live search not picking up new pages in sitemap and on site RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I published some new articles on my blog site last week and live search still has not picked up the new pages.  I have submitted a sitemap file that includes the new pages, and I have triggered the resubmit a couple of times.  The webmaster tools show that the site hasn't been crawled for the past 8 days.

Now here is some perspective:  I was able to submit my site to Google Custom Search and the new pages were showing up in Google in less than 4 hours.  The pages were also showing up in Yahoo by the next morning.  A week later and they are still not showing up in Live Search.  So you complain that Google has a monopoly on search, but with what I see here, there is no way I would use MSN Search SDK because I cannot get my pages into the index to even use the search engine.  If Microsoft wants to have a search engine that has significant market share, then it MUST have the pages in the index, and having a mechanism to submit new pages is critical to that end.  Without these, you are forcing people like me who naturally would use a Microsoft solution to have to use your competitor's solution.  That is not a good business model.

My advice to Microsoft is to provide a webmaster a way to submit their pages to your search engine in a manner that is updated very quickly in the public catalog.

As it stands now, I think the submision process is broken as it does not result in any new pages being indexed in the catalog.

Thanks,

Shan McArthur

www.shanmcarthur.net

Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:24 PM

Answers

• Yes, it appears as though the pages were added yesterday.  I have to reafirm that taking 3 weeks to add new pages to the index is completely unacceptable, especially for the Live Search SDK where customers want to use Live Search for onsite searching.  A 3 week delay will get Live Search disqualified immediately, and your customers will instead move to Google Custom Search.  Someone really needs to address this problem ASAP before more market share is lost.

Thanks

Shan

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 8:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Shan,

Thanks for the feedback. Have these pages been indexed yet?

Brett

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Yes, it appears as though the pages were added yesterday.  I have to reafirm that taking 3 weeks to add new pages to the index is completely unacceptable, especially for the Live Search SDK where customers want to use Live Search for onsite searching.  A 3 week delay will get Live Search disqualified immediately, and your customers will instead move to Google Custom Search.  Someone really needs to address this problem ASAP before more market share is lost.

Thanks

Shan

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 8:12 PM