500GB free of 120GB ??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I started my WHS with a 120GB OS drive and then a couple 20's and 30's lying around for a total of 250GB. Then last weekend, I moved some hard drives around, and found that I had a spare 500GB.

So, I gracefully(through the console) removed one of the 20's and put in the 500. This is all working and fine. The system sees it, added it to the storage pool, and I can read/write files across the network.

There is one strange effect though. Now when I do file copies and other transactions to the server from a client, it reads as having 500+GB free of 120GB. All of my machines are Windows 7, and I think Windows 7 only cares about how much is "free" on the server. But it is a very odd thing to see 500GB free of 120GB.

Does anyone know why it looks like this?

Thanks for the insights,
    David

Friday, February 12, 2010 6:00 PM

Answers

• This is normal functionality. Windows Home Server shows the total space free in the storage pool as the "free space", but is only able to show the size of the drive the shares are exposed from as the drive size.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Scormodo Friday, February 12, 2010 11:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:42 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:31 PM

All replies

• This is normal functionality. Windows Home Server shows the total space free in the storage pool as the "free space", but is only able to show the size of the drive the shares are exposed from as the drive size.
    • Proposed as answer by Scormodo Friday, February 12, 2010 11:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:42 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:31 PM
  • I see. Thanks for the quick reply. Is this a problem for certain software that may check the capacity of a target drive?

Also any word from Microsoft on a fix so that the logical volume capacity is shown?

David
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Maybe; it would depend on the software. And no, nothing from Microsoft about a change to the way this works.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 7:52 PM
  • I still can't figure out why MS hasn't corrected this issue...
    Friday, February 12, 2010 11:47 PM
  • It's not really a problem as most software is only concerned about disk metrics at install time and then only free disc space, which is reported correctly.  Even then you'd never install software to the pool so it would never be a problem.

Basically if there is an issue other than aesthetics then I'd be interested to know.

All the best,
    Al

--
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:14 AM
  • Thanks guys. I appreciate the insights.

David
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:45 AM
  • It's not really a problem as most software is only concerned about disk metrics at install time and then only free disc space, which is reported correctly.  Even then you'd never install software to the pool so it would never be a problem.

Basically if there is an issue other than aesthetics then I'd be interested to know.

All the best,
    Al

--
    That's just it... it's aesthetics and likely simple to fix. So why not just fix it? There's tons of posts about this issue.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:53 AM
  • It's likely impossible to fix. The size of a partition comes from deep within Windows, probably from deep within the drivers for the HBA. It's not too hard to hook in to lie about the free space, so that's what they did.

In addition, resources are likely to be focused on Vail. If it's not a serious bug, it's not going to get any love even if you can fix it.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:19 AM
  • Even if it was a simple fix I'd rather they spend the precious resource on fixing bigger things rather than window dressing. 
    --
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:33 AM
  • I guess you could look at it as window dressing or you could look at fixing an irritation for the consumer who paid hard earned money for the product.

We know it's not a problem and understand it, but if you do a Google search, you'll find thousands of posts from less technoligically savvy users asking for help about this issue.

A fix could be something as simple as displaying a message on mouseover of the drive letter alerting the user to the issue.

Just my 2 cents....
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:53 AM
  • https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/525377/network-drive-from-whs-server-with-two-hard-drives-causes-wrong-total-free-space-total-size-output-in-w7

The bug report aboves details the response from MS - given the choice between correct free space and total I think it's the right decision.

--
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:00 AM