Changing out a bad drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I know this has been beaten to death, but please bear with me. Mine is special.

The setup,

WHS 4 hardrives. 1 drive went bad. I tested each drive on another computer and can "see" data on 2 drives (#1,#2). System pertition and data on another (#3) and the #4 is bad. Duplication is on for everything.

I have a new fresh drive to install. Can I simply pull the bad and install the new?

When the drive went bad it completely crashed my WHS. I think what happened is that my WHS ran out of storage space. The space kept getting larger from constant backups. Eventually causing corruption. And I wasn't paying attention. No backups other than what is on WHS. I will fix that after getting my WHS back up.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:21 PM

All replies

• Nothing special here. A drive failure is a drive failure.

You have a bad drive, and you know which one it is. So you remove it from the storage pool (while connected if it's working but throwing errors, after it's disconnected otherwise) and install a new drive in it's place. See this FAQ for more information about what data is at risk in this operation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Nothing special here. A drive failure is a drive failure.

You have a bad drive, and you know which one it is. So you remove it from the storage pool (while connected if it's working but throwing errors, after it's disconnected otherwise) and install a new drive in it's place. See this FAQ for more information about what data is at risk in this operation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Unforunately, I know this is not reliable.  I had 2 large drives in my WHS.  My 2nd drive went bad... I replaced it with a bigger drive and added it to the pool.  But I lost ALL my data that was on the share drive.  When I goto the share drive, I only have icons with arrows in them (shortcuts) and if I right click on any, I get the proper stats of the file... but the physical file is gone.  I look at the drive resources page and it shows no data in the drive space for those files and folders, but it show space used (or number of files) in the icons at the bottom.  Although I had all my shared folders set on shared/duplicate, it didn't work for me.  I lost GBs worth of files, music and pictures that are gone!  Please don't tell me I should have had that backed up... cause what is the purpose of the OS then?  What is the purpose of the shared/duplicate.  It didn't work for me.. and I would throw WHS away except it is running my web, so I am stuck with it for now...  I turned off the backups, cause all my remote computers are Windows 7... and this lousy product doesn't like Windows 7.  I had one remote computer failure.  Tried to use the current backup... NOT!  Didn't, wouldn't and won't work or restore.  I had to reinstall the Windows 7 from the manufacturer... 

WHS isn't for me.  I need something that is dependable and that works...  Also, I never had so many drive failure problems until I started using this WHS... in fact, I have some old computers from late 90's that are operating perfectly fine... rarily.. and I mean rarily have I had a drive failure.  Since I've had WHS, I have had 3 drive failures...  and no software in this world will restore anything.  It is greyed out in the Computer Management, so it won't initialize...  anything else that is ABLE to see the drive finds nothing on it.  It is like WHS partioning destroys the drive...  I am done with it.

hear the drive churning when plugged in.  I've tried everything to recover

Monday, June 28, 2010 6:01 PM