Money 2005 UK error when trying to open RRS feed

• Question

• I have just had a similar issue - having used Money 2005 (UK) successfully for a while, I have just tried to open it and I receive an error message saying the file is corrupted or not a Money data file. The same message appears when I try to open my backup file. The same file opened perfectly 24 hours ago. Any suggestions most welcome, as this could be a major catastrophe if I can't access the info any longer!

Monday, September 4, 2017 9:32 PM

All replies

• I have just had a similar issue - having used Money 2003 (UK) successfully for a while, I have just tried to open it and I receive an error message saying the file is corrupted or not a Money data file. The same message appears when I try to open my backup file. The same file opened perfectly 24 hours ago. Any suggestions most welcome, as this could be a major catastrophe if I can't access the info any longer!

I see that you edited the file to say 2005 rather than Money 2003.

Copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically in C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Money Plus\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\) to your
    Documents folder.  Open Money by right-clicking that copy of
    sample.mny and choose Open.  Migrate to the Portfolio.  Does it
    display?  If not, the problem is probably with your installation.

If the Portfolio does display in Sample.mny, I suspect a problem with your
    file.  Hold (make a copy of) your backups in case you want to restore one that
    pre-dates the problem.  You can switch back to your file by clicking File, and
    selecting your regular file from the list at the bottom.

You can try a File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair.  That is simple, but it
    probably will not solve this.  Then try I would try making a repaired version
    of your file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

If it still does not work, try restoring a backup that pre-dates the problem.

Monday, September 4, 2017 9:39 PM
  • This thread contains three different issues:

- Bilster67 - Money 2003 won't open after a reboot

- Bizucks - "same issue" but no response to questions about exact error message,  Money version, Windows version, etc.

- dickieducker - "similar issue" but he has MOney 2005 and his file is corrupt

Cal,

Maybe you should split this into three threads? 

Bill Becker

Monday, September 4, 2017 10:16 PM
  • This thread contains three different issues:

- Bilster67 - Money 2003 won't open after a reboot

- Bizucks - "same issue" but no response to questions about exact error message,  Money version, Windows version, etc.

- dickieducker - "similar issue" but he has MOney 2005 and his file is corrupt

Cal,

Maybe you should split this into three threads? 

Bill Becker

I went for 2 threads. Lets see if Bizucks can respond on the other thread.
    Monday, September 4, 2017 10:45 PM
  • sample.mny opened fine and the portfolio was viewable.

however, trying to open my file still comes up as 'corrupted or not Money data file'.

and my last backup comes up as 'corrupted or not a Money backup file'. and so does the one before.

quick repair comes up with 'invalid database'.

level 2 repair comes up with 'invalid database' too.

i find the sudden inability in last 24 hours to open really strange (especially when others recently seem to have similar sudden issues), yet I can trace nothing on my PC that has changed.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 12:16 AM
  • What part do you find similar? Yes, at least one was in the UK. But they did not report  the error that you are getting.

If you have only one backup file, and if you overwrite your backup file each time that you exit Money, and your file gets corrupted while you are using it, you back up a corrupted file, and you save the corrupted file.

Money 2005 UK has the ability to save a backup upon exit, and it also can save a backup on a scheduled basis. I have my scheduled backup go to a USB flash drive. I hope you have another backup somewhere. I can understand how painful it would be to lose my Money file.

You can search your C drive for Money and Money backup files with the following 2 commands run in a command window:

dir c:\*.mny /s

dir c:\*.mbf /s

Those will take a while to go through your whole drive. I hope there is something to find.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:09 AM
  • I have had the same error message as Cal Learner on loading MS Money 2002. It has worked fine for the past 2 years under Windows 10. It has also corrupted loading on my laptop without even being requested to open. The error just popped up on loading the OS.

I believe an updtae to Windows 10 in recent weeks has caused it. The only work around is to uninstall Money and then reinstall. This gets it working fine but within 2-3 days it corrupts again!!!

I have data going back over 20 years so world hate to lose it by having to migrate to another finance program.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:56 PM
  • I have had the same error message as Cal Learner on loading MS Money 2002. It has worked fine for the past 2 years under Windows 10. It has also corrupted loading on my laptop without even being requested to open. The error just popped up on loading the OS.

I believe an updtae to Windows 10 in recent weeks has caused it. The only work around is to uninstall Money and then reinstall. This gets it working fine but within 2-3 days it corrupts again!!!

I have data going back over 20 years so world hate to lose it by having to migrate to another finance program.

Any ideas?

1. That was dickieducker with the problem, and he is running Money 2005 UK, which is very different from any version of Money 2002.

2. What exactly is that error message?

3. Is that Windows 10 64-bit? There is also a Windows 10 32 bit. I understand that it is less used, but if I were going to run Money earlier than Money 2005 on Windows 10, I would want to use the 32-bit version.

My suggestion is to review your backup policies. Having only a single backup which you overwrite each time that you use Money is not a good idea. Keeping all of your backups on the same drive as your Money file is not a good idea. I hope your problem gets resolved. I hope others review their backup policies. At this point, copy what *.mny and *.mbf files that you have to different media, so that a future event does not lose those.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 3:12 PM
  • nbradley1083

Your issue isn't the same as the issue that Cal address in the previous post.  Rather is sounds like the issue that Billster67 reported here:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/002f4935-e618-4bd8-ad5d-68f443c65fc0/ms-money-2003-stopped-working-250817?forum=money

To help us help you, please post back in that thread with:

- the version of Windows that you are running on your desktop and your laptop.  You can see this by going to Settings>System>About.  That will show the Version and OS build.  These are important to know in case a recent update has, in fact, caused a problem.

- when does the error message occur?  At installation?  After a reboot?  When waking from sleep?

- what are the exact error messages for the desktop and laptop?

If you go to Settings>Update & security>Update history do you see any recent updates?  Have you tried uninstalling any of them to see it that helps?

Bill Becker

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 3:28 PM