none
Sharing WHS music in ITunes RRS feed

• Question

• I have read the very interesting and useful comments on 'point iTunes at music folder on WHS'. I note that now the latest version of itunes (iTunes 9)  has added 'Home Sharing' which seems to be exactly what is required allowing sharing of iTunes library content between computers using iTunes, even purchased music and videos. Great BUT what we want is the same thing but where the content resides on WHS. This would possibly be achieved by having iTunes on WHS ( but I see from the comments that this is not sensible) or the iTunes component that acts as a server. Can we pressure Apple to produce this WHS add on or does someone know how we could just install the server element of iTunes (probably not allowed by Apple).
    for those who are interested in this I have posted a similar question on the Apple support site (from markusace)
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 2:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• You don't have to install iTunes on your WHS. There's a free iTunes compatible server which is called 'FireFly'. See my blog post on where to obtain it: http://www.home-server-addins.com/archives/244 The blog post also contains a link to a tutorial which explains what exactly FireFly is, how to install it and how to get it up and running.

Andreas M.

Saturday, September 19, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Thanks I will do that, but it still would be nice to have an Apple fully integrated one that updated with I tunes and looked after itself like most Apple stuff does.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:08 AM