Script to install drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am very new to scripting and to be honest only know really novice basic commands.

My business currently has no imaging software we are simply building laptops from scratch adding drivers manually,  binding to the domain manually and applying port configurations all manually. As I am sure you can appreciate this can take some time for me to complete.

What I would like to do to reduce the lengthy process is to be able to run a script that installs all my device drivers (I have all the drivers in separate .exe files) from a network location and for the installation wizards to choose default settings without having to reboot each time a driver is installed (i'm happy for a reboot once all of them are on but not every time each one gets installed as this could be a number of reboots)

My question is how do I do this, would this be in a .bat file, would I need powershell ? what exactly is it that I need to write in the script any help for a scripting novice would be greatly appreciated!

• Edited by Rachealh Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:33 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Monday, November 21, 2016 7:09 PM Unanswerable drive-by question
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:33 PM

Answers

• There is a lot of detail behind the statement "installs all my device drivers".

This depends entirely, and almost completely, upon the precise details of how each of those installers work.

Do they have "hands-free" (silent install, or no user interaction) modes? Are all of the installers built by the same company and use the same command-line parameters and/or properties? (I would bet this is unlikely.)

Consequently, you will need to ask the vendor of each installer how to do a hands-free install. That is not something we can answer for you in a forum. (We didn't author those installers and thus can't speak to what they can or cannot do.)

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, November 21, 2016 7:08 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:48 PM

All replies

• There is a lot of detail behind the statement "installs all my device drivers".

This depends entirely, and almost completely, upon the precise details of how each of those installers work.

Do they have "hands-free" (silent install, or no user interaction) modes? Are all of the installers built by the same company and use the same command-line parameters and/or properties? (I would bet this is unlikely.)

Consequently, you will need to ask the vendor of each installer how to do a hands-free install. That is not something we can answer for you in a forum. (We didn't author those installers and thus can't speak to what they can or cannot do.)

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, November 21, 2016 7:08 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:48 PM
  • I recommend PowerShell for any such operations.

As Bill Stewart mentioned, you need to work with the vendor or by yourselves. we may help you to fix some errors and guide you to respective reference document.

--Prashanth

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 7:09 PM