Windows Live ID Password Not Accepted RRS feed

• Question

• (I signed in to Windows Live to post this message, so you can safely assume I know my password.)  When I try to set up my server for remote access and sign in with my hotmail account to create a domain it tells me the password or email address is incorrect.

I have never set up a domain with this server.  It's an HP EX485.

I configured my router manually.  Pretty straightforward.  I typed in the IP address from a web browser and it picked up the website (although the computer was on the internal network, I should test this from another IP I suppose.)

I will mention that I did have a demo copy of WHS about a year ago on a homebrew server, and I believe I used it to sign up for a domain name, but this doesn't explain why WHS won't accept my hotmail password, I don't believe.

I appreciate your help!!
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:32 PM

Answers

• Apparently there is a character limit on passwords for this service.  I had a 20 character pwd for hotmail (I use KeePass).  I reduced the password to something much shorter and it was accepted.

I wonder what the limit is?  Seems pretty crummy that the password limit on WHS is different, for whatever reason, than Hotmail.

Meh.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:31 AM

All replies

• Apparently there is a character limit on passwords for this service.  I had a 20 character pwd for hotmail (I use KeePass).  I reduced the password to something much shorter and it was accepted.

I wonder what the limit is?  Seems pretty crummy that the password limit on WHS is different, for whatever reason, than Hotmail.

Meh.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:31 AM

Meh.

Hi,

If you would like to see this behavior change, please submit a suggestion on Connect. Please be sure to include as much detail as possible in the bug i.e. the limit on characters.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:46 PM
  • It worked for me!!!!

I also reduced the password to something much shorter and it was accepted.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:08 PM