none
Cannot access WHS console or by remore access. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I have 4 p/c's laptops all 64-bit windows 7 home premium and Acer Home Server with WHS software and connector. All was fine last week until I got the latest windows security patch and now I have lost connection on all 4 p/c's to both the log-in function using the connector icon or remotely @ homerserver.com. I can still acess the shared folders and back-ups are running as normal. No antivirus running on server. Router have been configured for port forwarding 4125. I can understand an individual p/c not connecting for a p/c specific problem but not 4 at the same time. Is there any conflict problem between 64-bit p/c's and 32-bit servers? 
    Also regaring the remote connection to homeserver.com. IE8 is attempting to connect to site 24.215.81.174 however the problem advised by the connector wizard check is "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection" - what does this mean and how do I resolve?
    Thanks Mike
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:30 AM

Answers

• It sounds to me like you're using a third party DNS service, such as OpenDNS. The IP address you quoted belongs to a Canadian ISP, and it's unlikely it's on your home network. Power Pack 3 has some additional checking to deal with OpenDNS, so if you haven't installed it yet, perhaps you should.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Hello,
    the hosts file is an extension less text file which can be found in a subfolder of Windows and can be edited as explained in the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.
    The IP address you mentioned is the external. However can you ping the internal address of your home server?
    Did you, as I asked, attempt a server reboot (in case some service hangs or did not start properly, which happens sometimes after installation of a Windows Update) or connecting with Remote Desktop either by name or by (internal) IP address?
    Did you install a security suite on the server or any other application?
    For Remote Access your router would have to forward the ports 80, 443 and 4125.
    Besides, if you did reset the router and the server is configured to get the IP addreess via DHCP from the router, the servers IP address may now have changed.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:54 PM

All replies

• You may try running discovery.exe included in the Windows Home Server folder to reconnect those machines to the server.

Remote connection is usually a problem with your network or firewall. Check your port configurations and try manually forwarding those ports.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Unable to locate discovery.exe in the server software folder contents I can view from my p/c . Specifically where would I find this file? Would removing WHS connector software from one p/c and then re-installing be of any benefit and if yes why should this actually work - what is being changed by doing this? 

The network connects to evey other PC internally and every other external connection attempted to date - zero problem anywhere with the singular exception of the homeserver.com remote connection. Perhaps I read the advised warning message differently but my interpretation is that the problem identified lies on the receiving side at homeserver.com; "The connection was detected but not allowed"  so I guess I would like to understand why the receiving connection would not allow? This is an HTTPS connection so which security safeguard is stopping the connection. Could the IE8 security update be producing unintended consequences or am I the only person reporting this loss of connectivity problem? Why do the server shared folders and backup continue working happily yet the connector stops connecting?

McAfee System services on the pc's/laptops configured to open Ports 80, 443 and 4125. D-Link Router manually configured for server port 4125 forwarding. McAfee sees the server on the network and network is fully connected to internet. Any other ports which need to be opened? Again nothing was touched or changed internally last week - I'm the only one doing any changes and have not touched McAfee, WHS, P.C's for 3+ weeks as there were no problems encountered. This just started after the last security update from Microsoft. I happily avoid tinkering when everything is working OK. 
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:25 AM
  • It sounds to me like you're using a third party DNS service, such as OpenDNS. The IP address you quoted belongs to a Canadian ISP, and it's unlikely it's on your home network. Power Pack 3 has some additional checking to deal with OpenDNS, so if you haven't installed it yet, perhaps you should.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Hi, 

That's interesting. Google Chrome was downloaded last week onto 1 p/c last week to test increased connection speed to other internet sites. This is still being used and the loss of connectivity to WHS continues. Do I understand correctly that this may be the root problem and if uninstalled access to the server and homeserver.com should return to all p/c's? Until I can get access to the server admin I can't do anything about adding PP3.  If access returns I can add PP3 and then would be OK re-install Google Chrome?     
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:18 PM
  • Did you already try to reboot your server?
    Could you use the Remote Desktop client to connect to the server using the account name Administrator and the console password?
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Google Chrome is a browser. It shouldn't be using an alternate DNS provider like OpenDNS, so if you didn't configure an alternate DNS provider perhaps your ISP did? What DNS servers are reported when you check your router's configuration?

In any case, if you're having trouble gaining access to your server, you can try setting up an entry in your HOSTS file on a client. That should let you access your server to run the console and install Power Pack 3.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:47 PM
  • I contacted my ISP which advises they use dynamicDNS and no changes made anytime recently. D.Link helped reset the router settings and reconfirmed that the router is working correctly using dynamicDNS. the port forawrding (4125) has been removed to avoid any possibility of requiring a static I.P.address. All equipment has been rebooted and I still can't access the server either by the http/https route or the pc toobar icon. The same IE warning message "The connection was detected but not allowed" and using the server icon on the pc the other message is that "this computer cannot connect to your home server" The previous I.P. address 24.215.81.174 no longer appears as IE8 attempts to connect however the end result is the same.

Where is the HOSTS file and what type of entry needs to be set up to allow access? 
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Hello,
    the hosts file is an extension less text file which can be found in a subfolder of Windows and can be edited as explained in the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.
    The IP address you mentioned is the external. However can you ping the internal address of your home server?
    Did you, as I asked, attempt a server reboot (in case some service hangs or did not start properly, which happens sometimes after installation of a Windows Update) or connecting with Remote Desktop either by name or by (internal) IP address?
    Did you install a security suite on the server or any other application?
    For Remote Access your router would have to forward the ports 80, 443 and 4125.
    Besides, if you did reset the router and the server is configured to get the IP addreess via DHCP from the router, the servers IP address may now have changed.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

I have pinged the internal Ip address 192.168.0.193 and received the following: Packets sent =4, Received =4, lost =0 <0% loss>

I have reset the WHS console from the options choice on the WHS log-in screen.

I have McAfee Virus Scan Plus on all p/c's - no change other than auto-updates from McAfee. I have not installed McAfeeASAP onto the server because of problems previously encountered with McAfeeASAP on a second server I have which was disconnected weeks ago because WHS could not properly handle 2 servers on the same internal network.

D-Link recommended that I remove port forwarding to avoid any possibility that a static IP address was required and they helped reset the router and confirmed that DynamicDNS was operating correctly. I had set up port forwarding previously for 4125 and had access to the server. This was still in place when I lost connection last week and only deleted today after discussing with D-Link. McAfee Virus Scan Plus on each PC has full access granted to ports 80, 443 and 4125.

Regarding "How to Troubleshoot network connection problems with WHS" I have accessed and attempted to update the HOSTS driver file by adding 192.168.0.193 MYWHS however the changes have only been save to a file in My Documents as I receive a message that I do not have administrator permission to change to the sys32 driver location even though I appear to have full administrator permisson at teh user level. What do I need to change to save the file correctly?

Lastly I ran an ipconfig/all from the command prompt and everything seems to be in line with the expected results contained in the same "How to troubleshoot Network connection Problems with WHS".

At this point I feel I have come full circle and that my initial impression that the loss of connectivity occured at the time of the last windows security update last week remains. If I can get clarification on how to sucessfully save the updated driver file then I will advise if I can then access the server thru the WHS console and/or remotely.

Thanks 

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:21 AM
  • HI

Further to my latest reply above, I took out a laptop that runs XP and I last used 3-4 weeks ago and which previously connected to the server ok. I repeated the same connection exercise with this laptop using the connector icon / the 55000 & 56000 route and also the server.homeserver.com route and has reported exactly the same loss of connectivity problem. Consequently to accomplish "a server reboot (in case some service hangs or did not start properly, which happens sometimes after installation of a Windows Update)" is there another way to reset/reboot the server other than resetting from the WHS console/options without undertaking a full server recovery? I have no easy place to transfer the existing server data to insure against a loss of data if recovery is the only option left. I can share between the 4 p/c's but that is the last thing I actually want to do and partially defeats the whole purpose of having the server.  

Why do some WHS services hang or do not start properly after installation of a windows update? This is not the first time I have run into loss of connectivity on the admin console side so why do shared folders and backups apparently run without a hitch (zero problems enountered to date). Is there a vastly different connection and security logic between the user and admin connection links to the server? 

Thanks
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Regarding "How to Troubleshoot network connection problems with WHS" I have accessed and attempted to update the HOSTS driver file by adding 192.168.0.193 MYWHS however the changes have only been save to a file in My Documents as I receive a message that I do not have administrator permission to change to the sys32 driver location even though I appear to have full administrator permisson at teh user level. What do I need to change to save the file correctly?

In the FAQ I also wrote how to gain the possibility to save the hosts file on the proper place - right click notepad and select Run as Administrator and then open hosts in this instance of notepad.
    I also would recommend trying to uninstall the McAfee software on at least one PC and try again, since I scould uspect the reason there (maybe not Windows Update, but an upgrade of the security suite disconnected the clients?). The mentioned ports do not play a big role for internal access (they are mainly for Remote access), here are other ports relevant. TCP 55000, TCP 56000, Backup TCP 8912, Transport TCP 1138 would be the ports which need to be accessible internally for the communication between clients and server.
    You still didn't answer my questions in relation to Server Reboot and Remote Desktop.
    Do the client PCs see the network connection as work/home or as public?
    Is the server self built and has an NVidia card? In this case the FAQ How to handle error message “The Password is incorrect” attempting console access could help.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:34 AM
  • This morning when I started up the full network, the shared folder access to the server had been lost. I ran the network troubleshooter and received the following a) possible DNS error 2) The network path was not found error code 0x80070035.

Firstly I attempted a system restore but then received error code 0x80070002 and the restore would not complete. I checked on the internet and one reason for receiving the 0x80070002 Error is due to not having all of the files that should have been transmitted when updating software. This is an initialization error that occurs after files have been downloaded, and extracted to the computer.” Does this mean that the MS critical update last week which I still suspect caused the problem did not download and install correctly on all 4 p/c’s or that files relating to WHS were then out-of-sync with the updated p/c’s and/or the anti-virus software was also out-of-sync? Is a registry error causing this on the p/c’s and on the server and if yes how to fix the specific error?

I updated the driver file however this had not effect. I then took the fateful step of pressing the server reset button and rebooting the server using the Acer Recovery disc however this also failed as the network connection between the server and the router has stopped working. The” find server” program on the Acer recovery disc cannot find the server and the d-link router does not see the server either. The server is now stuck somewhere thru the re-boot process and nothing I have tried can get it out of the loop/block encountered.

The 4 p/c’s using Windows 7 are still able to communicate with each other and all have access to the internet. It’s only the server which has lost connection to the router and I need to regain access and get the server re-boot to complete.  

HELP

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:56 PM
  • This morning when I started up the full network, the shared folder access to the server had been lost. I ran the network troubleshooter and received the following a) possible DNS error 2) The network path was not found error code 0x80070035.

Firstly I attempted a system restore but then received error code 0x80070002 and the restore would not complete. I checked on the internet and one reason for receiving the 0x80070002 Error is due to not having all of the files that should have been transmitted when updating software. This is an initialization error that occurs after files have been downloaded, and extracted to the computer.” Does this mean that the MS critical update last week which I still suspect caused the problem did not download and install correctly on all 4 p/c’s or that files relating to WHS were then out-of-sync with the updated p/c’s and/or the anti-virus software was also out-of-sync? Is a registry error causing this on the p/c’s and on the server and if yes how to fix the specific error?

I updated the driver file however this had not effect. I then took the fateful step of pressing the server reset button and rebooting the server using the Acer Recovery disc however this also failed as the network connection between the server and the router has stopped working. The” find server” program on the Acer recovery disc cannot find the server and the d-link router does not see the server either. The server is now stuck somewhere thru the re-boot process and nothing I have tried can get it out of the loop/block encountered.

The 4 p/c’s using Windows 7 are still able to communicate with each other and all have access to the internet. It’s only the server which has lost connection to the router and I need to regain access and get the server re-boot to complete.  

HELP

It sounds to me like the NIC in your server is dying (or perhaps the network cable between the server and the router).  Have  you tried replacing the cable yet?  Have you called Acer for support?
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Hi

Along the same lines are your comment suggested, I spoke with someone today who has worked with microsoft servers (not WHS) and is reasonably familiar with the programmming. The advice given regarding hardware was 1) test if the cable is faulty by swapping the server cable with another PC - which I did with no change in status - the server still could not connect but the PC did therefore not a cable problem. 2) Disconnect the modem and all other pc's linked to the router and leave only one pc and the server connected to the router to allow the server to attempt connection and the router to identify the server and assign an IP address. This also failed. Other p'c's and the modem were then started in order and each was identified by the router and full connectivity to the internal network and externally to the internet was confirmed. This indicates that the root problem lies within the Acer Server and the question is whether this is a NIC/Motherboard failure or there is software incompatability with a hardware driver or software update/non-update. The timing of the problem at the critical MS update last weeek indicates to me that the critical fix has unintentionally caused a compatability problem with either an ACER server NIC driver or the WHS server software. To eliminate the software problem it would be appreciated if a moderator on this forum with access to the WHS team clarifies if they are aware of any current software issue involving the ACER easyStore H340 server model. Once that is clarified what remains is either an NIC failure or a Motherboard failure. At this point I have no idea if the NIC & Motherborad are integrated or separate however unless I go through this process of elimination ACER will not accept that is a hardware problem or a firmware driver incompatability/corruption problem.

Thanks
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:38 AM
  • If you have a separate switch or a cross link cable you could try to connect only the server and the client directly or via the switch without connection to the router. Assuming the client is configured to receive the IP address via DHCP, the address would be a private APIPA assigned address now. The same for the server.
    So all interception eventually caused by other devices in the network could be excluded during the installation process.
    And yes, the components on the OEM home servers including Acer are highly integrated (all onboard)
    Good luck
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Hi

I am guessing when you talk about a separate switch or s cross link cable. The ACER has a slot for a usb2.0 male connector, so does the d-link router and the p/c used to attempt the connection. I have obtained a male-male usb 2.0 patch cable to try and attempt a link directly between the pc and the server - tomorrow my time - too late today to start this. I'm still not sure what you are seeking to achieve - access to the data on the hard discs or a method to complete the re-boot which has gone wrong? The acer server recovery disc is looking for the server via the router so I still can't understand how a direct pc-server connection will allow me to recover the server. Please clarify. Regarding the components on the acer servers being highly integrated - are you are referring to the hardware - NIC and motherboard? It was suggested to me to remove the drives and attach the e-sata cable to an equivalent connector on a pc to read as another drive. Currently the 3 hard discs are one combined storage area on the server and I would need enough slots on a motherboard to add all three.  

Should I understand that a software update is unlikely to have played any part hanging the server? Why is a hardware failure on a 4 month old machine more likely? The timing of the problem encountered last week with the MS critical update indicates a software conflict somewhere.

Friday, January 29, 2010 2:35 AM
  • No, USB direct connection will not work, since this is not a network interface, but serves other purposes (i.e. attaching printers or disks).
    Network interface is the RJ45 plug.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Hi

I have spoken again with acer and re-described the problems encountered. They do not know whether this is hardware related however they have agreed that I send the server to their repair centre. It is now on it's way and I will post to the forum after I have been advised by Acer what the problem is. The only consolation is that they advise that the drives should not have lost the data and when the server is returned the drives can be re-inserted without being re-formatted by the same machine......let's see.

Thanks for the suggestions to date. 
    Friday, January 29, 2010 4:59 PM
  • Hello

The Server has now been returned by ACER advising no hardware problem and this is a software corruption issue  - which was my initial impression as described earlier in this posting. There seems to be a syncronisation issue involving updates between Microsoft, W7, WHS, McAfee which has put my server in a non recoverable mode. ACER have advised they will assist with a RESTORE TO FACTORY SETTINGS, however have not yet explained how to access the server via a PC as it still cannot be seen by the router. I need to access and save the server data before further considering this step. 

I placed one of the HDD server drives, which had been removed from the server prior to sending to ACER, into a separate SATA hard drive enclosure and treated as a legacy drive (i.e. no re-formatting of disc) then connected to a laptop running W7 using the supplied USB 2.0 cable. The external hard drive appears correctly as Drive F and by viewing drive properties I can see there is data on the external disc which is cunningly described as DATA (F:). however when I first attempted to access I received the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH on my laptop which closed down to protect the operating system and when reopened has a warning about the FILE SYSTEM which indicates to me that the WHS File system is not compatible with W7 64bit when a server drive is removed and treated as a single external hard drive to access data.

Suggestions please as to how to access the server drives individually using the separate SATA hard drive enclosure in order to identify file types and then copy over to my computer hard drive. I must admit I expected to see standard windows folders sitting on drive F which contained material I am trying to rescue and would appreciate clarification as to why this is not happening? I tried this procedure with 2 separate server hard drives and got the same result. I thought the first attempt failed because the particular drive contained secure back-ups however the second server drive produced the same result which means that standard shared folders such as music and images cannot be viewed and copied. 

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:46 PM

• Following along from my latest post above earlier today, I have spoken with a local computer repair shop which can attempt data recovery however they are not familiar with WHS - and so far I have not located anyone who is familiar with WHS. They suggested that I first try using MS-DOS command CHKDSK/P/R to check each of the server hard drives individually on the separate SATA hard drive enclosure- however is WHS compatible with MS-DOS to allow access to drives and repair if required? Windows software from Win98 to Win7 is compatible - however WHS is not specifically mentioned? If WHS software has become corrupted what type of event would be able to corrupt the software and what is the recommended recovery solution?  

Also I refer to an earlier posting by OLAF ENGELKE suggesting that I use an RJ45 plug. As far as I can determine this is the ethernet cable I currently have between the server and router -  are you recommending that I plug the server directly into one PC using this cable to access the server drives? This would avoid the router however would this network interface work directly with a single PC?

Another suggestion is using open source software such as linux on a boot up CD - however I have no idea what specific software would be required or specifically how to progress to access drives and copy. Any experts out there who can help?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:58 PM
  • To recover data from your server hard drives, please read this post in the FAQ section.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Ken

I read the article and then attempted the procedure using the server drive currently set-up in the separate SATA hard drive enclosure. So Far So Good - I can actually see the files and will need to work thru all server drives 1 by 1 to copy the data over. If this works I will be a very relieved person. I will post again after I complete. In the interim many thanks for directing me to this particular post in  the FAQ section. At last I begin to see a glimmer of light at the end of a long dark tunnel. 

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:44 PM
  • Attn Ken Warren

Hi Ken, I am directing this to you as I have located an almost identical situation which you posted to in 2008

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/552e4070-b755-4b59-9667-efbba037d55e

I have 3 1Tb drives in my Acer Home server. I have already accessed the two drives which I added after purchasing and copied over the data. This left the initial partitioned drive which was supplied by ACER containing the WHS Software, I'm guessing that the Factory Settings is the small separate partition and the current version on the main drive. There are also mirror files of all the data files split over the other 2 drives and if I attempt to copy from the mirror files I receive error message Error 0x80070780. As I already have the data from the other files copied this should present no problem. If the partitioned drive mirrors all the data spread over the other discs what happens when the data on the other discs exceeds the capacity of the partitioned drive to mirror - or will this not happen as there is no real data being mirrored - only files names and structures?

Secondly prior to being able to access the partitioned drive Windows required a check disk scan which has identified and corrected problem(s) which I suspect is/are the root cause and I have posted below hopefully for feedback which will explain what went wrong. I also noticed that the same problem regarding loss of NIC in the 2008 post and does it not seem like there is a common issue underlying? Is it a suspected server driver update problem or a windows update failure - I notice that the latter had an update on the 22nd january which co-incides with the day all p'c's lost connection to the server. I find postings on google that file $hf_mig$ has previously caused a WHS server error and this file was last updated on the 22nd January - co-incidence or no connection? Here is the CHKDSK info below

Checking disk SYS

Some problems were found and fixed
    Any files that were affected by these problems were moved to a folder named "Found" on the device or disk. Your device or disk is now ready to use

Volume label is SYS
    CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)
    Deleted corrupt attribute list entry
    with type code 128 in file 17316
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128,"")
    from file record segment 27831
    Deleting corrupt attribute record (128,"")
    from file record segment 28262
     30496 file records processed

File verification completed
     282 large file records processed

0 bad file records processed

0 EA records processed

7 reparse records processed

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    Deleting index entry ETA09C~1 in index 4130 of file 6132
    Deleting index entry etilqs_sobfDa5qokILyqL in index $130 of file 6132
     36922 index entries processed

Index verification completed
     CHKDSK is scanning unindexed files for reconnect to their original directory

Recovering orphaned file tmp.edb (27499) into directory file 549

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3of3)...
     30496 file Sds/SIDs processed.

Security descriptor verification completed
    Inserting data attribute into file 17316
     3215 data files processed

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal
    Repairing Usn Journal $j data stream.
    Usn Journal verification completed
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    master file table (MFT) bitmap
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap
    Windows has made corrections to the file system

20972825 KB total disk space
     7521440 KB in 26862 files
        7992 KB in 3215 indexes
       98209 KB in use by system
       65536 KB occupied by the log file
    13345184 KB available on disk

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
         5243206 total allocation units on disk
         3336296 allocation units available on disk
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Hi

I would like to ask another question regarding data recovery based on my 3 disc set up as already described. For example, from the 2 additional 1Tb data discs I have recovered a total of 94 top level music folders versus the 250 music folders identified on SYS disc 1. Does this mean that the missing 156 folders were physically held on the sys disc or that they are actually on the other 2 data discs but cannot be located/recovered because of the SYS disc data corruption as described above? I have also described the error message Error 0x80070780 if I attempt to access the same folder/file from the SYS disc. Can someone please clarify how WHS is designed to spread the files over the 2 data discs or all 3 discs including the SYS disc and what percentage was to be placed on each disc which are not running in duplication mode. I understood that a sophisticated algorithm was used to effectively/evenly spread the data however it appears even if I simply divide by 3 that I should be able to recover 66% of the files rather than the current 38% which seems disproportionatley low given the additional 2 x 1Tb disc space availability? Is there a way to locate/access/copy the still missing/hidden folders?

Friday, February 12, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Can you please tell us exactly where, on the system disk which generated the chkdsk errors you mention above, you looked for files?
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:16 AM
  • Hi

I will let you know after I access the data disk. I turned on the separate SATA hard drive enclosure which has the SYS disk and received the same message as yesterday that there may be problems on the disk. Yesterday I ran the pre selected check disk option  - Automatically fix file system errors and posted the CHKDSK results. Today I have also selected the additional option - Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This is currently running and processed around 20,000 files at this point in time. I will post again after CHKDSK is completed with results and also regarding the files I am accessing on the SYS disk.  
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Hi

Firstly, I believe I have recovered all data. Yesterday I was mistakenly accessing the shares folder on the DATA disk rather than DE/shares. Secondly, I ran CHKDSK – results extracted below and also have now accessed the log files.

Volume label is DATA

CHKDSK is verifying files

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)…

Deleting an index entry from index $R of file 26.

Deleting an index entry from index $R of file 26.

Inserting an index entry into index $R of file 26.

Inserting an index entry into index $R of file 26.

CHKDSK is scanning unindexed files for reconnect to their original directory.

Recovering orphaned file (user)-1V~1.CON (21484) into directory file 59

Recovering orphaned file (user)-1.VolumeConfig.configdat (21484) into directory file 59.

Recovering orphaned file {1ADB1~1.CON (47600) into directory file 59.

Recovering orphaned file {1ADB1780-BB20-4F9F-8D30-905DFB9C9E39}.Machine.configdat (47600) into directory file 59

Correcting errors in the master file table’s (MFT) BITMAP attribute

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

There are a variety of different log files which contain error messages. How significant individual problems are I do not know and hope that someone out there will advise accordingly:

drwtsn32:

Application exception occurred:

App: C:\Program Files\Wistron\WiDMS\WiDMS.exe (pid=1968)

When: 19/10/2009 @ 15:50:00.109

Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

*----> Stack Back Trace <----*

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll -

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for C:\Program Files\Wistron\WiDMS\WiDMS.exe

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll -

ChildEBP RetAddr  Args to Child             

WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.

0012fc34 7d1f5edb 000000a8 0012fcf8 0000021a ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet

0012fc60 7d1f5f82 000000a8 0012fcf8 0000021a ADVAPI32!LookupPrivilegeValueW+0x114

0012fcd4 7d2477b7 000000a8 0012fcf8 0000021a ADVAPI32!LookupPrivilegeValueW+0x1bb

0012ff18 0041909d 0012ff24 0047cabc 004116e0 ADVAPI32!StartServiceCtrlDispatcherA+0x93

0012ffc0 77e6f23b 00000000 00000000 7ffd4000 WiDMS+0x1909d

0012fff0 00000000 0045fb67 00000000 78746341 kernel32!ProcessIdToSessionId+0x209

Other error messages located in various WHS Logs

[19/01/2010 10:50:45 PM  2a0] OpenedFile::Open: Error 5 opening {C38C74B3-5C0B-4C32-ADA6-F7113EDB7D6B},b000000023974

[19/01/2010 10:50:45 PM  2a0] ERROR: DEFileFromShadow(c:\fs\V\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\GEM.VolumeConfig.configdat-1,c38c74b3-5c0b-4c32-ada6-f7113edb7d6b) threw - err=5

[19/01/2010 10:50:45 PM  2a0] ERROR: Fatal exception in Secondary Pass on c:\fs\V\DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\(user).VolumeConfig.configdat-1: error

[19/01/2010 9:00:04 PM  28c] DEFilter!CopySecurityDescriptorWorker: Error c000005a from ZwSetSecurityObject(target

[2010/01/18 07:14:52  b54]   CTransportConfig::RecoverConfig Verifying 4 clients

[18/01/2010 7:15:43 AM  b54] Version 6.0.2423.0

[18/01/2010 7:15:43 AM  b54] *** Client 893a1479-718f-46c1-b3a4-f0045b29c715 has an obsolete version #4 of transport protocol, needs an upgrade to 09770000.

[18/01/2010 7:15:19 AM  e3c] Could not find router... Not updating

[18/01/2010 7:15:19 AM  e3c] Failed to update with hr = 0x80004005

[18/01/2010 7:15:20 AM  e3c] WARNING: Comparing Ip -192.168.0.193- -192.168.0.193-

[18/01/2010 7:15:20 AM  e3c] WARNING: Mismatch External Port 443 80

[18/01/2010 11:13:37 PM  d24] Last Error is 12157

[18/01/2010 11:13:37 PM  d24] Processed hr = 0x80072f7d

[18/01/2010 11:13:37 PM  d24] ERROR: Failed to UpdateDynamicDnsIp() with hr = 0x80072f7d

[17/01/2010 12:09:46 AM  e3c] Could not GetGenricPortMapping with hr=0x80004005

[17/01/2010 12:09:46 AM  e3c] WARNING: Might be conflicting.. Checking equality

[17/01/2010 12:09:46 AM  e3c] WARNING: Comparing Ip -192.168.0.193- -192.168.0.193-

I located the following forum threads dealing with certain error messages:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/a9d00c58-8e4b-4169-9d66-eb352cf9f4e2

If correct WiDMS crashes due to path names longer than it can deal with, and if so I have already encountered such files where the names were too long to be copied over to recover. Why the server accepted these file name lengths in the first place and then crashes seems very poor programming.

Regarding the extract of the CHKDSK report, there are errors including Machine.configdat:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/6bd2e9f8-7fc9-4855-bc21-4d6f495a8f4e/

Comments of JGW321 on 19 Nov 2008 were the last posting to this thread and closely mirror my own experience. It reminds me a bit of Windows 3.1 and Windows 98 in terms of lack of reliability. Since September 2009 (5 months) the connector has lost connection too many times to count. I have restored back to factory settings twice and back the point of loosing user settings twice and now a complete failure to recover the server which has been ongoing since 26<sup>th</sup> Jan.  I bought this system to provide an extra level of insurance and found the opposite – my regular computers are now being used to back up
     the server. I still don’t know whether the problems encountered are related or otherwise and I have spent excessive time contacting Acer, McAfee, WHS forums. I could only access the server drives and logs after buying another external hard drive enclosure and install the DATA/SYS partitioned drive to view. On the positive side – I have learnt more about servers and server software than initially expected. ………Any feed back on the different errors identified above and their potential effect on the server - to the point of currently being non recoverable (maybe will recover after the CHKDSK repairs?) would be appreciated.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:35 AM