does nothing.

Support would be the way to go - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, February 11, 2008 2:46 AM
  • Let me add yet another version of this problem .. my VISTA hub suddenly was reporting one of the VISTA boxes as "at risk" for two different issues (after todays latest mass update from Microsoft), yet OC on that box showed everything as green and has never showed anything as "red". clicking on the "fix-it" for each issue on the OC circle entry for that at risk box resulted in "in progress" for over 30 minutes, after which I gave up and rebooted all the systems on the circle.  Since the hub was still reporting the same problems on the other VISTA box (I also have an XP Pro box with no problems being reported), I thought that I might be able to simply remove the at risk box from the circle, and then add it back with a good update on its status. Well, the removal worked fine .. but now the hub is not detecting the removed VISTA box at all.  Will I need to restart winss on that box, or will I need to uninstall OC run OC Clean and then reinstall OC on that box?  The "add pc" instructions don't seem to address this situation very well.
    John
    p.s. The latest mass update of some 16 packages was a disaster at my end.  The initial autoupdate on shutdown last night hung and I found it still trying to run update number 1 this morning. After restating the system and gettin 13 updates downloaded, three failed, then when restarting the system froze, then after a hard shut down it came back up but the activitiy circle would not complete .. another hard shutdown and restat resulted in erroneous detection of hard disk errors (chkdsk detected none), then after another soft restart received a blue screen twice before the system finally got "sync'd" and picked up the missing/failed updates.  This was interesting as my non hub VISTA pc executed the same mass update w/o incident.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:03 PM
  • When you remove a PC from the hub, you are removing it from the subscription, so the PC you removed is now in expired or "de-activated" mode and will need to be activated once again, which may require a reinstall. I haven't actually done this since the beta. During the beta, removing a PC from the hub required a reinstall on the PC you removed if you wanted OneCare to be activated on that PC.

I didn't encounter any problems with the security updates yesterday except that I thought it was done after rebooting in the morning to complete the installation, but when I connected the laptop at the office via dial-up, it downloaded an additional update that required a second reboot. I hate rebooting... In both cases, I was actually intending to put the laptop to sleep, but had to wait a fairly long time for the updates to complete installation n shutdown and startup. I don't believe that your update issue was related to OneCare, but you never know. This set of updates was apparently pretty hefty.

Oh, and after logging back in at home yesterday evening, after the second reboot, OneCare was red and complained that Windows AU was off. It wasn't, as I had just taken all of the updates! I clicked the button provided in OneCare and it was happy once again.

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:02 PM
  • For the problem with the hub not reflecting the correct status after a conflicting program has been removed from a PC in the Circle is being investigated. See this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2824430&SiteID=2

Note that at this point, 2/22/08, there is no solution, but Mona from Microsoft has acknowledged that they are investigating and working on the problem.

-steve

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:34 AM
  • Steve ... just as an update ... I have removed and re-added all my systems and things seemed to be running great with a VISTA hub, a VISTA non-hub .. and a XP non hub all on a LAN. But then the hub suddenly, erroneously,  reports the other VISTA box as going from green to being red for no virus/spyware and no firewall .. yet the non-hub VISTA box still shows green.  Telling the hub to "fix it" results in an extended "in progress" status with no change.  I am going to power everything down and then bring the systems up one at a time, hub first, and see if there is any change.  If so I will follow up with another update.
    John
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 3:05 AM
  • Again .. just an update. I powered everything down and let it sit for a half hour and then brought the systems back up .. hub first. The hub was still reporting the other VISTA box as red .. even though the other VISTA box said everything was ok.  I then again shut everything down and then brought everything back up this morning .. with the same status.  Then, for some unknown reason the hub then decided that the othere VISTA box was OK after all .. approximately one hour after restarting all the systems this morning.
    John
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 4:36 PM
  • The cause of this problem is still a mystery to me, John. OneCare reports its status to the servers during a regular heartbeat and the hub receives this information from the servers *and* also directly from each PC in the Circle when on the same subnet. Those experiencing this problem are apparently having some sort of communication issue between the PCs and/or the OneCare servers.

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:18 AM