Sluggish performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Recently I noticed that I will get periodical moments where the network browsing/access will be sluggish. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes or so to load and sometimes it takes almost forever. Other time it will even loose connection totally (failed to search for the server). While on server machine itself things will just freeze while HDD light seems to be permanently on. Normally this will fix itself after maybe 15-20 minutes time.

Also I have suffered several symptoms such as :
    1) I can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to WHS
    2) Whenever I try to access WHS remotely (RDP, Remote Access) WHS tends to freeze
    3) Very slow when using Remote Access feature

I am thinking to do a restore by putting in the DVD. Will this help? Should I be trying something else?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 12:09 PM

All replies

• Have you checked your server's event logs for any errors? Can you examine your server's hard drive configuration (in device manager) to see if any/all are running in PIO mode?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Have you checked your server's event logs for any errors? Can you examine your server's hard drive configuration (in device manager) to see if any/all are running in PIO mode?

Nothing wrong in the Event Viewer. Not sure of how to do the second step though... I can get into Device Manager there's only two errors but those are for Display and Sound Driver which I didn't install on the mobo.
    • Proposed as answer by Ronni333 Friday, February 12, 2010 1:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:26 PM
  • In device manager - right click on your hard disk and adapters and select properties - they should read UDMA enabled or similar.
    --
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Yup just checked they are all UDMA not PIO.

I have Diskeeper add in running as well but I don't think that's the problem. Thing is right now it seems to be behaving fine but I am doing work hence minimal server access. I will keep monitoring and update thread.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:48 PM
  • You could try removing your addins and see if that helps.  From time to time the server will be busy doing something so won't be responsive, mostly during the backup window.
    --
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:06 PM
  • I only have Whiist, Diskeeper and RemoteAlert as my Add ins. However, I will try to remove what I can. Really need these three though since the are very valuable to me.

I will try to minimise the backup window timeframe, will that help? Is there anything else I can do to ensure that my WHS is healthy? It's on 24/7 by the way and I will shut it down around twice a month for 12 hours to let it "rest".
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Start by removing Diskeeper. See if that helps.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Start by removing Diskeeper. See if that helps.
    Hopefully it's not that, I paid for it :(

edit: Could it because of the way my HDDs are configured? They show up as IDE instead of SATA in Device Manager. Here's a link to the screenshot of my Device Manager : http://i45.tinypic.com/3505abd.png
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Hi Jonathancy,

We are recommending to remove things (temporarily) to try and home in on the problem.  We're not saying you are never allowed to run diskeeper again ;-)

If all your disks are running UDMA modes and not PIO then your disks are fine - there is tiny advantage to running SATA drivers but you'd not notice it on a Home Server.

Actually I think we should have said early to run up task manager  - click on Start->Run - type "taskmgr"  (or press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC) and when you notice the system is sluggish look to see what processes are taking up the CPU cycles.  If you click on the column heading "CPU" you can sort the rows by how much CPU they are taking up.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:28 PM